Jason Brown's US Nationals senior debut - opinions/constructive comments?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Add me to the list of new fans. This was the first time I'd seen him and was totally blown away. What gorgeous basics, and the flow out of those landings is amazing. He really seems like a sweet kid from the impression after the skate with his absolutely stunning coach. I can't wait to see this boy develop. Oh, also very impressed with the way mens skating in America is developing.

2. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I really like Jason and think he has loads of potential. You really can't deny his similarities to Evan Lysacek though, I noticed it particularly in the great flexible spins, but they also jump and use their arms similarly. But it seems like Evan is his idol, so I think it's kinda cute he wants to be like him.

3. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

He's great! I see him challenging for the Olympic team in three years.

(Is it just me, or does he look like Kimmie Meissner?)

4. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Just before Jason skated, when he came out for the warmup, one of the ladies I was sitting next to said that she had flown back from last year's nationals on the same plane, seated near Jason and Kori. She said Jason was such a nice kid, and was feeding Kori's new baby for her, and helping with things.

Then he skated. I could so definitely see the Rohene touches in that LP, but Jason could actually skate them in a performance, whereas Rohene seemed to leave his performances on the practice ice.

I absolutely loved both of Jason's programs, and was out of my seat applauding him like crazy!

The audience didn't want to let him go.

I would have given him the best PCS scores of any the competitors there, including Jeremy Abbott.

Ice Network has an interview with Jason, done by Peter Carruthers after the men's LP as one of the "AT&T Ice Desk" segments on Jan 30.
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110114&content_id=16439784&vkey=ice_news

You have to scroll down to find it.

Rohene had a nice triple axel as well as a quad toe, so I'm guessing if Kori has any problems with teaching the two jumps to Jason, that Rohene may help.

I hope Jason keeps Rohene as his choreographer-I loved the way that moves in that program kept surprising you-you'd thing he be setting up for one thing, and pow, it was something else, done in combination, most times.

The only constructive criticism I might have is with one of his camel spins-one of his position is pretty radical, and you say to yourself is that a camel spin or an upright spin at this point? I think in the SP? However, I really liked the spin; it just didn't COPize perfectly. So I'd advise when he's doing a cool new move to have it checked out for COP compatibility with one of the experts before he gets too far into a season.

He's a wonderful skater and his LP performance is one that I will rewatch many times.

Oh--Jason skated during the 2008 Skate for Hope ice show benefit for breast cancer, because his aunt has had breast cancer.
    2008 Skate For Hope (breast cancer fund raiser)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdogNHFaB9A&feature=related
    Kori Ade interviews Jason Brown after the skate
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHdxv547zno

Is the woman interviewing him his coach?

And here are the rest of Jason vids I've found on youtube:

2011 US Nationals (Senior) SP Baliwood by King Circle
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaTW6dT3Yjc

2011 US Nationals (Senior) LP Turandot
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFVz7WJgkK0&feature=related

ETA FIXED LINK
    Let It Snow, Dallas Galleria (skating around the huge Christmas tree base) December 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf2uQMOhIeg&feature=related

JGP Courchevel 2010 SP Baliwood
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WML-ZLpYWtk

JGP Courchevel 2010 LP Turandot
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlkMxQJA47k&feature=related

JGP Couchevel 2010 Exhibition
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xNh6GWU_pY

2010 US Nationals Sp Hey Pachuco by Royal Crown Revue
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tud02T7VmM&NR=1

2010 US Nationals winning LP in Juniors to Pas de Deux (Nutcracker)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEh0bm-oRtM

Opening of the Wrigley outdoor Rink (Nutcracker)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f383kZwZFg8

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  5. MoreIce

MoreIce Member

I just love Jason's skating! Everything about it. His performance at nationals was breathtaking. I also hope that he gets his triple axel and is still able to perform the same way. I love the relationship he has with his coach and I hope that continues. I know that Kori along with Jason and other students of hers were at ice castle this summer, so I'm sure coaches there worked on his jumps as well.

6. ryanbfan

ryanbfan New Member

If you are asking if Kori Ade is his coach, yes, she is. :)

7. inthemiddle

inthemiddle Active Member

Actually there was some interview when he said Evan is his idol :lol:
    I'll try to find it.
    --------------
    Here it is
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/spo...s-path-from-suburban-chicago-to-olympics.html

8. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

LOL! I was just guessing based on his skating style and the way he lands his jumps. I figured he was a big fan but to be honest, he is probably too young to be a huge fan of Kwan. Gosh, I'm getting old!

9. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

I've never seen this kid skate before, but WOW!!!! :eek: If I was in that arena, I would've been standing up and clapping as soon as he started that last spin. :biggrinbo :cheer2:

I agree with Ziggy though, his musicality and expression is amazing, but if overdone could cross that line into frenetic (like the last two OGMs, IMNSHO). I think that if he could polish his body lines further, he would be even more stunning.

10. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

Jason has impressed me as well and I will be looking forward to see him starting to jump a 3A in his programmes. His skating is very pleasing to the eye!

I´m happy to hear that he is a hard worker, and hope that he stays that way even after all the gushing fans may be expressing.

11. Auntie

Auntie New Member

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20110126/news/701269979/

Scroll down the article to read about Jason and Kori. She sounds like a thoughtful, fantastic coach.

I really enjoyed Jason and my only (very slight) criticism is that there is something gangly about his lower arms/hands that I find distracting, specifically in the parts of his program where he does lots of fast arm waving. Maybe he's got a bit of a puppy thing going and just needs to grow into his hands. :dog:

12. dupagegal

dupagegal New Member

Lets let the boy grow and mature before we put a gold medal around his neck!

13. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

14. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Jason grew 4 or 5 inches this last year, so it's not surprising he has the "puppy hasn't quite grown into his paws yet" look. I just hope he doesn't grow too much, to where it makes it more difficult to get the 3A and 4T :worry:

BTW, I love the fact that when he ends his Let It Snow ex in Dallas, he does a snow angel on the ice.

I'd be very sorry if he went too much further towards a balletic look--so often that is the road to cookie cutter boredom for me. His extension and line is quite good enough for me right now.

15. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

You mean the second position in the final combiantion spin here?

That has to be intended as an upright spin because all three basic positions are required in the short program and are required for higher than level 1 in the senior long program.

I can see where there might be some room for confusion, though. Since the tech panel awarded the level, they must not have been confused.

Nice that he can get level 4 without relying on more position changes than necessary and fit the spin positions to the music/choreo theme.

Thanks for the links, BTW. :)

16. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Kori Ade sounds really interesting -- and she coaches at four different rinks (possibly because freestyle ice time is scarce?):

A self-confessed science nerd with a degree in forensic skeletal biology, Ade has a different way of relating to male skaters.
    “Boys are told from the beginning that they are tough and they just need to do it,” Ade said. “I try to coach them the way they are socialized. I tell them that they can't be afraid of this experience. I don't walk on eggshells with any of my skaters, but especially not with my boys.”
    She harnesses a pack mentality that she feels boys tend to harbor by giving her male skaters semiprivate group lessons where they feed off each other's energy. Ade has also developed what she calls TAPS, or total athlete performance seminars, that her skaters attend as a team. Topics covered include nutrition, visualization and sports psychology.

Read more: http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20110126/news/701269979/#ixzz1D0XGFhj8

17. PUNKPRINCESS

PUNKPRINCESS New Member

I LOVE YOU.

Not that I am anti-ballet (not at alllll), but I hate how certain people demand it in figure skating...

Yes, I agree. Wow, the coach is a science nerd, and she's pretty and nice? I like her!

That's from the Hersh article, and that strikes me as very wise, though I'm no expert. Of course we'll know how well that works out only by waiting and watching.

I'm trying to not get my hopes up too much because I don't want to experience the other possibility... :blocjudge

18. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I didn't say that Brown should skate in a balletic style. He can skate in any style he wants to.

But a ballet teacher could teach him how to move his arms properly. Because at the moment his arm movements are a bit floppy and messy.

Again, I'm not sure what do you mean exactly but whilst it would obviously be very boring if every skater skated in a balletic style, ballet training is a perfect base for skating.

It teaches correct posture and body lines, improves core strength and flexibility.

19. floskate

floskate Vacant

With his level of flexibility - his russian splits, split flip and split falling leaf are as good as it gets for a guy, lets face it - I'd be shocked if he didn't take ballet already. I would think he perhaps takes Jazz too judging by his exhibitions and SP's.

20. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

At the risk of sounding obsessive :lol: I'll add my little Jason story to the pile. The day before the men's SP, my sister and I spotted Jason on the concourse (thank goodness for the ponytail!). Having seen his junior men's FS last year, as well as his sectionals performances, we were already highly interested in him, so we went to say hi. We gushed about how we love his skating, and he was so gracious - he was beaming and kept saying "thank you!" My sister then asked for an autograph, and he said, "Sure - anything!" So my sly sister said, "Oh, well, in that case, can we get a photo too?" He laughed and said "sure!" After the FS, we again spotted him on the concourse and stopped by really quickly just to tell him how much we enjoyed his performances, and again he was super-gracious in thanking us. :)

So not only do I love the boy's :kickass: skating, I love his personality - he seems like the perfect combination of confidence and down-to-earthiness. Not at all arrogant or thinking he was above talking to the fans. :rollin:

21. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Oh yeah he most likely does. His posture is quite decent, he's very flexible, musical. I was just being nitpicky about one thing that I think could get better because nobody is perfect. ;)

22. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

Jason Brown has to be the biggest breath of fresh air I've seen in skating in a long time. :respec:

That performance deserves it's own thread and the gushing that goes along with it. Thanks for the link Sylvia! :D

23. shine

shine Well-Known Member

His LP made me cry. Loved the constant moving and the final circular footwork. The last 3lutz and 3flip/2toe/2loop were just glorious. How incredible is it to have delivered a classic like that already at 15?
    I don't really agree with the criticism of his arms. I think with all the choreography he has with them, they seem surprisingly controlled. He was able to project without looking messy.
    His musicality, style of movement, skating skills, flow and transitions are a dream. And I'm already sounding like an ueber. But I'm afraid to love him. Will he grow into a great champion or will he become one of those artistic headcases I've loved over the years? A lot of the times they seem mutually exclusive.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  24. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

He doesn't need to be balletic, but I don't like gangliness either - which is what prevented me from getting into Evan's skating because I found so many of his limb positions unnatural and awkward.

I have no background in dance, but I'm pretty sure that there's some way that Jason can use his arms and body with the same amount of expressiveness but with even more command and commitment to the movement. He's still young though, I'm sure he'll find his definite style with time :), but what a starting point!

25. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

I had seen Jason previously in comps on IN, but Greensboro is where I first got to see him skate live. I had always enjoyed his skating before, but now I am an UBER! :rollin: Honestly, the electricity in the building during his skate and the reception was on par with Shen/Zhou's 2003 Worlds program. :encore:

His free skate was THE performance at Nationals for me... and there were a lot of great performances (even some from skaters who were nowhere near the podium but who gave personal bests! :cheer: ) to be enjoyed.

I have to admit I am even more amazed now after reading that Hersh article that he has had such a growth spurt this season. Such things are always making it difficult for skaters to retain their jumps, but I am hopeful that it is nearing it's end and he will begin working on that 3A.

If I were to make any constuctive suggestions to make his skating more fabulous, I guess they would be a few "simple" things: more tension in his arms/hands/fingers, especially during footwork sequences. Use all of the rink - sometimes he is a good 3-5 feet away from the ends when doing crossovers before jumps. Get further down into his knees for more speed and deeper edges (not that either are poor right now).

Other than both being from Illinois, I don't really see anything in Jason's skating that reminds me of Evan's style-wise. Evan's programs seemed rather intense and often frenetic to me; Jason's programs seem far more lyrical. He reminds me more of Kozuka than Lysacek.

If he does decide to try other choreographers I hope he chooses Tom Dickson to work with; I think that would be a wonderful match.

26. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

The back split into 3sal is fantastic. So is his sit cross-foot spin.

Jason reminds me of Robert Waggonhoffer.

27. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I would imagine growth spurts aren't as deadly to the guys as they are to the ladies. Men just get bigger and stronger but the girls bodies change in ways that a guy doesn't have to worry about.

28. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Le sigh, I know exactly what you mean! Jason also has an adoring fan in me. He was my favorite of the freshmen class at Senior Nationals! Sadly, the judges on the senior level are never going to give him the nod if he doesn't acquire a 3Axel. I believe Brown can do it though! I love his coach's strategy to work on his basic skating skills prior to adding a potential 3Axel or quad jump. There are so many men who only think about the big jumps and completely neglect the art and difficulty of actually learning how to skate well. For me, it doesn't leave a good impression if your jumps "are like gravy," yet you slowly and laboriously move across the ice like a dying walrus or have the flat, cheesy choreographic vision of a 6 year old. :yikes::shuffle::scream:

29. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I have zero criticism. Jason is amazingly gifted, and I adore his skating.
    Nationals was the highlight, but apart from a little inconsistency at this year's JGP ( and he might be the type to peak later in the season), he seems to have a great head on his shoulders, as well.
    So just wishing him health, and to be nurtured and not overwhelmed. Go Jason:)

30. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Well-Known Member

Thanks to the buzz here on FSU I watched Jason's performances at Nationals and you can add me to his fan list. Not only was his skating thoroughly entertaining, but his skate blades have a connection to the ice and exceptional power for someone his age. In my mind, if making any comparison of his basic skating and how his blades just sing on the ice, I would have to go with a likeness to Patrick Chan for skating skills, rather than Kozuka - particularly because of the power, since I think both Chan and Kozuka have edges to die for. It seems an almost organic way of skating to me.