Japanese skater/skating news & updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

I love the Yukari side discussion. :) Other than the leg wrap I thought she was the best skater, I loved her expression and way of selling a program. She had sparkle. And she also went ahead with her bad self and got into production and film, what a lady. :swoon:
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  2. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

it's great to see that yukina otha is still invited to skate in shows as she didn't has had great success in seniors.
    but still a joy to watch
  3. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Yukari and Yukina are two of my favorite Japanese ladies that had limited success. Yukina had problems with her jumps so she didn't even make the world team. Yukari was lovely, and her other qualities made me forget the leg wrap. I was very disappointed when she retired without a world medal.
  4. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

Sorry to be slightly Off-topic.
    One of the most controversial skate, IMHO, was Yukina's not winning the senior Nationals in Dec. 2002. This Nationals was competed with the highest technically difficulty ever. Jumps being attempted by the competitors included one 4Sal, six 3Ax (three by Yukari alone), one 3flip/3tlp/3lp 3jump combination and about dozen various triple/triple combinations.
    Yukina skated simply unforgettable senior version "Turandot". Yukina skated as the last skater in Kyoto, her hometown, and pulled off a mini-Rudy Galindo.
    However, only one judge put her 1st. Majority put her fourth, deciding to send apparently "over-the-hill" skater as the third JPN Ladies skater to 03 Washington Worlds.
    This "washed up" skater had a "Titanic" program, and subsequently won both Worlds and Olympics, her name was Shizuka Arakawa.

It is intriguing to think what would have happened if Arakawa was not sent to 03 Worlds, and Yukina went instead.
  5. midori

midori Well-Known Member

6. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

Shin Amano was the pairs skater in Nagano. Kihara has trained much shorter than Amano but he's already much better.:D
  7. midori

midori Well-Known Member

Did Mr. Amano kill your puppy or something?
  8. rosewood

Luckily I don't have a puppy to be killed by him. ;)
  9. NMURA

NMURA Member

Spring International Assignments

Challenge Cup
    Takahito Mura
    Haruka Imai
    Kento Nakamura
    Sei Kawahara
    Wakaba Higuchi
    Mai Mihara
    Kaori Sakamoto
    Kauzuki Tomono

Junior Worlds
    Sumire Suto/Konstantin Chizhikov were added

Coupe du Printemps
    Ryuju Hino
    Yura Matsuda
    Daisuke Murakami
    Taichi Honda
    Sota Yamamoto
    Marin Honda
    Mariko Kihara
    Yuna Aoki

Gardena Spring Trophy
    Satoko Miyahara
    Shoma Uno
    Miyabi Oba
    Yoji Tsuboi
    Koshiro Shimada
    Sena Miyake

Triglav Trophy
    Keiji Tanaka
    Ryuju Hino
    Rika Hongo
    Riona Kato
  10. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Watching Shin Amano do pairs in Nagano really brought it home how difficult pairs actually is.
  11. TheresMaude

TheresMaude New Member

Has anyone seen any reports as to Daisuke Takahashi's health?
  12. rosewood

According to an interview done on January the 8th Daisuke said he recovered "80%" from the injury.
    http://www.unn-news.com/ku-times/article/201401255038

I found an article about Daisuke's physical trainer. It seems Daisuke is fully supported by the trainer. It's good for him.
    http://sankei.jp.msn.com/sports/news/140125/oth14012512010006-n1.htm

This is not about his injury but I found an article that says Lori visited Japan to polish his long program earlier this month(around January the 20th).
    http://www.daily.co.jp/general/2014/01/21/0006651407.shtml
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  13. bek

bek Guest

I truly feel pairs is likely the hardest discipline in the sport. For me its also the most spectacular; however it is also the easiest to look terrible at the same time.
  14. TheresMaude

TheresMaude New Member

Thank you, rosewood, for the detective work!
    Could you explain this a bit more? In what sense is Daisuke "supported" by his trainer?

Thanks again!
  15. rosewood

(rough summary of the article)
    Fumio Watanabe has worked as Daisuke's exclusive trainer since 2006. So, when Daisuke injured before Vancouver Oly, he was working with Daisuke too. After Daisuke injured in Novenber last year, Watanabe provided him a special training menu.to strengthen his trunk muscle. Daisuke did a very hard training based on the menu. Watanabe encouraged him a lot by talking optimistically. He said "Don't worry. You have enough time!" After the Nationals Daisuke keeps training to strengthen his trunk and also his lower body based on the menu Watanabe provided considering the schedule till Sochi Olympics.

Hope it helps you to imagine Daisuke's condition. I'm sure a flood of articles/vdeo clips are coming soon since Japanese media are going to report about the star athletes before the Olympics.
  16. TheresMaude

TheresMaude New Member

Thanks again for the further translation, rosewood. We Dai fans are so lucky to have someone here who will provide us with this valuable info.
  17. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Any idea on who are the next Japanese ladies to watch after Asada, Suzuki and Murakami retire?

Nice to see Miyahara and Imai getting spring assignments. I guess it's going to be the two of them plus the up and coming Hongo. I believe it will take a season or two before Japanese ladies return to world podium contending stage. Maybe just in time for 2018. That's a long time for Miyahara to get bigger jumps, for Imai to get more difficult jumps (lutz!) and for Hongo to develop some finesse and artistry.
  18. rosewood

19. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Active Member

Has Akiko stated that she will retire after this season? I'm hoping to see Akiko on both the Olympic and World podiums!
  20. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Akiko is definitely retiring after this season.
  21. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Is Murakami really retiring after this season? :(
  22. ostile17

ostile17 Active Member

He talks about it a little bit here (Jan 8)

P&G Send-off party
  23. DELTA

DELTA Member

She's plans to retire.
  24. Karpenko

I just really don't realistically see that happening. Losing Asada, Suzuki, and Murakami all in one year? I just don't see it, the JSF will pressure her too much and she might find more endorsement opportunities open up for her as the Japanese skating queen next year. She's just now, as of Japanese Nationals and 4CC this year finally grown into the senior ladies skater she's capable of being IMO. I say 100% we see her at least one more season unless she is injured. Why quit before you reap the rewards? She's recently established herself as one of the leading ladies looking past this season IMO.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  25. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Perhaps she wants to start college full time?

I think "pressure" is the wrong word. "$$$" is more like it. Without her, Japanese ladies program takes an even bigger hit losing all 3 of their Olympic team members. Miyahara and Imai are not soup yet.

Murakami is not my preferred style at all with that posture and toe jump technique but she probably is the best Japan has to offer after Sochi. She actually stacked up pretty well on her own, placing top 5 at Worlds 2 seasons in a row.

Regardless, I see a huge surge in Miyahara's PCS next season.
  26. Karpenko

^ Yeah, that.

She has a very marketable personality too, very approachable and always wears her emotions. She'd also be a lot more competitive internationally as the top Japanese lady, I do think she would fare well against the current crop of Russians due to her strong SS and her improved emotional projection. Her posture and toe jumps look to be two things that have improved a lot since the GP, I went from finding her sloppy to rather refined and on the cusp of being a great skater. She's high-maintenance, but once she gets there you can't dock her for too much. When the top guns retire, if she keeps this condition I think the judges will go with her over maybe any of the other ladies.
  27. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Perhaps Nagasu can switch? :p
  28. Karpenko

:lol: Works for me!
  29. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

This is the most amazing youth skater I have seen since Mao a decade ago. She has enormous promise, I see so much more in her than I do the Russian wonderbabies. WOW
  30. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

What a lovely skater and program (Honda). Wow is right.
  31. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

Eys, flow and skating skills are nice. ;)
  32. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

Marin Honda is wonderful...so expressive. When will she be old enough for the JGP?
  33. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

34. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

This is such bad news.

I'm hoping your sight is good.

I agree, I always thought she could do much better, but for some reason it wasn't happening. I thought this 4CC was going to be a new start, then I find out she's planning retirement. Bummer.

Go figure why her flaws appeal to me, plus, she's got the closest axel to Asada's axel in the field - not hard to guess why.

I don't think the new CoP got rid of corruption or influences or agendas, which should not have a place in the sport, but it seems that coaching is improving. They really pay attention to edges, rotation and speed, and are figuring out how to make a difference. That's good: the sport will be able to build on that, to push further. And it's a joy to watch.
  35. rosewood

Shows scheduled in April(after Worlds):
    3/30 Worlds Exhibition, Saitama http://skatingjapan.or.jp/whatsnew/detail.php?id=2222
    4/3 Nagoya Figure Skating Festival, Nagoya http://event.chunichi.co.jp/figure/
    4/4,5,6 Worlds Osaka Exhibition, Osaka http://skatingjapan.or.jp/whatsnew/detail.php?id=2222
    4/7,9 Super Stars on Ice, Sapporo http://ssi2014.jp/
    4/12,13 Stars on Ice, Tokyo http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/soi2014/
    4/16,17,18 Stars on Ice, Nagoya http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/soi2014/
    4/19,20 Stars on Ice, Osaka http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/soi2014/
    4/26,27,29(5/3,4) Prince Ice World, Yokohama http://www.princehotels.co.jp/iceshow/schedule/
  36. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

37. Lainerb

Lainerb New Member

38. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

It was a joy to watch the entire Japanese Team go for everything at these Olympics, and I'm hoping by the time the next Olympics get here they'll have a fighting chance at the Olympic Team Bronze Medal. And I'm sure they will. They are hard workers and learn fast, but more importantly they are great warriors, never backing down, always going for the most difficult elements no matter what. :cool:

And they always keep it classy, a nod to their nation and the way they were brought up. *bow* :smokin:
  39. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

yes and bring the Shibutanis also.
  40. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Why were Ando and Oda in Sochi? :confused:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.