Javier Fernandez

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by aftershocks, Dec 1, 2011.

1. aemeraldrainc

aemeraldrainc Active Member

2. aemeraldrainc

3. fan

fan Well-Known Member

people have asked about javi's conditioning - he is quite laissez fair about it. speaking to a coach at his rink, i've heard that he still smokes and hates to cross-train (ie never does it), but is very naturally talented with his jumping. we'll see if the olympic season will encourage him to cross-train a bit more effectively.

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Well I think he has very good skating skills. He has good edge quality and his blade is always on a lean one way or the other when it moves so he doesn't skate on flats. He also has good knee bend and ankle flexion and nice flow across the ice so there is a nice fluidity to his movement. I thought he was fast but I have only ever seen him on video.

I was first impressed with his skating skills in his drunk pirate step sequence. One of the most difficult thing to do is to appear off balance because you are taking your weight away from over your skate. At the same time he was completing difficult turns and was really pushing the edge to the limit. In his SP step sequence this season he does the same thing by having his body move from his balance point.

At the end of the day skating skills is more than just speed.

Does that help explain it?

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the links, aftershocks, Sylvia, and aemeraldrainc.
    I love Javi and am happy he has a fan thread here:)

btw, Aussie Willy, I always enjoy your explanations. Thank you.

6. Aussie Willy

Thank you. I really appreciate the nice comment.

7. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Wonderfully said. However, he does lack the ease of movement that Chan and Takahashi have. So if he is to have a run at Sochi (which he is perfectly capable of doing) I think he could further improve his flow.

8. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Wonderfully said. However, they do lack the consistency of very athletic quadruple jumps that Javi and Plushy have. So if they are to have a run at Sochi (which they are perfectly capable of doing) I think they could further improve their consistency and athleticism.

... Seriously, Patrick, a Canadian, lost to Javi, a Spaniard, at Skate Canada ... and Javi comes from a country where it hardly snows and has no skating tradition, although I'm certain it will not go unnoticed that Javi is a Euro Skater while the Canadian and Japanese are 4CC skaters.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  9. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan Well-Known Member

I hope he skates a stellar LP with all 3 quads! Sending him lots of good energy:)

10. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FERNANDEZ, KICK BOOTY IN THE FS!!:kickass:

Boy is he a fox, hope he lands all his jumps and leaps forward by a mile. :cool:

11. Synchkat

Synchkat New Member

Way to go Javi. Someone made some history!

12. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

:respec: :cheer: Javi! :cheer: :respec:

13. neptune

neptune Well-Known Member

In fact, he made Christopher Columbus look like an amateur. ;)

14. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

It was great he medaled! He could be a contender for gold in the near future.

15. liv

liv Well-Known Member

He already is a contender for gold, IMO....has been all season. If he hadn't made that mistake in the SP...

16. neptune

neptune Well-Known Member

It wasn't just that--his FS had a few hiccups too, but overall he did a fine job. At least there were no...um...falls. ;)

17. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I think it's too hard for Xavier to be perfect at every competition throughout the season with 4 quads and two 3a. He and Orser need to figure out how to peak next year for the Olympic and not at earlier events like Europeans, GPF, etc. He's a charming performer. I hope he keeps the Chaplin LP for next season.

18. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

19. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Jumping for joy over Javier's bronze medal!

20. aemeraldrainc

21. aemeraldrainc

Took the liberty of doing a rough translation:

Javier Fernandez keeps breaking the ice in a sport with hardly any tradition in Spain. Less than a month from becoming 22 years old, the skater from Madrid solidified his status as a star with a historic bronze medal in the World Championship, the first medal for a Spanish skater.

Fernandez has become the Spanish pioneer competing for the top places in the last few years. The first Spanish men’s Olympian in half a century and reached the top some months ago becoming European Champion.

The Worlds in Canada have confirmed the quality of an athlete who has had to leave his country and complete a preparation that could take him, next winter, to reach another frontier for Spanish figure skating: An Olympic medal in the Sochi Olympics 2014.

Fernandez’ performance also translated into 2 entries automatically attained for Spain in Sochi since these Worlds determined 80 percent of the entries for the Games.

His medal was especially commendable because it forced Fernandez to win the close battle for the third medal, after Canadian Patrick Chan, local hero, defending Champion and favorite, and an unexpected guest, Denis Ten from Kazakhstan, fought a tight race for the gold that resolved in favor of Chan, the biggest star right now.

Javier was in seventh place after the short program Wednesday. In the free skate he finished fourth(168.30 points) gaining the five points that separated him from the medals and gaining four places he needed to win a medal, which is more than the Spaniard expected. He was focused in finishing in the top five and getting an Olympic spot for Spain.

With suspense, he took the bronze away from the Japanese Yuzuru Hanyu by barely four points. It wasn’t a long program without faults, but his flashes of quality, the magnetism of his choreography and an already typical trademark of the Spaniard, his quadruples, made all the difference.

Becoming a young Charles Chaplin on skates, he began his skate with his hands in his pockets. Fernandez didn’t fail in his spectacular jumps, the first weapon of his army. He finished his long program with 168.30 points to place himself as temporary leader(249.06) before the last six competitors.

Only the first two in the short program, Patrick Chan and Denis Ten gained more points. The third place of the MadrileƱo(from Madrid) means the presence of two Spanish skaters for the men’s competition in the Olympic Games.

Javier excitedly hugged Brian Orser, the coach with whom he trains daily in Toronto, where he has established residence. He also saw one of his dreams come true: To share the medal stand with Patrick Chan, who the Spaniard considers the master of the current generation of skaters.

After his performance and while he waited for all the remaining skaters to finish, Javier’s heart “was going to explode. I was getting nervous, more and more every time. And when the last skater finished and I saw myself there, still in the third place, I didn’t know what to do: cry, jump…I ended up hugging Patrick” Javier said.

And Patrick Chan also had reasons to enjoy the hug. The local hero had to fight to get the gold from Denis Ten, from Kazakhstan , who was about to steal his short program advantage, where he attained the best marks of his life, 98.37 points. Ten made him suffer, but Chan finished conquering his third consecutive World title.

22. bardtoob

The gala exhibition ... really? :yikes: ... really?? :scream: ... really??? :rofl: ... He must be so confident in so many ways to pull that off.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  23. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Can you elaborate for those of us who didn't see it?

24. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

I really like that article. A nice balance of giving the facts, pouring in a bit of home town delight and giving credit where it's due.

His exhibition -- what a hoot. I was laughing my way through it.

25. bardtoob

Just watch the video when you get the chance.

26. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

See the video link in post #50.

27. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

It has its funny moments, but it definitely went on too long. It needs editing ! I couldn't see too well whom Xavier was "flirting" with during the "I Want To Know What Love Is" number; All I can see was a middle-aged man sitting at the barrier :lol:. Olivia-Newton John is always welcomed.

28. Aussie Willy

The exhibition was one of the funniest I have seen in a long time. I didn't realise he had such a sense of humour. I loved how he threw jumps in out of nothing. Also probably explains about his fitness if that is the way he trains :)

29. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Thank you- I missed that post somehow...

Thank goodness he medaled! Imagine if he wasn't in the exhibition and we had missed that!

30. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby Member

With an exhibition like that I'm sure he would have been invited anyways! :cool: