Jason Brown Uber Thread: Someday is Today

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Mrs. P, Jan 22, 2014.

1. el henry

el henry still fangirling for Toller

I'm glad that Jason was happy for Jackie Robinson West, but as a native Philadelphian, I was not happy that they beat my girl Mo'ne Davis and the Taney Dragons. Oh well, we can't agree with our favorite skaters on *everything*:biggrinbo

2. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

I really like the new programs, going to take some work but I think by the end of the year he's going to stand out with the best work again. There's a lot of range in both of them.

I love the way he moves, hoping he really makes a big push this year internationally.

clairecloutier and DORISPULASKI like this.
  3. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Excerpt from the IN's Nebelhorn Trophy preview article:
    ETA:

Jason is blogging from Obertsdorf this week for Icenetwork: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2014/09/23/96026790

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  4. missing

missing Well-Known Member

5. RobAlly

RobAlly Member

Fun blog entry from Jason. But seriously, why they didn't bother checking in online BEFORE is kind of baffling. I mean, they all have so much travel experience, AND it seems, late-travel mishaps.

6. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

They had to check luggage, so I can see why they would not bother checking in online. I mean, you've got to wait in a line to check baggage anyway; why not let them check you in? I don't think checking in online would have fixed this particular problem; it sounded like the lady at the counter wasn't going to let them check their baggage in order to make that flight.

7. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Active Member

From the USA Today article:

Another gem of wisdom from the U.S. federation.

lauren329 and skatesindreams like this.
  8. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I hope we see less Oh golly i'm just happy to be here from Jason this year since he knows now he's one of the best in the world and has proven it.

9. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Better honest emotion, than phoniness.
    Why are so many of your comments like a "wet blanket", Jammers?

10. Spareoom

So, what did everyone think of Jason's SP? I liked it a lot better than before; definitely don't love it but it's getting there. I'm really happy that Jason and his team chose to do something really different from his usual style in order to expand his repertoire and help him learn to express himself in different ways. I doubt this program will ever become a "classic", but if there ever was a time to try out new styles and grow as an artist, the year after the Olympics would be the time to do it.

11. scarletbloom

scarletbloom Member

The program is starting to grow on me...but there are two things in it that may never work for me. It's the suspender work, and the move where he does the double-shoulder shrug with his arms straight down, and his hands out. I think they're both a little too young for him but fortunately there is less of each throughout the program. I was completely afraid to see what it would look like once the actual suspenders were in place.

The only thing that really matters however, is that it looks like he's enjoying himself which should translate into superior performances down the road.

12. Spareoom

Just wanted to say, congrats Jason on your first senior international title! The first of many to come, I'm sure. :)

13. lefeury1

lefeury1 New Member

I think the Tristan and Isolde was beautiful. The music grew and grew in intensity and he went right with it. I just love watching him skate, his lines and flexibility, the consistency just make it a pleasure.

CassAgain likes this.
  14. jlai

jlai Title-less

That wasn't a great prediction, but mainly because there were only 10 men in the gps at each event, so 3rd was always an attainable goal when skaters made mistakes. Now medalling at worlds...

15. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

I love Jason's Tristan and Isolde, just beautiful. Looking forward to watching it develop over the season.

CassAgain likes this.
  16. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Tristan and Iseult is already a masterpiece. I love it so much! Can't wait to see what it looks like by Nationals!

(Side note: those boots. :yikes: )

17. CassAgain

CassAgain Active Member

I have to say, I liked everything about it, including the costume. I saw a picture of him before I saw the video, and I was questioning his taste level, a la Nina Garcia, but I thought it looked much better in motion and was totally appropriate for the program. LOVED the half-pony, too. I can't wait to see him improve the TES throughout the season. I just seems like a winner.

18. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

I think it's unevenness of the boots' height that drives me a bit bonkers.

I think the top part especially makes him look older, especially with his hair in that gorgeous half-back-half-down style. That's exactly what I've been hoping for from him for years. (I was also hoping for LOTR program for the same result, but this'll do to start!). It looks so romantic and regal. :swoon:

19. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

He really is the most talented Prince on a muffin out there. I love his programs and the boots are cool too.

First triple axel was beautiful. Program is well balanced and constructed. Every move is not rushed and finishes every edge. His triple tano lutz is now in combination with a triple salchow. His ponytail can fall out and you don't even notice until the last footwork sequence.

20. Spareoom

I think my main problem with the costume was that it looked costume-shop-y. Maybe it was the giant pleather belt and the tan pants that looked like they were made out knit material. I think if you lost the belt, upgraded the materials a bit and made it all a bit more tidy, it would look great. I'd honestly be fine with him losing the "tunic" part of the shirt and just wearing a blousy off-white shirt...I haven't seen him wear anything like that while skating in a long time and I think it would look good.

You can tell he is still figuring out what to do with his hair outside of a ponytail; I'd like to sit him down and give him some tips on how to make his pulled-back look sleek and unfrizzy but also not stiff. ;)

Anyway, you know there's not much negative to say about his skating when all you can nitpick is the costumes. ;) His tech was not that great, even for him, but I could tell that his endurance with the program was not quite there so that was probably why he was UR'ing jumps. It doesn't seem to be a chronic problem for him; normally all of his jumps outside the 3A are technically sound and don't give cause to worry.

Can't wait to see how his hometown reacts to these new programs in a month. :)

ETA: Jason is SUCH a humble bug...he blogged after the LP giving a recap of the whole competition thus far and COMPLETELY glossed over the fact that he, you know, WON. Just said that he was "proud to add another medal to the USA haul"! lol!

Amantide and clairecloutier like this.
  21. Tavi

Tavi New Member

I bet his hair was stiff from all the product he used in the short program.

22. Spareoom

^^ Ever heard of washing your hair? ;)

23. Amantide

Amantide Active Member

I agree with you about the costume.
    I loved his interpretation and body movements a lot though. Very good indeed.

24. Tavi

Tavi New Member

I have but I'm not sure he did (wash it, I mean)! ETA, either that, or his hair is just so used to being in a pony tail that it hangs funny...

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014 at 3:55 PM
  25. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

I love Jason, but I do feel his costumes need some tweaking. The sp is fun and cute, but at this stage with full costume, the program does seem to give off a younger vibe than I think Jason and his team would like to be projecting at this point. The sp, including costume remind me of one of Jason's junior programs from circa 2010.

I recall that Jason's Prince costume went through changes and by the Olympics in his second season with that program, everything was fab, seamless and right-on. I don't think Juke is the same kind of keeper though.

I love Jason's fp music and choreo. The program has the potential to build over the course of the season to become another show-stopper. However, once again, the costume really needs revamping altogether. I hope they can come up with something sleeker that might project more strength and maturity. Right now, it does nothing to enhance the drama of the music and choreography.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014 at 2:56 PM
  26. Tavi

Tavi New Member

Last night I watched both Prince & Juke without the music. The biggest thing I noticed is that in Prince he is really dancing & is totally committed to performing each movement to its fullest, whereas in Juke he still seems to be feeling his way - he rushes some movements, is a tad off the beat with others, doesn't get into his knees as much, etc. I think that's the difference in a program he's had for 2 years & one he started working on a few months ago, and I think it will get better. However, the Prince choreography also seems more interesting to me because of the contrasting height levels of the movements, & the many little ways the music is acknowledged. Also, for me there are no ugly or awkward movements in Prince, but I feel like there are a few in Juke (JMHO but I hope those will be tweaked). Anyway I am looking forward to seeing the program's evolution at Skate America.