Javier Fernandez

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by aftershocks, Dec 1, 2011.

1. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

fp at Rostelecom: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyUt3i--bMw

With Orser watching: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMPhuhak-ls
    :lol:, not only watching, he's skating it with Javi!

sp at Skate Canada: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=GX5l5ezu3Lc

Javi is so easy on the eyes. :) Plus he rotates so quickly in the air and his quad jump landings have been very consistent and beautiful. (Of course, Javi needs to continue working on presentation, and improving centering on his spins).

Javi with Orser, right now seems like a match made in heaven. That fp is wonderful for Javi, and has the potential for a bravura skate. Lots of good wishes for Javier and Brian.

2. jenniferlyon

jenniferlyon Well-Known Member

I enjoyed watching Javier as well. And I'm so happy that Brian is doing so well as a coach.

3. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

Orser and his team have done an outstanding job with Javier. And what an added bonus that Javi's so :smokin:. A medal at worlds certainly isn't out of the question.

4. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

He has it all - but probably still needs to work on conditioning / run-throughs as I see him regularly opening his programs with beautiful jumps but faltering / singling on other triples near the end. This has cost him 2 GP golds.

5. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Joubert, Verner and Amodio are just on and off all the time, and the Russian men are very blah. I was thinking Fernandez and Brezina can give the veterans a run for their money for the Euro title.

At Worlds however, Fernandez will have to face these same people plus Chan, the Japanese and hopefully Abbott. A medal isn't totally out of the question but he will probably need some luck on top of being clean.

6. MorganaLefay

MorganaLefay Active Member

I like Fernandez, but can someone pls explain why his SS are so high? (I am not being sarcastic, I am really looking for some analysis). To me, his steps are very labored and his spins are not that impressive (the only thing that's light and amazing about him are his jumps).

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  7. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

You are so right, his spins are currently not that impressive.
    Steps are labored? I dunno, not in that SP straightline sequence, whee!:respec:

Sometimes his feet look almost too big. Maybe that's it?

My personal Javi bugaboo is FIX THAT DANGLING LACE wouldya pleasethanks so much:hat1: Other than that :D,
    he's :cheer2: STILL* my #1 pick for Future World Champion!!! :cheer2:

8. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

His steps were anything but labored at Skate Canada. He really sold them :kickass:

I really respect what Orser's done for him.

9. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Am I the only person who doesn't see much in him? His jump technique is very odd...

10. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

I'm sure you're not the only one...I thought this was a cheering thread, though:p

Javi needs much improvement in his speed and develop his artistry and own style futher more, but he's a born entertainer and charisma in spades he's got:hat1:

His jumping technique seems fine to me. The quads are a beauty, only the luz and flip is a bit off but I know he's working on those

11. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

:respec:

12. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

I love him, too. He's made such an incredible progress with Orser, it's amazing.
    And yes, he's extremely easy on the eyes ;)

13. floskate

floskate Vacant

Yes his lutz and flip are iffy but the rest of his jumps are gorgeous. Those quads are some of the best I have ever seen. Orser's team have done a wonderful packaging job and I see no reason why he can't gain the stamina, identity and skating skills to challenge for the very top over the next couple of seasons. He's such a natural. :cheer:

14. doctor

doctor New Member

This is exactly what I felt when I saw Javier skating live. I like that he’s trying hard to court the audience, but he was the slowest among the 6 skaters at GPF, and his jumps were not as high, either. However, I doubt he’d have the incentive to work on his SS, since he’s already so generously marked on PCS this season.

I also think he should work on his spins, but again he’s already receiving generous GOEs for his mediocre spins so I doubt he’d have the incentive to work on those.

15. aemeraldrainc

aemeraldrainc Active Member

16. aemeraldrainc

I originally posted this on golden skate so I just copied and pasted.

Rough translation. Here we gooo:

Spanish skater Javier Fernandez has finished 6th in the mens event at the European Championships in Sheffield (United Kingdom). Fernandez, who was in 4th place after the short program and was one of the favorites to medal,has not (wasn't able) to meet expectations after a bad free program, in which he only scored 142.15 points,more than 20 points less than his personal score.

Under the chords of Verdi(literal translation) the Madrileno(sorry don't have or I haven't figured out the ene letter on my phone yet, not sure how to translate, but basically means hehailsfrom Madrid)was aiming in the free program for a great degree of difficulty which included 2 different quads, the most difficult jumps done in competition. He was able to do the 2 quads, metz(??? Not familiar with the translation of jump names in Spanish, maybe someone can clarify?) and salchow correctly, but on his third element, the triple axel, he had a technical failure and wasn't able to even take off. From there other errors ocurred that took the Spaniard from 4th in the short to 7th in the free program to finally finish in 6th overall with a total scoreof 222.26,about 12 points from the bronze medal. Even though it's a disappointing result,it was an improvement from the Europeans in Bern in 2011 where he placed 9th. 6th place is the best finish ever for a Spaniard. Also, he maintains 2 entries for Spain for Zagreb 2012. In Sheffield, Javier Raya was the 2nd entry, but at the last minute, withdrew because of injury. As he admitted himself after he finished his program, "I should have fought for the medals, but after starting well, my head has gone away(literal translation, more like..I lost my head. You get the idea.) and I wasn't able to get back. I blame (again, literal translation, but it doesn't sound as bad in Spanish. Hehe. More like...I believe)thepressure and physical and mental weariness(tiredness) of the Grand Prix competitioens(affected me.) Now I can only train as hard as I can to try and be one of the best in Nice."

Some things I wasn't absoulutely sure about so if any Spanish speakers want to add anything...

The Lafuente bit..

Unfair scoring for Lafuente

From her part the Spanish representative in the ladies event, Sonia Lafuente, finished in 15th place with a total score of 133.64 points. Even though she dropped 2 placements from the short program, the truth is, Lafuente, who was 12th last year, had a practically clean long program that the judges scored extremely low and whose announcement was received with boos by the audience. The skater and her coach Carolina Sanz can't explain the scoring. "I always accept the errors and the deductions, but in this case, I don't agree." Sonia said after her program. From her part, her coach added that "the scoring and the program will be analyzed thoroughly."

In the last paragraph, its mentioned that Carolina Kostner won gold with a clean and "extremely simple" program. Lol.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  17. aemeraldrainc

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=fbLtvBs04aU

Also found this YouTube video where he says he's working on spins. I know this is not a recent video, but at least we know Orser and Javi are aware they can improve Javi's spins and are doing something about it.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  18. aemeraldrainc

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  19. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Good Luck to Fernandez. Hope he medals in Nice.

20. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Always glad to see competition coming from different countries.

21. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I always look forward to seeing him skate, and his skating looked much cleaner this year (at least in the GP events), but if your standard is classical style, then no, he probably doesn't do anything for you.

I'm one of those people who doesn't see why you can't like both Elvis and Curry.

22. aemeraldrainc

23. spikydurian

24. crosses9

crosses9 New Member

You can click on "news" column, it works for me.

25. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

26. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I hope Orser and Wilson don't have Javier skate like an Orser's clone this season.

Javier is skating to Charlie Chaplin for his LP. Another charming Spanish male skater also skated to Charlie Chaplin in 2003, but I can't remember his name.

27. spikydurian

Thanks Sylvia, the link works for me now.

Looking forward to Javier's new programs and improvements. Hope he medals in the Europeans and GP series. Javier is such a sweetie. Go Javier go. You can do it! Spain is proud of their son.

28. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Good luck to them.:kickass:

29. aemeraldrainc

30. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013