Jason Brown Uber Thread: Someday is Today

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Mrs. P, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Tavi

Tavi Well-Known Member

I love that she taught him to eat with his mouth closed, keep his socks on and make eye contact with adults as well as how to do gorgeous spins.

DreamSkates and LilJen like this.
  2. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

Simone411 likes this.
  3. Xela M

Xela M Well-Known Member

Being a second mom is better than being the greatest jump coach in the world?! Surely not for the coach of an elite male skater... Mishin would have a lot to say about that!

4. StitchMonkey

StitchMonkey Well-Known Member

I want to see what Mishin would say if a skater called him their second mom. . . not sure he would enjoy that.

Xela M likes this.
  5. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Eh, who cares what Mishin thinks about Kori Ade's philosophy as a coach, and about how Jason grew up to be a success on and off the ice. Mishin can keep doing his thing. Kori Ade and Jason Brown will keep doing what they do best! :cheer:

After reading the article in question, those who don't "get it," really don't have to.

6. el henry

el henry still fangirling for Toller

And if Mishin did have something negative to say about such a relationship for an "elite male:confused: skater" he would be a sexist fool.

Since this is a Jason *fan* thread, I am sure that anyone posting in this thread would agree.:D Go Jason and go Kori, you both rock!

7. misskarne

misskarne #408

I don't understand why anyone would think Mishin would disapprove. After all, the greatest male skater of the modern era calls him papa!

I don't get why people feel the need to make up negative rubbish about Mishin.

DORISPULASKI and rhapsody like this.
  8. Xela M

Xela M Well-Known Member

Huh?!? I love Mishin!!! What I meant was that Mishin is the greatest jump coach in the figure skating world and that he would disagree that it's more important to be a second parent to the skater than the greatest jump coach in the figure skating world. None of his students have problems with underrotations.

9. rhapsody

rhapsody Active Member

I don't know about that. While Mishin is such a master with jumps, he certainly seems very proud of the paternal relationships he has forged with his skaters like Plush & Tuk. But it's kind of pointless to argue about what he would prefer to be known as because we aren't him. Any other thoughts from us are just speculation.

Tavi likes this.
  10. Sylvia

Sylvia Club comp. season is here!

11. Sylvia

Last edited: May 6, 2015
    Simone411 likes this.
  12. DBZ

DBZ Well-Known Member

I really hope Rohene gives Jason more substantive music this year.

His choreography is always great, but I wasn't a big fan of Jason's music choices this past season. Neither had much depth.

Now is the time to give Jason something more weighty and meaningful. Time to (again) up the ante artistically. He needs to keep pushing that envelope, especially as he tries to get the quad.

13. StitchMonkey

Pretty sure they have said the goal is to push him each season. So I expect we will have something different next year. This season the goal was to prove he was more than Riverdance and a pony tail (note the lack of said pony in T&I) - he had to show he was more than 15 minutes of fame. He can take more risks now I think.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  14. Simone411

Simone411 Some things are meant to be like my BFF

I like what you stated, @StitchMonkey . Jason has a lot of potential in which I observed from the beginning. I believe that Rohene will be the one that can give Jason the motivation he needs. He'd be the one to give Jason that push he needs. :)

skatesindreams and StitchMonkey like this.
  15. Sylvia

Re-posting from the Programs/Choreography thread in GSD (thanks to @katmari!):
    It's about one minute of practice footage. Anyone recognize the track used?

Re-posting from Japanese TV shows fluff thread in the Trash Can:

DreamSkates and dinakt like this.
  16. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Looks wicked hard. I do not know the soundtrack well, so no help in that regard.

17. StitchMonkey

The comments said that he has some ice dance steps in there. . . got anything to say on that? since you seem to at least be able to rate the difficulty. Id be curious to know more about this possibility.

18. katmari

katmari Member

Thanks to Mrs. P's detective work at the Golden Skate forum, here's a youtube clip of the music:

Love is Blindness - The Grey Orchestra

In thinking about the music, I remembered that just over a year ago he attended a Gatsby themed prom with his friend and former housemate Karina Manta:

Jason Prom photo

(As an aside, love, love, love her dress.)

The music is a great fit for his personality and U2 is my favorite band (even if the song is an altered, cover version) so I'm happy and looking forward to seeing the completed program.

skatesindreams and Meredith like this.
  19. Sylvia

Thanks to @Mrs. P for identifying the Gatsby-themed song and to @katmari for sharing the info! :)

skatesindreams likes this.
  20. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

First jump looked like a triple salchow (I think?) - wondering if he's going for a quad sal instead of the quad toe he tried at 4Cs?

21. Sylvia

It was a double Salchow. He's entered in the Jumps competition at Broadmoor Open next month so we may get a better idea then.

clairecloutier likes this.
  22. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I like the music: It fits the party atmosphere of the 20's and I think Jason can do a lot with that.

DreamSkates likes this.
  23. wickedwitch

wickedwitch Well-Known Member

As someone who never got into Juke, I'm optimistic. The choreography seems much more natural for Jason than the choreography of Juke did. Plus, I think the music works better for skating.

24. Mrs. P

Mrs. P Active Member

My pleasure. Partial credit goes to the Shazam app for identifying the song, however. :) I just found out the details. :)

dinakt likes this.
  25. AYS

AYS Ruder than you thought

Importantly, it definitely looks like they were blocking a quad set-up there. :) Rohene's post said that was the first day of working on it. *Excited*

26. StitchMonkey

That was the first thing I noticed (and I was hoping someone who knows more than me would talk about it!) He has said the he trains the 4S daily as well as the 4T so it is possible. Maybe he feels better with it. Maybe it is close enough to the toe that they figure may as well go for the few extra bits of points. Maybe he more prone to rotating and falling the sal and under rotating the toe, who knows. It does seem he would at least want to practice the foot work going into the solo jump. Or maybe they are close enough that given the choice, may as well save wear and tear on the landing foot. The 4T does seem like it puts a lot of force on one foot in rapid succession, I wonder if the 4S seems safer to some people.

I guess it could be where he puts his 3-3 as the flip takes off on the same foot as the sal, so maybe it is close enough they just wanted to confuse us.

Also how lake the 3A is with Rohene twice yelling "wait" makes me wonder if they are trying to get the 3A in just after the halfway point. I can't help but feel if you have a jump 10 seconds before the bonus time. . . find a way to fit it in somewhere less annoying! And actually for Jason putting it in the second half might help make him look good if he can pull it off. He struggled with the 3A in the second half of the FS this season, getting it in the second half of the SP would likely be a bit of a personal victory and might help brain bleach the URs from the prior season.

If nothing else it looks like we have the combo in the second half, so that is a bit of a point boost. (unless they are messing with us and the sal is the combo - i would not put it passed team Koro to do tricky stuff like that).

sbaker-12 likes this.
  27. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Sorry, not really:)
    I would have to go and research to give a responsible answer, but cannot now, so will just be superficial: I see multidirectional, varied, high-energy movement set to a very fast beat; takes a lot of power expenditure and concentration, and that's just the first minute.
    If you have some interesting quotes, please post!

28. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Whatever the program is I'm interested: I love Jason's footwork, spins and spirals although I know the big points are in the jumps. I remember he said once that at the beginning of a program he is simply learning to master certain elements like certain steps. Rohene doesn't seem to hold back regarding difficulty and that is great for us fans.

29. katmari

katmari Member

I'm not a dance expert by any means but here's a few examples of the quickstep/Finnstep move similar to Jason's. In 1995 the Finnish dance team of Rahkamo & Kokko performed the quickstep in their original dance. Their dance is now known as the Finnstep and was the required pattern for the 2013/14 short dance. The dance move Jason does at around 1:10 is at 1:24 in the Rahkamo/Kokko video and at 3:31 in the Davis/White video.

1995 Rahkamo/Kokko Original Dance

2014 Davis & White Short Dance

I am really looking forward to seeing how Rohene incorporates more of the quickstep feel into the program.

skatesindreams and Cachoo like this.
  30. taylor1973

taylor1973 New Member

Bourne-Kraatz 2002 oly quickstep
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CjNRxfH8W3E
    0.49 - 0.53

skatesindreams likes this.