1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jason Brown Uber Thread: Someday is Today

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Mrs. P, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Skating last is really only a pressure spot if there is pressure to win. I don't think Jason had much pressure on him in that spot that he would have had in any other one.

Especially since Han Yan didn't do well in the long, so the crowd was pretty subdued.
    Skating after Javi would have been tough, because there would be such a change of energy.

2. Tavi

Tavi Well-Known Member

Hmm, not sure I fully agree. Skating last, Jason would have known that he had to finish 4th or 5th for the US to retain 3 spots next year. He was also skating long after the warm up ended, and after D10, Javi & Yuzuru had skated, so even though he wasnt in medal contention, he had to know that the judges would be evaluating him against what they had just done. As to which is more difficult - skating after someone had bombed or after a medal winning performance - I guess it depends on the person, but Jason had said that he loves skating when everyone is doing well and the energy is high. In my experience, following someone who has bombed, especially a hometown boy, can be tough because you have to bring the energy back up instead of feeding off what's there. Just my thoughts, of course.

3. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Some of you may find Tara Lipinski's comments of interest.

tutuchat likes this.
  4. Tavi

Tavi Well-Known Member

Can "wield" fantastic results?!!

It looks like she's decided that there's something to be said for choreographed artistry. ;)

skatesindreams likes this.
  5. Sylvia

Sylvia Club comp. season is here!

6. skatesindreams

7. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

I'm sure Kori trains Jason to be prepared to skate in any position and still be consistent and perform his best. Jason has shown that he has the ability to handle all kinds of pressure conditions. Unless we forget, this was Jason's Worlds debut, so how could there not be significant pressure involved? Skating last is not a slam dunk. It just depends how competitors are able to handle any conditions and skating orders. And definitely Jason's experiences on the senior GP for two seasons and especially at the Olympics last season have been invaluable for him. Plus, he was on point at Worlds with no residual emotional effects left over from the 4CC experience. In fact, as usual, 4CC results were taken in stride as a positive to learn from. Jason is an amazingly upbeat and positive person anyway, which is really cool and a great quality to have as a competitive athlete.

8. Skittl1321

My point was his position did not add any additional pressure that wasn't already there. He would have had the same amount of pressure in ANY spot.

9. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

Really looking forward to the WTT and seeing Jason in the team viewing box with his zany red, white & blue stuff. He is going to have a blast!

10. aftershocks

No problem. We are probably talking apples and oranges and looking at it slightly differently with a varying view of the semantics re "pressure." Everybody experiences pressure differently, and I was only pointing out that Jason seems to have learned a positive approach to handling pressure. It is difficult I think to measure differences in the levels of pressure an athlete may experience related to skating order and other factors. That's probably why athletes are trained to focus on themselves and what they have control over, and to be prepared to handle any outward conditions and situations (all easier said than done).

So, I don't think we really know whether Jason would have felt the same amount of pressure skating in ANY spot. One point to consider is that skating last, he did know exactly where he stood regarding how his competitors had performed. Still, that can also be distracting if the focus is not kept on what you came prepared to do regardless of skating order. As Sylvia said, it may have been a bonus that Jason had found himself in a similar position at the Olympics, and thus already knew what it felt like and therefore he was able to apply the lessons learned from having struggled to handle the pressures of that previous big moment.

In any case, surely there was pressure involved at Worlds regardless, and Jason was very prepared to handle anything. With Kori's guidance, Jason's experiences on the GP, at Nationals, at the Olympics, and at the recent 4CC event had prepared him to deal with the pressures of that moment of skating last in his Worlds debut with his reputation and the 3 U.S. spots on the line. I'm sure he didn't go out there with those exact thoughts in his head though. He had already been through the process of preparation, of learning and absorbing past experiences, putting everything into perspective and training hard. Plus, while at Worlds he wrote an upbeat blog about the U.S. team's Worlds experience, and he was his usual positive, enthusiastic self: friendly, smiling, sharing laughs and high-fives with his teammates and with competitors from other countries -- all of whom he has grown up with in this sport. I think Jason and his coach, Kori, understand the power and the value of being fully open to the present moment and of learning from and sharing the journey.

Beyond the realities of pressure, there will always be ups and downs, highs and lows involved in athletic pursuit, so maintaining a positive perspective is key. Sometimes as fans we (at least I know that I) don't always have the capacity to remain positive. So Jason and his coach, Kori, are wonderful role models in this respect.

Although the acrobatic rotation-based, elusive, complicated, and ultimately simple split-second extra revolution quad is required for the points-centric judging system that governs this sport, I think we lose (have lost) perspective if we believe the notion that men's figure skating is and should only be all about the quad. It is not, and should not be! I see the quad as a kind of tempting, seductive shadow demon seemingly mastered by and currently rewarding a few, at the same time that it mesmerizes and blinds many to what the sport is actually about and the foundations upon which the sport has evolved.

There are certain skaters we can watch, sans quad who to me fully express the ideal of what figure skating is about on an inspirational, aesthetic, all-around complete skater level: Jason Brown is the embodiment of that ideal. The extra quad revolution is a challenge for Jason to confront and to embrace, but it is not something he should allow himself to either fear, covet, rush to master, over-emphasize, or try to conquer by lowering his unique standards of striving for excellence.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  11. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Is it a given that Jason will be able to do a clean quad? I love him without it: I just want to know if it is a sure thing.

12. wickedwitch

wickedwitch Well-Known Member

Getting a quad isn't a given for anyone who doesn't already have it. I believe he will get it, but it's a really difficult element.

13. Skittl1321

Nothing is ever a sure thing.

14. aftershocks

Keep following Jason during the off-season and tune-in for summer comps leading into the GP this fall. :p Keep fingers crossed! :cheer: :rockstar: Remember to take some time to breathe, smell the roses, and share in and enjoy Jason's journey. The destination is never really the point of the journey anyways, no matter how much we have been ingrained to believe it is.

And of course the extra quad revolution is never a sure thing, not even for those who have mastered it with a high consistency rate, eh! Why don't let's ask the athletes. There was an article on IN awhile back where the U.S. men talked about training the quad, the difficulties, the conundrums, etc.

Maybe Jason should practice on a trampoline (if that can help achieve more spring and thus more height). Still, he would also have to maintain control and technical precision. What about the U.S. fed getting advice from gymnastics coaches to assist our guys? The quad is about acrobatics after all, not really about the foundational essentials of figure skating.

15. misskarne

misskarne #408

Sylvia just posted it in the US men's thread. Max's line about respecting the quad, and also his quote about the body alignment, is something I think a lot of fans should bear in mind.

I disagree. Without foundations in figure skating, the quad can't happen for a skater. If Max had, say, sloppy turns, he could not ever do a quad Salchow, because he would not have the control over the turn. Watch him jump - it's got a rhythm. One, two, three, four, into the air. Without a solid foundation in edges and turns you can't jump.

16. aftershocks

^^ Right, a skater has to have solid foundations and mastery in figure skating edges and blade control. That's extremely important, and in the recent Worlds men's recap on TSL (with Scott Davis), J&D I think were fairly on the mark in their assessment that Jason does need to improve his edge quality and power as a skater. With improved edge quality and more power, he could increase his speed which would help perhaps in gaining more height on his jumps.

In the absence of practicing figures, what do skaters do these days to help improve edges and blade control, I wonder?

In any case, I still think trampoline practice and some training in gymnastics skills could help fine-tune the rotational quickness which is also an important asset. Yes, gaining the height is important (which could be helped by proper figure skating technique on take-off, as well as speed going into the jump that is gained by improving blade control and the deepness of edges).

Seriously, do people in figure skating understand all this? I don't think we really all do as fans. There is a lot of complexities involved. But when it's broken down, what's needed to improve seems so simple. I guess it's all easier said than done.

17. StitchMonkey

StitchMonkey Well-Known Member

18. aftershocks

^^ Thanks. I have seen Jason being shown working out backstage at competitions, jumping and turning in the air, but I didn't know he was doing specific training in gymnastics. Probably trampoline work is a good way to improve quickness of rotations but it must take a lot of time to achieve goals. Improvements are probably incremental. I'd like to see photos of Jason practicing figures. :)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  19. aftershocks

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
    tlk likes this.
  20. misskarne

misskarne #408

I like this interview. And you know, Jason came up with the solution all by himself - "it'll just take time, to keep getting stronger..." Shame that this was only the start of the triple Axel bugging which would eventually lead to the quad bugging.

But my gosh, I'd forgotten how skinny and tiny he was then :lol:

skatesindreams and StitchMonkey like this.
  21. Sylvia

kwanette likes this.
  22. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

My favorite male skaters are the late John Curry and Kurt Browning. I think Jason will be added to that list. I don't care if he ever gets a quad though I want him to be happy. I just love to watch the attention to detail when he skates. I hope that never changes.

23. aftershocks

skatesindreams likes this.
  24. Sylvia

Jason finally got around to finishing his blog for Worlds :): http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2015/03/24/114639882

ETA: When I saw he had drawn last for his FS, I immediately recalled how he had skated not his best to close the Olympic men's FS. I am not at all surprised that he connected both experiences in his blog - it's very Jason. :)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
    clairecloutier, Jun Y and feraina like this.
  25. skatesindreams

Jason writes well, gives a sense of what his experience was really like; and is analytical. when appropriate.
    Thanks for sharing, Jason.

DORISPULASKI likes this.
  26. feraina

feraina Well-Known Member

I absolutely love Jason's positive and humble attitude. No self congratulations, no feelings of vindication for either himself or his coach -- when they have gotten so much flack this year for the quad, the costumes, the programs... And yet a strong sense of confidence that he can learn lessons and take away something positive from every situation, and only get better!

I want to know how his parents/Kori raised such a great person. I'd be absolutely thrilled to raise a child like him (as I'm expecting my first child in a few weeks).

snoopy, Latte, DORISPULASKI and 5 others like this.
  27. ilovepaydays

ilovepaydays Well-Known Member

I would love to hear about this as well. I'm no expert on raising children, but I bet the Browns would say that raising positive/empathetic/humble children doesn't happen overnight. It would be great to hear some practical tips from them on how they taught this on a day-by-day basis.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  28. Tavi

Tavi Well-Known Member

29. aftershocks

^^ Wow, this article brought tears to my eyes. So much wisdom and inspiration to reflect upon, and so many quotable passages...

Clearly, by maintaining a proper perspective about what matters, Kori Ade and Jason's wonderful parents (Marla and Steven) helped guide Jason to becoming the motivated, talented, positive, caring and remarkable human being/ champion that he is!

Tavi likes this.
  30. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2015...le-jason-in-big-china-brown-blogs-from-worlds

Jason put up his last blog for Ice Network. It was really interesting to read his thoughts on his draw for Worlds FS being the same as Sochi; about how his Olympic free skate had been a big regret for him and how he felt like he could finally put those regrets behind him in China. Such a mature young man who takes every disappointment and regret and turns it into a growing experience so he can improve and learn...I think his performances in China showed that he really has grown as a competitor this year!

aftershocks and Tavi like this.