Jay Leno back to old timeslot?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Seerek, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

2. uyeahu

uyeahu Agitator. Sharpie lover (figuratively speaking).

That's just bullshit. Conan is 10x funnier than Jay has ever been.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. martian_girl

martian_girl New Member

Co-signed.

4. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

This was a bad idea from the start, and it's no surprise it's not working. It was a move done by NBC because it filled a lot of holes in their lineup, and because it was cheap. So now they have more problems on their hands than they solved.

5. loopey

loopey Well-Known Member

Sounds like one hot mess!

6. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

Johnny Carson, as you know... or maybe you don't know, maybe you don't care......

7. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I like both Jay and Conan, but I'm not going to watch whoever is on later, at least not during the school year...

8. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

Conan may be funnier (agreed), but I believe his ratings are no where near Jay's. I believe Jay regularly beat Dave Letterman, too. Who is also way funnier.

9. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Well, it's a mess as it is. However, Conan will probably get mad and quit if Jay is given the 11:30 back. However, Conan is a lesser personality, so he will be bumped back, regardless of whether or not we like him better. Personally, I'm with Dave.

10. hydro

hydro Well-Known Member

Leno is old-school. Conan will attract the younger audiences. I think Conan is a better investment long term.

11. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I like Conan way better than Jay as well. Conan isn't as good at 11:30 as he was at 12:30, but still funnier than Jay, IMO. I've always found Jay annoying and he goes for the most obvious jokes and repeats them over and over again.

12. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

And that's why Jay is more popular with the general audience, I'd bet.

Not that it's necessarily a elitism thing. The day is long, and laughs shouldn't be hard to come by at the end of it.

13. shadymc

shadymc New Member

Craig Ferguson is the best of all of them. :cool:

14. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

As I recall, Leno had a very bumpy first season too...Letterman beat him all the time back then.

Can't stand Leno, love Conan, and I think it would be awful if this happened.

15. uyeahu

So, Leno FAILS at 10 and affiliates bitch and moan so Conan is the one who loses out? I just don't understand. Leno is the king of mediocrity. BOOO.

(Just to expand on my earlier post).

16. deltask8er

deltask8er Well-Known Member

Letterman had higher ratings at first. Leno substituted on the Tonight Show a million times before the gig was his, so viewers weren't as fascinated with Leno as a result. A few months into it (1993?), it settled into the pattern that Leno usually got higher ratings (he's in L.A., so his show gets the superstars first) but Letterman had a younger audience (the demographic age advertisers lurve). I believe Letterman was able to sell advertising time at a higher rate as a result.

Which is why NBC decided to keep O'Brien under contract....not lose him to another network..and decided who would replace Leno almost a decade before it happened :lol: .

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2004-09-27-leno-conan_x.htm

Other articles today:

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/07/update-nbc-plans-leno-at-1130-conan-at-12/

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118013455.html

I find the talk/comedy shows on cable tv more interesting, anyway. :blah:

17. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

Conan is more popular with younger audiences, there are many other edgier late night shows on cable for that timeframe. I believe that the 11:30 ET or 10:30 CST is a slightly older population who either turn to Letterman or CNN for late night TV since Leno left late night. Who will probably tune back in with Leno at that time.

Conan repeats jokes and banter too, just is more insulting and bitter about it. And there is usually nothing funny about it.

Personally, I prefer Chelsea Lately, she is edgy, funny and brings in others to help her.

18. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

I'm one who prefers Leno, but to be honest I don't watch him at the 10 p.m. slot. I'm usually watching something else or busy so I forget that he is on. I will sometimes be flipping channels and find him on at that time. However, I don't set out to watch him then like I did at 11:30.

I've never liked Conan, who I just don't appreciate. I know there are those who do though.

19. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

Maybe it's a personal thing, but I tried to watch Conan's monologue. Just couldn't get into it. Same with Ferguson. But I do love their talk with guests. Gotta give Carson and McMahon credit when imitations of them have become common stock among comedians. Their banter is a trademark! "How __ is it?" "It was so __..."

deltask8er and (deleted member) like this.
  20. deltask8er

deltask8er Well-Known Member

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703481004574646660133894126.html

:watch:

21. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

Heck yeah! Even my parents think he's hilarious! What I like about Craig and Conan is how random they are.. I'm a huge fan of random humour. Conan reminds me of my best guy friend from highschool.. same sense of humour.

22. soxxy

soxxy Guest

23. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

Everybody keeps talking about how this affects Conan. But what about Jimmy Fallon? Will Jimmy be unemployed because of Leno?

24. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Depends on what they do with Conan. I think people care more about Conan because he has been in place longer and should be treated as a valuable property by NBC - it will be quite a slam to him to put him back as 12:35am IMO. Jimmy Fallon's only been on the job for a few months, and I haven't heard anything about his show's ratings - only that it's so-so entertainment. I don't think it would have much impact to replace Jimmy Fallon - except to Fallon himself, of course.

If they're really looking to kick O'Brien back to 12:35, I hope he bolts for another network. That's really shady.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  25. libby

libby New Member

ITA. For some reason that I can't explain, his yodeling shark puppet makes me laugh so hard I actually disturb the neighbors.

26. soxxy

soxxy Guest

And ITA. I start laughing with anticipation when he takes the stage. There's something about him I can't put into words.

27. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100110/ap_on_en_tv/us_nbc_leno

Per this, the plan is to keep Leno, O'Brien and Fallon, only giving Leno a half hour (just a monologue?) and moving O'Brien and Fallon 30 minutes later for each. I still think Conan would be smart to shop around and see if another network will give him a better 11:30pm deal.

I thought this was interesting:
    Doesn't look like they're asking Fallon's opinion on it - which makes sense given his newness in the talk show game.

28. Jubak

Jubak Well-Known Member

I've never been able to tolerate Conan - reminds me of too many frat boys I've known. I much prefer Jay, but always have found other channels to watch at 10pm. I will be happy to see him back where he rightfully belongs.

My opinion, the original switch was a "New Coke" moment. No one wanted it or needed it. I too, feel sorry for Jimmy Fallon, not that I'm up watching him, as he's proabably going to be the sacrificial lamb.

29. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

It's unfortunate that they feel the need to "demote" Jay to monologue-only.
    He handles guests better than any of the others.

NBC should admit that this was a hare-brained idea; and return to the old-schedule, with generous "incentives", if necessary.
    It is ridiculous that they don't seem to have had a "contingency plan" in place to address the possible failure of the "grand experiment".

30. uyeahu

I actually think Fallon's new show is a better fit for 10:30 than Conan. Visually it's just a much brighter show. Conan's set is too blue and too dark and just feel's like late night. If I were Conan I'd just retire from late night and go back to writing or look into other opportunities if they tried to shove my show back a half hour.

Jay could retire from television tomorrow and I wouldn't miss him. I wouldn't even notice his absence.