Japanese skater/skating news & updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shine

shine Well-Known Member

I was super impressed with Miyahara's SP. And ITA with ferania about the amount of transitions in her programs. She has great skating skills and is one of those few skaters that can handle non-stop changes of edges in the step sequences with ease. I also think she moves really well to the music for her age and has a spark depite being rough around the edges. I really like her relaxed shoulders and the ease she skates with. She seems to be using the entire body during her steps without over doing it and has a wide range movement compared to others. I see that as great potential to handle very interesting and dynamic choreography in the future. I think a lot of people are being overly critical of her "junvenile" presentation just because she looks about 8. But that doesn't mean she skates like she's 8.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  2. ponta1

ponta1 Active Member

I agree with everything you said. I really don't understand all this criticism of Miyahara--I think she's a really lovely skater!

3. miki88

miki88 New Member

Although I agree Miyahara has a lot of spark, I am not overly impressed with her. She doesn't have the elegance I see from Risa Shoji or Lipnitskaya. However, I also think she has potential, but for now, she seems pretty average to me.

4. sleepypanda

sleepypanda Member

Short clip of Mao practicing her short program on her blog. There's a link to a Quicktime vid at the end of the entry.

Blog: http://maimao-asada.com/mao/news/2011/09/23/150/

- - -

Short Program "Scherherazade" desu.

Short program "Scherherazade" desu.

Since some years ago, whenever I went to Tatiana-sensei, (this piece) was on her list of music. I thought it was a kawaii* Scherherazade.

The music has a variety of tones so I want to show a variety of expressions that fits throughout this program.

*kawaii is the Japanese word for cute, but it also has other meanings too... lovely, charming, pretty... don't get too caught up in what the word "cute" implies in English.

5. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

thanks but this one does not work either. :(
    It is the music that is blocked in Germany via youtube.

If someone is able to upload it to another server and give me the link I would be forever grateful. :shuffle:

6. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

How about this one? :D

Hedwig and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Hedwig

You have no my undying love.
    :cheer2:
    Forever!!
    Amen!!!

Wheee

8. Hedwig

whee, and now I can join the love!!

She is really expressive and musical for a 13-year-old! Cannot wait to see what will become of her in a couple of years! :inavoid:

And she had already more transitions in this one program than Ksenia Makarova had in all her programs put together. :shuffle:

9. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I agree she's talented but I still prefer Risa personally. She has the technical goods, but there's also a lot more than that to her skating. I actually prefer Risa to Kanako too, but Kanako does seem to have come into her own this summer based on videos I've seen, so that opinion may change based on how she's skating this season and if she's finally dumped cutesy or not. Miyahara seems solely focused on jumps at this point.

10. Hedwig

11. Amy03

Amy03 Member

WOOW never would have guessed that Mao would chose this music, can't wait to see the new short program as well as her free again.. :swoon:thaanks for posting the link..

12. wnstnluv

wnstnluv New Member

Thanks sleepypanda! I like it. :)

Happy 21st Birthday, Mao! May you have a wonderful season ahead! :cheer2:

13. artsciboy

artsciboy New Member

Any updates on Suguri? No GP this season - so any word on local comps?

14. icellist

icellist Member

15. Amy03

Amy03 Member

happy birthday Mao i hope you will have a wonderful season:40beers::encore:

16. nort345

nort345 New Member

any news of Haruka Imai? Is still injuried?

17. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

I don't believe she is injured anymore, here is her SP for the new season in the "Fantasy on Ice" show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfEPUq37Ces

18. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

Hmmm. No GP though. Her career is winding down. I wonder if she is now skating just for the joy of skating? May be she could get on a pro circuit in Japan?

19. bartek

bartek New Member

She has no intention of retireing. She just wants to compete as long as her body lets her. She's said so many times in plenty of interview. She made a big mistake when she left Morozov...

20. FrouFrou

FrouFrou New Member

I know the decision to retire is entirely up to the skater and none of my business, but Suguri would of had way more opportunities in ice shows had she retired after her silver at the '06 worlds and ended her career on a high note.

21. bartek

bartek New Member

Or at least after 2008-2009 season with second place finish at Japan Nats and top ten at Worlds.

22. Hedwig

Maybe this is not what she wants.
    I think it is great that she likes skating and competitions this much. If she has the means to do it - why not?
    Midori Ito just came back to competitions for the same reasons - just because she likes it. I think it is great and might help to establish skating as a "normal" sport for adults as well. :)

23. midori

midori Well-Known Member

Which show? Please name one, or two, of the shows which she could not have got just because she did not retire back then.

24. FrouFrou

FrouFrou New Member

Right, at the very least when she was in the top ten. I feel like the big elephant in the room keeps rearing it's huge ass whenever she skates because I doubt she'll ever make the world team again with Japan so deep in figure skaters.

I also think it's a good thing for women's figure skating to have a wide age range competing to show that skating isn't all about jumping teenie boppers and their are artistic merits that are achieved through experienced skaters. However, Midori returned to adult competitions. With Suguri, I think she's still trying to keep up with the up and coming generation to which I think she's way in over her head about. If she had raw talent like Arakawa, I might have thought differently, but imo she is only a fairly good skater who worked her ass off to even get the 2 bronzes and silver at worlds. If she does have the means & sponsors to continue skating, then good for her. Just writing what's on my mind.

:mad: :yikes: Relax. No need to get your panties in a bunch. :D Let me put it to you this way, I'm from the midwest and watched Suguri as a kid- twice at JLA on the Champions on Ice tour after the Salt Lake Games/'02 worlds and I think after her grand prix win in '04 or '05. All of which she either won, medaled or placed in the top five. I don't know which shows she may or may not be invited to because I don't do casting (if your really want to get technical :rolleyes:). But I do know that major shows will pay for travel, dining, and accomodation expenses and skaters can negotiate their contract :bribe: depending on how well they did that season because of hello, what else- "branding".

Now, skaters can do little shows in Eastern part of Europe and family ice shows in Michigan, but a lot of times those shows will not cover your airfare, hotel and dining expenses. So when was the last major tour Suguri was invited to that wasn't a Japanese ice show? I don't even think I saw YouTube clips of her at the Japanese charity show that Miki, Mao, and Taka were in. I recently watched Arakawa at a Chinese show and she's been part of Stars on Ice before. Why do you think a lot of Olympics champs skip out on the world championships right after the OG and turn pro??

25. Roxanne

Roxanne New Member

26. Vash01

Not as strong as the exhibition I had seen earlier on YT but obviously it was enough to win. I like the way he continues to skate with the same intensity after he makes a mistake.

27. midori

midori Well-Known Member

You have just proved my point. She used to do COI tour without retiring, and now she does not as many while other eligible skaters do a lot. What would have been better for her if she had turned pro?

And why do you think recent Olympics champs tend not to turn pro after OG? ;)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  28. krenseby

krenseby New Member

Vash01, the thing is that even for the pro circuit you need to achieve a certain level of skating in order to stand out among other skaters.

The state of Fumie' s skating, judging by her performances last year, has not reached the standards expected of pro skaters. Jumps are not the only issue. The basics of her skating don' t seem to be on a good level. Not only do I not see a decent level of flexibility in her spins, I also detect a lack of grace, musicality, good edging, and stroking. The choreography in her LP was nothing to write home about.

I think there' s a very disturbing trend among skating fans to automatically assume that the best place for a struggling amateur skater is in the pro ranks. But pro skating is not a place of exile that bad skaters are banned to. No, in fact, pro skating has a lot of quality in it. Shizuka, Sasha, St├ęphane, and perhaps even Joannie, if she decides not to compete again, are all superb skaters. They may not be ready to execute as many jumps as some of the top amateurs, but in all other respects they are amazing skaters. For Fumie to join their ranks, she'd have to demonstrate a much, much higher level of skating than she recently has.

29. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Erm, not sure which Fumie Suguri you've been watching, but the one I saw at 2010 Skate Canada had excellent edges and stroking. She did lose some of the speed she had when she was younger, but she still has very good basics. I do agree her recent programs didn't do much for her, but that's not really a 'basic skating' issue.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  30. Vash01

Did you watch Fumie at all over the years? She won the world silver in 2006, and a few world bronzes, I think. She had won the Japanese nationals, which is extremely competitive. I have watched Fumie live in practice and she has very good basic skating skills. They are better than Sasha's although she does not have Sasha's firey personality on the ice. Fumie was standing higher than Shizuka prior to Shizuka's 2004 world title. Her skating is not that good anymore, but she has been on the world podium, and that should be good enough for any eligible skater to have a pro career.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.