Jason Brown's US Nationals senior debut - opinions/constructive comments?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

I'm glad that Japanese TV (JSports Plus) bought the rights to televise 2011 US Nationals in Japan -- link to a video of Jason Brown's Senior FS from their broadcast:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFVz7WJgkK0

Your thoughts? (Please include in your post if this is your first time seeing this young skater or when you first saw him skate. :))

ETA video link to Brown's international debut -- his Junior FS to the "Pas de Deux" from Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite at Gardena Spring Trophy in Italy (April 2010): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6P-EycfmS0

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  2. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

He was freaking fantastic! Love his style, love his transitions, love the height and flow on his jumps, love his musicality; I hope he ages well, I hope he doesn't lose any of the above if he adds a 3A or quad to his arsenal. Really a beautiful, wonderful skater!

(Jason and Cassar for Sochi for me!)

3. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

I'm very high on him & his talent. I first watched some of his programs on YouTube in December & thought to myself, "Wow! All he needs is a triple axle & a quad & he'll be a contender at Worlds." I'm just amazed at the talented teens we have in the men's discipline. The next few years will be an exciting time to follow them & their progressions. (No failures allowed! LOL!)

4. floskate

floskate Vacant

I first saw him in a video of JGP Courcheval. Liked what I saw but it was a tiny internet feed so it didn't wow me. Then I saw his score in the US Nats Mens LP pbp thread and thought I had to see that 'cos I knew he didn't have a triple axel so that is one HUUUUGE score without the big tricks.

I absolutely love both the SP and LP. He never stops moving from the first second to the last but it's all done so cohesively. His programs are very well choreographed and he's soooo musical he really knows how to make them work and not just go through the motions. Wonderful and inventive spinner too; I hope he can hang on to his flexibility as he matures. Add in the wonderful flow, good edge work, wonderful knees and you have one rather :kickass: skater already!!

Of course he needs a triple axel to get out of Nationals and a quad to make it to the very top but I think he has the talent to do it. I also love the fact that he adores his coach and isn't going anywhere without her despite pressures from elsewhere in the sport to move to a 'bigger name'. If it worked for Brian and Linda there's no reason it can't work for Jason and Kori.

What's so great was watching the NBC feed and seeing one great skate after another - Rippon, Dornbush, Mahbanoozadeh, Messing, Miner - then going back and finding there was another guy who actually skated as well as - if not better than - all of them. It's shocking that NBC didn't show him but at the same time another year under the radar of the general public isn't necessarily a bad thing. When he has a triple axel consistently landed in his programs is when you really want to make your media splash. But it doesn't hurt that the judges are already recognising his prodigious talent and giving him the marks he deserves, although I think his PCS actually should have been even higher again!

So have I gushed enough? No? Ok gush gush gush some more :cheer: :cheer2: :cheer: :cheer2:

5. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Floskate, I don't think there is such as thing as too much gushing for Jason Brown! :)

He gave us all chills!!! Everyone in the arena went bonkers, and I overheard so many people gushing about him after the competition was done. (I just hope people aren't going to pressure him to cut off his ponytail... it might give him special strength, like Samson! :))

Wishing him the best at Junior Worlds!

6. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

My constructive comment is for the judges: give him the PCS he deserves, esp. in the TR score. There were great connecting moves everywhere in that lp!

7. Nan

Nan Just me

Soooooo much to like about Jason, but I think this is what caught my eye first. His moves are so smooth and his landings so solid. He never made me "worry" about any of his moves or jumps.

I think this might be the one I've been waiting for. :D

8. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

I love him. I had never heard of him until the first men's practice and he blew me away. When I saw that this "little kid" was going to skate to ND, I :rolleyes:..Silly me..He owned that music in every practice. How could he not get a standing "O" in a practice session with a clean run-through...twice? I wept.

After the first practice I went out for a ciggie and I saw the coach putting things into an SUV in front of the practice arena. I complimented his skating to her and she said into the car.."Jason, Come out here. You have a fan here." He was darling. It was drizzling..I said to him.."Get back in the car. I don't want to be a career ender." I saw him a few other times in the concourse and each time he gave a chipper greeting. One of the greats of the sport predicted that he was one to watch...she was right.

9. Helenista

Helenista New Member

I have been watching him for a couple of years. It was great to see that performance at Nats and I think we're going to see a lot more of him in the future. He's really got "it."

10. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I've just discovered him at US Nats.
    He is amazing. I love his flow, spins, steps...not so much his style, but he is young.
    And he gives everything, that's really entertaining !
    He and his coach in the KnC were so lovely !

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  11. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I though he was great! So many people were standing up before he was even finished, that rarely even happens at Worlds; By the end, I don't think anyone was in their seats!!!

I can't wait to see more of him. :) :rollin:

12. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

I remember seeing Brown and Farris two years ago place 1 - 2 in men's NOVICE at U.S. Nationals and thinking, ooooh, here's some talent to look out for.

Was absolutely gob-smacked to see the skater he has become in two years. Brown's program is a keeper and one I have watched about half a dozen times now.

Shocking to think this 16 year old newbie skates like a seasoned veteran.

13. Sylvia

Actually, Brown placed 3rd as a novice in 2009 (behind novice champion Farris and silver medalist Steven Evans). Link to his USFS/IN bio: http://www.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=100826&mode=I

I've added a video link to my original post of Brown's international debut in April 2010. It doesn't come up in a youtube search because his name isn't in the title and it's misspelled in the description. ;)

ETA the following comments about Brown's Nationals FS that were posted in another thread:

14. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

3rd!! My bad. But that makes this result at the senior level even MORE impressive. Go Jason.

15. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

About five years ago Jason and I took our Junior Moves test on the same session, so he'd been practicing at my rink a lot. he was just getting the double Axel then. He was TINY and always a nice kid and super hard worker.

16. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I think he surprised himself!
    May this be the first of many "skates of a lifetime" for Jason.
    I'm delighted to "gush", along with the rest of you.

17. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

BY FAR my favorite on the men's side. He was a total throwback to the days before COP because he made everything flow seamlessly together! I didn't care if he did a 3axel or not because what he did do he did very very well. I could watch his program all day long. I have a feeling he is a big fan of Johnny Weir and Michelle Kwan. If he gets a 3axel then he could really challenge the best next year at Nationals.

18. ryanbfan

ryanbfan Active Member

Thought I'd share one of my Jason videos - him at the Galleria skating in our show this past December: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf2uQMOhIeg

He is very impressive, he projects to the audience (his movements are sharp, solid, and he makes it so people even high up in the arena can see them) and he has great speed.

19. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

20. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I had never heard of this guy until the discussion on the mens thread so I had to have a look. From the US Nats FS video on youtube I was blown away. He covered all the bases from a PCS aspect and I would have been in the 8s. I wonder if the round table discussion for the judges after the US mens might have brought that up. A judge could have certainly been justified in giving those kinds of marks. And not one PCS was a weakness. The program was loaded with transitions which worked choreographically and the music was wonderfully interpreted. As for skating skills, he used both directions, had speed and flow and exceptional balance. He used his whole body. You never felt on edge watching him. And for a boy he has lovely arms.

I would much rather watch a kid like that all day than Bradley who was the eventual winner.

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  21. jlai

jlai Title-less

I have loved Jason since early last season. That said, considering how many times my heart is broken by a promising junior, I dare not tempt skategod with any gushing until he actually medals at junior world or makes it to the grand prix circuit.

ETA: constructive feedback: I hope he will not lose his fun side as he goes senior and does the harder jumps. I loved his short last season, but I kinda thought he became somewhat more conventional with his recent long program choices and choreography. (Hey, you asked for constructive. :) )

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  22. Taso

Taso Well-Known Member

First, I want to say I was blown away by thatfootwork into triple flip/double axel/twizzles/footwork sequence. Seriously, I can't even believe I saw that! His back-cross sit spin is incredible, too. My one piece of constructive criticism - take out the lame David Wilson facestroking. I feel like skaters use it to try and express sincerity or something, and it always looks really insincere. And more importantly, he doesn't need it.

23. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

This was my first time watching Jason Brown. I must say I have quickly become a fan. I am almost never moved to tears by skating, but this has moved me to tears. Such a wonderful performance!

Looking forward to seeing more of his skating in the future.

24. PUNKPRINCESS

PUNKPRINCESS New Member

He is ridiculously good and seems like a nice kid. PCS's were lower than they should have been. Hardly noticed the lack of 3A in his LP.

25. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

My first time seeing him skate, live at Nationals! I was blown away, jumped out of my seat to applaud along with everyone else! He was spectacular. I didn't expect to see such an amazing skate from him but he and Richard Dornbush will be my favorite memories of the men's free at nationals this year.

26. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Oh I didn't notice there is a thread about him.

He is amazing.

Definitely one of the most interesting US skaters.

Gorgeous basic skating and very impressive connecting movements in his programs. He moves over the ice with beautiful flow.

Lines could improve. He makes a lot of effort presenting his program and he is very expressive with his arms but the way he holds them is a little messy. They aren't extended properly.

We can dream.

27. Sylvia

Thanks for the constructive comments in between the mainly gushing ones so far! ;)

I'm reposting and replying to the following 4 Jason Brown posts (originally posted in the Zakrajsek thread) here:
    Good question -- does anyone know if Boitano mentioned anything in past interviews or in his book?

According to reliable hearsay info, Rohene Ward helped Brown get his 3Lz and 3F more consistent in the summer of 2009 prior to the Broadmoor Open that June when Brown's coach, Kori Ade, took some time off to get married.

Yes, and I often am reminded of some :cool: "Rohenesque" moves and spin positions in Brown's skating. :)

ETA:
    Yes, 2A and all the triples except for 3F in his reverse direction (clockwise).

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  28. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

Jason has been this solid and spot on since Pre-Juv. Down to earth, very sweet demeanor, just keeps getting better and better. Definately not a flash in the pan, he will be here for years to come.

29. tlk

tlk Active Member

I first saw him at nationals in 2010 winning the junior. Very impressed! Can't wait to see more in the future!

30. hirshey girl

hirshey girl Well-Known Member

Regarding Brian Boitano and coaches, I went back and looked at "Inside Edge".
    The book quotes Leaver as saying that she took Brian to training camps run by some of the top names in coaching so it's conceivable that one of these coaches helped him get the triple axel. The only names mentioned in the book were Gailhaughet (helped with figures), Nicks and the Scotvolds who Boitano worked with during the summers (1984-1987). As for Jason, loved him!!! Could easily become an uber, but trying to show some restraint. ;) Looking forward to watching him in the future.