Japanese skater/skating news & updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrouFrou

FrouFrou New Member

No dear, Suguri was invited to COI twice because of how well she placed before that season. ;) She hasn't been invited to a major ice tour since because her results have gotten worse and she lacks major appeal as a skater because she doesn't have the jumps nor the flexibility of a skater to the likes of a Cohen or Arakawa. Had she retired when she was still at the latter end of her prime when she got 4th at Torino and 2nd at worlds, she could of atleast branded herself much better iwith the world medals she's won and been invited to major shows.

Now, I could understand if Suguri were from a country like Hungary without the depth of skaters like Japan has and continue to skate like Julia Sebestyen did even after she won the European Championships in '04. But do you think, honestly, that Suguri can come back as a relevant skater when you have a Murakami, Suzuki, Asada and possibly Ando and other junior Japanese skaters coming up. It's an uphill battle for her to even make the world team.

You ask about recent Olympic Champs not retiring- let's look at them besides Shen & Zhao who have retired & in their mid 30s: how old were most of them when they won- Tessa & Virtue, Kim, Lysacek? All of them were under 25. and all of them actually have a chance of finishing on the podium consistently even now (sans Lysacek; we'll have to see how he does, but there's still a good chance for him if he's serious about his training). I don't see Kim going for Sochi, but there still a good chance for her to compete longer because really what other prominent Korean skaters are there to secure spots at worlds? And an uninjured Tessa & Virtue are still capable of becoming world champions.

Suguri is a hard-working, grit type of skater. She isn't a naturally talented jumper like Ando and she doesn't have the charm or spins of a Nagasu, the beauty of an Asada or the energy of the Russian babies. She could continue skating all she wants as long as she's determined and has the funds, but she will not be seen as a skater that ended on a high note. Instead, she'll be seen as a skater who declined and that definitely affects how you can market yourself on the pro circuit or even a coach, etc. Why do you think Hughes retired after only doing one world championships after her Olympic win and a world championships that wasn't right after her Olympic win? College is not the only reason. She never won a U.S. Champion on the senior level and never became World Champion. It's all about branding.
  2. krenseby

krenseby New Member

I am talking about her current skating only and not what it used to be like.

Like you say, her skating isn't that good anymore and to have a pro career, you have to skate well. That's why I don't think she would get invited to many pro events based on her skating as it is now.
  3. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

4. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Akiko :cheer2: She's so light on her feet -love the new SP step sequence!
  5. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

And Strauss for the FS! So glad she hasn't retired...I hope she can regain her consistency this season.
  6. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. galaxy

galaxy Active Member

Yes. Her presence on the ice is amazing. Her Black Swan is a real must to see.
    Every year, and every time I see her, she is getting more and more expressive. She has grown up into one of those skaters whose performance audience can enjoy even if there are no jumps in the program.
  8. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

WOOWWW, that was so intense! I love it! Much better than these other "Black Swan" programs we've been seeing that are basically just generic Swan Lake programs. Awesome, Miki plays the dark, mysterious role well.
  9. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Alright, you convinced me to watch it. I have to admit, didn't watch it the second I saw her lying on the ice with her boots crossed ala Volosozhar. I know she wasn't wearing a white tutu but it looked to close for my taste but I'll give it another look. I really love Miki!
  10. galaxy

galaxy Active Member

You described it so well. "Intense" is the right word. Intense, but delicate. There is dignity and a touch of sorrow. Mysterious and fascinating, attractive.
  11. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

She has developed so much artistically! She seems to feel every note of the music in this performance. I wonder if she is planning to make it into a competition LP? of course she will need a lot of jumps if she does, and that could lose some of the artistic impact, but still a great exhibition program!
  12. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Yes exactly, but that is Miki, she's intense and powerful, but at the same time, very vulnerable. A very unique mix of traits that can produce a wonderful result if packaged correctly. I also love the costume, it really flatters her figure and strong facial features. I wish Miki was this artistic in her regular programs. Actually, it's funny because Mao is the same way, both have brilliant exhibitions but all too often their competitive programs are a bit flat or ill-fitting. I wonder..
  13. reut

reut Active Member

14. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Takahashi + Schoenfelder + Zazoui = :inavoid:
  15. artsciboy

artsciboy New Member

Why did Suguri drop out of her lone international event (Finlandia)? Any indications from her twitter?
  16. icellist

icellist Member

I also worried about her withdrawal. Apparently, from what I can understand from Google translate. Fumie received medical attention for joint sprains. She also had boot troubles.

if anybody who knows japanese could care to translate please.
    http://sugurifumie.jp/
  17. midori

midori Well-Known Member

I do not know about the boot troubles, but about the joins sprains you got it right. Only information to add is it's a joing of her right leg or ankle.
  18. midori

midori Well-Known Member

19. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Wheeee! Thank you so much, midori! I just pre-ordered it.
  20. DELTA

DELTA Member

21. icellist

icellist Member

thanks DELTA!

It seems like Kanako has been working on adding transitions. They look very nicely done. Her loop bothers me though because the first looked underrotated and she popped the second. Her 3-3 in the SP looked wonderful and effortless. I still don't like her picking leg in her lutz and flip, but it may just be me. Also, the spins need some work such as the bielmann (isn't up to my tastes) and the tuck of her foot in the flying sit spin, but I may just be nit-picky in those elements. i really think we need a list of banned music and add Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto...

Overall I think Kanako looks in good form. Her step sequences looked quite good except for the misplaced spiral in her FS. She looks a bit taller and skinnier which may just be puberty and a good diet, but it may be worrisome.
  22. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

I agree about her mule kick...it's unattractive. She looks good, but I think she should consider reverting to the 3t/3t (lp only) instead of repeating the loop, which, as you noted, is likely to be downgraded as it's not her best jump. Re:Mendelssohn, at least she used some cuts from the 2nd and 3rd movements that we don't hear too often.
  23. bartek

bartek New Member

I think she is going to be in troubles in a few seasons because of her awful techninque on lutz and flip just like Asada has been. Bad technique will always cause some troubles, sooner or later. Mao did all those wild jumps when she was young and then we know what happened. Kanako's leg position in her lutz and flip is the most unattractive I've ever seen. And the flutz is very severe. I wonder if she works on it. In case of two loops in her program I think it might be a challenge for her and a way to improve her consistency on it. Of course it can cost her some points in a few competitions but in the end she might get it consistent.
  24. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

Someone posted on GoldenSkate saying there was a rumor that Haruka Imai has left Hiroshi Nagakubo and has gone to "Yuka team", can anyone confirm this rumor that she's now at the Detroit Skating Club?
  25. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

you don´t have to wait long, to see, if this rumour is true. haruka is scheduled to skate at skate america, so wait 5 days and you will see, who´s with her in kiss and cry.
    i would like to see her with yuka and jason. haruka has great lines and good stuff to work with, but it will be really tough for her to exist (internationally) while mao, miki, akiko and kanako are all around; it´s not about fighting against one for the 3rd sport, she has to be better than 2 others (which could be worth a worlds top 10 finisher)
  26. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

27. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

28. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

lol at how the commentator lady said "That was a HHHUGE flutz!" after looking at slowmo of the attempted lutz.
  29. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

The commentator was Machiko Yamada, her coach! :lol:
  30. DELTA

DELTA Member

She really said flutz? Does that mean that she's aware of the problem and may want to fix is in the future?
  31. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

I had no idea it was her own coach. :lol: Talk about confronting the reality.
  32. DELTA

DELTA Member

She really said flutz? Does that mean that she's aware of the problem and may want to fix is in the future?
  33. ChibiChibi

ChibiChibi Active Member

I thought very much all her students have flutz (i.e., Mao, Kanako, Shoma), so maybe that's how she teaches lutz and it's ok with her?? :lol:
  34. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

I'm not sure if she said "flutz", but she said "inside edge".
  35. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

36. sleepypanda

sleepypanda Member

37. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Thank you so much!
  38. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Cross-posting this Japan Times article link here because it also contains news about Miki Ando (besides the Mao Asada editorializing): http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/sp20111109it.html
    Two excerpts:
  39. sandra_persch

sandra_persch Well-Known Member

I hope this is the right place to ask this question.

At the Open Berlin Championships help in Berlin, Germany last weekend a new girl skated and won the Junior Ladies Category

1 Minami HANASHIRO BSV92 BER 118.50 2 1

http://www.eissport-berlin.de/file/Protokoll_2012_OBM/CAT004RS.HTM

Has anyone heard of her before. I am wondering if she is the skater that was brought to Berlin to live and train after the earthquake & tsunami in Japan.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  40. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.