Jason Brown's US Nationals senior debut - opinions/constructive comments?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

very, very impressive :cheer:

2. ElinorD

ElinorD New Member

I saw Jason perform in Greensboro. He caught my eye doing a split jump in the short program warm up, and I was hooked. Mom and I are still gushing about his skating!
    As we left after the long, I saw him surrounded by people, signing autographs and posing for pictures while his coach beamed with joy! It was really sweet. He has a bright future. Love this kid!

3. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Actually, he caught my attention when the first thing he did in warmup for the SP was do 3 walleys on one foot and go the length of the ice
    :slinkaway: :biggrinbo:

4. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

I just watched his 2010 Junior LP to Pas de Deux, and I think his expression and overall skating is much more interesting this year than last year.

Then again it might be because I think Pas de Deux is a horribly repetitive piece of music to use for an entire program. I hated that music even when Shen/Zhao and Sasha Cohen used it.

5. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

That would do it for me too.

6. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

For all of you new Kori Ade fans (Jason's coach) I did an interview with her at 2011 Nationals a few hours after the Men's Short Program. It's VERY interesting, and she really gets into the obstacles and outside pressures she had to overcome learning how to coach him from "march, march, glide" to the skater he is today. Give it a listen: http://www.manleywoman.com/ . I think her interview falls at around the 22 minute mark.

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  7. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

Ladies have it worse because their weight is redistributed when their hips and breasts start developing in puberty. The whole core of the body changes. But both ladies and gentleman skaters have problems with growing taller because the added height (and often time weight) changes the center of gravity.

8. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

I first saw Jason last year on youtube (his sp and lp from Junior Nats -- a great win for him). He's a wonderful young skater, who is definitely someone I'm eager to watch and excited about among the next generation of up-and-coming skaters. I also enjoyed Joshua Farris' programs from Junior Nats. Sad that Joshua hurt himself in practice, I believe, this year and unfortunately didn't perform well at his first Senior Nats.

ITA -- it's great to see the depth in the men's field. The thing that distinguishes skaters like Jason B, Ross M, Richard D, Armin M, and some others is their musicality and the way they are learning how to overcome the strictures of CoP and to put together interesting programs with the necessary content, that also have substance, flow and great choreography, and not just throwing in everything but the kitchen sink for the sake of points. The challenge with CoP is making something beautiful and being strategic at the same time in getting in all that's necessary to gain the points, but to also have great choreography, musicality, and an artistic approach (i.e., love the story/ character that Dornbush reveals to Sherlock Holmes; and Miner's Casablanca). Was disappointed at NBC not showing Jason and Grant on the broadcast.

When I first saw Jason, he put a spell on me... Ohhh his coach is right to guide him steady as he goes. I think she's smart to focus on fine-tuning Jason's basic skating skills rather than having him attempt a 3axel in his senior debut, when he's still trying to master that jump. Their dedication to each other is very special (definitely reminiscent of Brian B and his coach, Linda Leaver). Last year at Junior Nats, the commentators mentioned that Jason's coach went to the hospital to have her baby's birth induced so that she would be able to attend Nationals with Jason -- it was obviously an important Nationals for him. That is true dedication.

IMHO, I can deny any similarities between Jason and Evan in terms of skating styles and movement over the ice. At his age, Jason is soooo far ahead of Evan at the same age, in terms of flow over the ice, artistic sensibility, graceful arms and musicality. IMHO, Evan never fully developed artistically and musically as a skater. Now, the thing is to see how Jason will progress with his jumps and his competitive skills. The main thing in common perhaps is that Evan and Jason are skaters from the Chicago area, and that Jason aspires to be an Olympic champion like Evan (but among up-and-coming skaters, who doesn't have that aspiration). I don't see anywhere Jason quoted as saying, "Evan is my idol." I root for Jason to go out there and continue doing his own thing -- gain inspiration from those who came before, but make his own unique impact. He's well on his way. Kudos to Jason, his coach, and his choreographer. And usfigureskating, please, hands-off this youngster -- allow him to develop fully and freely, with his ponytail if he desires, or with a Mohawk if he wants one, and without your and the media's hype, hoopla, costume critiques, and pitting him against one or more of his equally talented contemporaries.

Thanks for the link, though I usually try not to read Hersh, or if I do, it's usually with a grain of salt. On rare occasions, his tone and content may be worth reading, especially when he cuts down on the hyperbole, which he manages to some degree here (except for all the Evan/ Jason "aren't they so similar" comments -- especially that bit about height, as growth spurts are normal, but I doubt Jason is going to grow as tall as Evan). I can't help but cringe a bit thinking of the first time Jason has a bad comp at an important event, and the wrath of Hersh predicting doom and lamenting ..."these are my last words on this kid, because he's done for."

Figure skating is a roller coaster. Let's just take it easy and enjoy the ride ... have patience, celebrate with Jason, allow him to grow, to fail, to learn, to be himself without laying on too many expectations, and bad-mouthing him if things don't stay on the track we wish for him. In a way, maybe it's a good thing Jason wasn't shown on television in his senior debut. And for Ross, Richard, and veteran Ryan (the three R's), have fun in Tokyo, you all deserve it. Don't put any extra pressure on yourselves ... i.e., don't listen to nervous fs fans.

9. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

:eek::eek::eek:
    That is so, so wrong that I can't even begin to get my head wrapped around it.

10. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Constructive comments: He needs a new hair style.

Other than that, I think he should just keep on the same path.

11. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

I rewatched Jason's 2011 nationals SP and LP this weekend and...WOW! He is so light, musical, clean. I hope that he maintains these qualities as he progresses on the international scene.

By the way, my other faves among the "early men" not shown on NBC were Scott Dyer (so musical! gorgeous edges! shame about his SP error or he would have ended higher overall), Wes Campbell (so tall & elegant) and Jonathan Cassar (the man who'll never-ever wear an accessory again while skating).

12. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Well, I can tell you that many women have inductions for lesser reasons than that...

His ponytail is fine, imo, why not have a style that gets you noticed? Of course, his skating is speaking just fine for itself.

13. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Well-Known Member

Sorry but I just can't resist... I was induced because the doctor was going away on vacation and he had an opening on a convenient weekend to get the job done so my mom wouldn't have to change doctors. Because it was a weekend mom-in-law was available to come and stay with the older siblings.... All my life I have felt that I was probably born in the wrong zodiac sign as I ended up in the last days of one sign and many in my family were in the next sign. Now with this possible shift in zodiac dates I am actually firmly in the middle of the same sign I was born in - who knew.

14. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

Loved him.
    I saw him first on the JGP this season but like Floskate wasn't wowed there - maybe because of the performance that day or maybe because of the tiny screen.

What I loved especially is his jumps out of nowhere. Normally you see ten minutes before if a skater sets up for a jump but twice in his program he completely surprised me and just jumped in the air out of fantastic transitions. :swoon:

I also love how close he seems with his coach and how dedicated they both seem to be to his progress.

What I would suggest (and maybe he does it already) is for him to go to other coaches for a few weeks in summer just to get additional feedback and training. This benefits almost every skater and for him it can be a new fresh incentive and maybe a way to learn the harder jumps.

All in all - I cannot wait to see him develop. :swoon:

And I even like his nerdy ponytail. ;)

15. Hedwig

Btw, was Kori Ade a competitive skater herself?

She is really gorgeous looking. :)

16. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Brown reminds me of the first time I saw the young Stephane Lambiel skate at Europeans in 2001. He screams potential.

Brown's tight jump rotation indicates to me that the triple axel and the quad toe won't be far away, either.

17. geod2

geod2 New Member

I don't follow men's skating much, but this thread was worth the effort.
    Dumb Question: why did it take a week after Nationals for this young man's performance to generate so much buzz on this board??? (or did I miss it?)
    Thank you Sylvia, for starting this thread.

Since you asked....
    From the very first notes of the music, I was instantly transported back to Shizuka's FS at Torino....a very magical and happy thought, and good start for me.
    At the point where she did that purrrrrrfect Ina Bauer, Jason's version changed pace into something very interesting, and what really brought out his best qualities...
    fluidity, precision, and confidence.
    He attacks his performance with no hesitation...knows exactly what he wants to do.
    Unlike some FSUers, I didn't get a sense of him outgrowing himself, physically or in style /content.
    If he can maintain his weight and flexibility as he matures, a future U.S. Men's championship is his for the asking.
    One thing, though....ditch the 1960's Woodstock hair and Star Trek uniform.
    A little image consulting would do wonders.
    But otherwise, Jason is amazing!

(Uh...why is this thread in the Trash Can??)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  18. dupagegal

dupagegal New Member

OK for the record her I have to say something.
    Jason Brown is a fantastic skater with great talent. I believe Rohene had a major role in Jason braking through to get confidence in his jumps. In fact I saw it.

As for The comments that Kori is not working on the 3x with him because he is young and she does not want him to have hip replacements at an early age is complete shiznit.

Kori worked with him on the 3x for quite some time this year. In fact he is 2 footing it. Period and I don't like the spin I hear. And Im not talking about the rotation of the jump.

19. geod2

geod2 New Member

OK, a very interesting, exciting, and talented, 17 y.o. mens figure skater isn't quite ready for a 3X...your reason for drawing attention to this fact is more relevant than why he isn't quite "3X-ready" at age (barely) 17...
    Your point would be???
    WTF???

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  20. dupagegal

dupagegal New Member

My reason for drawing attention to this has nothing to do with Jason silly girl. We at the rink all get quite tired of the Kori spin.

21. 2sk8

2sk8 Active Member

What she said -

22. Hedwig

Kori spin? What do you mean by that? :confused:

and btw "silly girl"? What about writing without childish personal attacks!!??

23. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

She's referring to the political spin, I'm assuming. Correct me if I'm wrong, but according to dupagegal: Kori Ade is telling people they are holding off on the 3Axel, and yet are practicing behind the scenes all the time. Correct?

And if so, I don't really see a conflict of interest between the two statements. Team Jason would be foolish NOT to work on it somewhat at this stage, but it was clearly a smart decision to leave it out of the program if it's not ready for prime time.

24. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Funny how someone so hypersensitive has no problems calling other people names.

25. salsalicious

salsalicious Guest

I was so glad to come upon this discussion, Jason definitely deserves his own thread after that skate!

I was absolutely blown away by his skate at nationals. The way he carries himself, and connects not only to the music but is able to bring the audience into his artistry is breathtaking. He got me out of my seat before he finished the program and brought tears to my eyes. I had never heard of him before seeing him live in the men's lp and I am so excited to watch his career progress. He's certainly one to watch.

26. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Jason was superb! Sadly, this is not the first time NBC has messed up! I also felt that Jonathan Cassar's free skate should have been shown (spread eagles to die for, plus a cute reaction in the K&C - he lost his chain during the short program, the flower sweepers couldn't find it, Jeremy was on next, and had to wait a bit, Parker Pennington was the "hero" and found the chain on center ice, so Jonathan's checking his chest for no chain during the free skate was related to that). The same for Amanda & Mark in Cleveland 2 years ago. They won the pewter medal then, had a very warm standing ovation from the audience, yet NBC never bothered to show their free skate (they starting airing the competition live after that). Go figure. :(

27. geod2

geod2 New Member

Any other thoughts on Jonathan?
    Was hoping his career would move forward roughly in tandem with Alissa's, but that's not the case.
    He has so much to offer, but his coaching change didn't have the same impact.
    What has to happen for him to get to the next level and really get noticed?
    This is OT, and maybe we need a separate Jonathan Cassar thread.

28. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

How old is Jonathan? Does he have a triple / triple and atriple axel?

29. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

30. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

I posted earlier in this thread: "According to reliable hearsay info, Rohene Ward helped Brown get his 3Lz and 3F more consistent in the summer of 2009 prior to the Broadmoor Open that June when Brown's coach, Kori Ade, took some time off to get married."

Jason trained in Lake Arrowhead, Calif. this past summer (he competed in the LA Open last July) and spent some time in Colorado Springs as well, from what I've heard. So it makes sense to me that he's been working on the 3A but that it's just not ready for competition yet.