Japanese skater/skating news & updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Akira Andrea

Akira Andrea Well-Known Member

There was not zamboni, it made a surface smooth by the manpower while arranging many block ices on the barge type platform which had moored at the entrance of a bay.
    While making the rink, they were griped in the heavy snowfall in previous day and, on that day, they were griped by the melting of the rink with the sun shine.

Shizuka Arakawa was skating to "Turandot" on floating ice rink at Siretoko Sea in Hokkaido in Japan.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3YRdr5306g

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

^Thank you!

:lol: Just...crazy.

She looks BEAUITFUL! :glamor:

3. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

4. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

What is going on with the man in a bird costume?! Shizuka did really well considering her blades kept getting stuck in gaps between the blocks of ice :respec:

5. midori

midori Well-Known Member

That video is from last year, when the rink was built on a boat, kept within a bay, and the ice was half-melt.

There was another attempt this year and it went much better.

6. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

She is awesome! I wondered too what is the sad story he told in that youtube video. Then I glanced at the longer youku video, the organizers got so unlucky last year, I'd have cried if I were in his place!

7. Akira Andrea

Translating to English from Japanese.
    0:00
    Eagle: I'm sorry having become such a situation.
    0:05
    Arakawa: Not at all, because no one will be able to estimate that it becomes such situation. And many people cooperated to make the rink.
    0:10
    Arakawa: I, too, would like to do to the last what I can do.
    0:13
    Eagle: Thank you. I’m regrettable.
    0:21
    Arakawa: Anyway, let's try! I may be able to do it if it's the still image.
    0:26
    Eagle: Is it true?!
    0:28
    Arakawa: That’s right. Because it’s the photograph.
    0:32
    She puts on the skates anyway, but, perhaps, this is the worst skating rink in her life for Arakawa. No, it is in the condition which it is difficult even to say that it is a rink to no longer.

0:44
    Arakawa: I'm scared!
    0:46
    The edge of the skates is sinking into the ice as if it cuts the sherbet with the knife.
    0:53
    Eagle: Please, take it easy!
    0:56
    Even Arakawa who had thought that it can somehow work out is fully in situation of giving up.
    1:02
    Arakawa: I'm scared!
    1:03
    Eagle: I, too, think that you will feel so.
    1:06
    Eagle: Arakawa! I ask you although I'm fearful of your reply. Can you perform the Ina Bauer on this?
    1:16
    Arakawa: This may be fairly severe. Because it is fairly difficult to skate straight.
    1:25
    Eagle: Please speak definitely. Can you perform the Ina Bauer?
    1:32
    Arakawa: I can’t do it.
    1:34
    Eagle: I see!

1:36
    Arakawa: I don't say that I can't do as for most cases, but I can't do as for this case.
    1:41
    Eagle: Everybody! Thank you very much for coming here today. This rink had been arranged cleanly in this morning, but the rink has become the sherbet condition by the cause of sunshine although I don't know whether the sunshine is a friend or an enemy. Therefore, the rink has become the condition which it is difficult even to skate in. Because Shizuka Arakawa said that she can't perform the Ina Bauer in this condition, we think that we would like to be businesslike as the calendar photography, while adopting 'this especial floating ice' and 'the rink which we prepared with affection' as the back ground.
    02:40
    Eagle began to weep.
    02:44
    Audience: Fight! Don’t cry!
    The applause to encourage the eagle
    02:57
    Audience: Fight!
    03:03
    Eagle: On this floating ice type rink which was filled with a lot of love which was prepared by the cooperation of people at Rausu town, we would like to photograph the pose of Ina Bauer for the calendar of February.
    03:29
    Eagle: Please, begin.
    03:35
    There was the proposal from Arakawa who listened to the great speech of eagle.

03:40
    Arakawa: Because the ice is the condition like this, I can't do anything, but because I am wearing the skates especially, I would like to study for about one minute whether I can't show the mere form of the movement of skating.
    03:56
    Eagle: Really!!
    03:58
    Arakawa: Because I lose my balance in the ice like a sherbet even for skating forward, I think that I may skate looking down, but...
    04:04
    Eagle: But, please don’t overdo it really!
    04:06
    Eagle: Please be careful really!
    (Because he spoke in the local dialect of west Japan, audience laughed pleasantly.)

04:09
    The Turandot resounds to the sea in Shiretoko-peninsula!
    04:14
    Eagle: Well, everybody! Thank you for waiting!
    04:21
    Eagle: Music, start!
    04:25
    ♪Turandot
    04:50
    Audience: The best! The best! The best!
    05:50
    Eagle: You skated excellently like that for us to the surprising degree.  It is incredible already! It is awesome in this condition!
    05:58
    Arakawa: I am surprised at myself, too. It is the first experience for me.
    06:03
    Eagle: You watched the Ina Bauer, don't you? You watched the Ina Bauer certainly, don't you?
    06:10
    Arakawa: Because the true Ina Bauer isn't the thing like that although it is the Ina Bauer, I am ashamed of it.
    06:15
    Eagle: What will you be speaking? All people understand that you have performed it in the condition like this.
    06:19
    Arakawa: It may be the next subject for the future, mayn't it?
    06:21:
    Eagle: Soh! (What?)
    06:24
    Eagle: Do you perform the Ina Bauer for us again, if we said that we make the rink like this once more?
    06:28
    Arakawa: I would like to do it. After completing it because the idea came out especially here, I would like to go to the next step. Because my feelings is regret somewhat now.
    06:37
    Eagle: Thank you very much really!
    06:38
    Arakawa: Not at all. Thank you very much. You did your best for this.
    06:43
    Eagle: Please be sure to come when we challenge it next.
    06:45
    Arakawa: Yes.
    06:47
    Eagle: Thank you very much.
    06:48
    The calendar of February, 2013 “The Ina Bauer on the floating ice type rink”

End

Reference:
    Rause town on wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rausu,_Hokkaido

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  8. Loves_Shizuka

Sincere apologies if this has been posted before? A friend sent me these links of Shizuka interviewing Dai:

Part One: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipyBdxtCriA
    Part Two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ5jAacJgBE
    Part Three: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFSK1C4V3cU
    Part Four: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCR9mi-a0Hw

BUT my Japanese is not good enough to fully translate this; I can pick up on a few things; he is working harder this year than he was last season??? I think he calls himself an Uncle! (??? I think :eek: )

Shizuka mentions that she knew she had to change her programmes before Torino. Dai says that Turandot was very special for her.

I get the impression Dai loved Vancouver and likes Sochi but didn't like Torino (Can't really work out what they said about that)

I think he wanted to retire after Moscow worlds?? But didn't do well there so carried on.

:lol: Asks Shizuka if she's coming back for Sochi??

Hanyu motivates him. Shizuka said Mao had the same effect on her.

Something about dancing, singing, karaoke, drinking....

And more... someone much better than I else needs to correct me and help us translate. Sorry for my bad Japanese :eek: :rofl:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  9. homura

homura New Member

10. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot.

Thank you :)!

11. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Thank you for the translation, Akira Andrea! Things make more sense now :).

12. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

LOL~ Uncle Dai is just so amazing...

13. Akira Andrea

The man who wore the eagle suits prepared the floating ice type rink on the very cold sea in the north side of Japan at last, while suffering the many troubles for several cold days, but, in this day of the event, the surface of the the rink began to melt by the sunshine for the rare fine weather after a long time.

If speaking about why he wore the eagle suits, it is because the eagle is the country symbol of the Rausu town where this event was held.

The country symbol of the Rausu Town.
    http://ameblo.jp/country-sign-hokkaido/entry-10608084770.html

Steller's sea eagle (wikipedia)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steller's_Sea_Eagle

14. Akira Andrea

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  15. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

16. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

:eek: Incredible flexibility and strength. I wonder if any of the younger skaters at comparable height could do this? Also loved her composure. :D

17. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

:wideeyes: :cheer2:

18. Loves_Shizuka

:shizuka1: :respec: :glamor:

19. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

That was soooo awesome, I couldn't imagine the strength that would take.

20. MysticHaze

MysticHaze Member

What are the chances of Miki Ando returning next season?

21. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

miki:wuzrobbed

as she mentioned, next season will be her last. she wants to have a satisfying end to her career. don't know in which way this will be. world team trophy or japan open seem more likely than going again for the olympics.
    she would have to go to b-competition for minimum tes and has to qualify for japan nationals (maybe a bye due to home pick grand prix). not to mention that it will be not too easy to get one of the three spots.
    or maybe she finishes her career at worlds in her home country.

asking me, i doubt we will see her competitve again, but hope dies last. and until that day i pray :p

22. NMURA

NMURA Member

ANDO
    Probably she's inclined to comeback after watching Suzuki's debacle and the rough deal to Miyahara (at JW). I suspect that the JSF won't give her a NHK spot. It will be Asada, Murakami and Miyahara. Ando must do Chubu regional and Western sectionals, and she'll be sent to NRW trophy in order to gain the minimum TES. At Japanese nationals... it's all up to who they want to choose for the 3rd spot. I don't expect much preferential treatments for her. Skipping two seasons and "coming back" just for her personal satisfaction is too opportunistic. In last year (after cancelling participating COC), she has said that Sochi Olympics is a "reward" for her (past contributions). That remark could make negative effects to JSF considerations.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  23. Sylvia

Sylvia On to JGPF & GPF!

Coupe du Printemps, March 22-24 in Luxembourg - results for JPN skaters:
    Tatsuki Machida won the silver in Senior Men (181.58) - his videos: SP (61.47, 2nd) & FS (120.11, 1st)
    Risa Shoji won the bronze in Senior Ladies (129.66).
    Riona Kato won the gold in Junior Ladies (146.25).
    Sei Kawahara won the bronze in Junior Men (151.31).
    Mai Mihara won the gold in Adv. Novice Ladies (112.26); Yuka Kito was 9th (76.09).

Triglav Trophy results so far:

Daisuke Murakami is 3rd after Senior Men SP (66.69) - 3A +1, 3Lz(e)+2T, 3F (this is his first competition back since his WD during his NHK Trophy SP last November);
    Akio Sasaki is 4th (66.25) - 3A fall, 3Lz+3T, 3F.

Miyabi Oba is 2nd after Senior Ladies SP (54.63) - 3Lo+3T, 3F, 2A.

Junior Men 2nd in SP: Taichi Honda (51.11).
    Junior Ladies 2nd in SP: Yura Matsuda (49.58).
    Advanced Novice Boys 1st in SP: Sota Yamamoto (47.22).
    Advanced Novice Girls SP 1-2: Marin Honda (47.10), Kaori Sakamoto (41.62).

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  24. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Wouldn't this depend on who her new coach was, and, if a Japanese coach, and she's training in Japan, how respected that coach is? (Not that I'd expect Mr. Sato to take her on.)

25. lauravvv

Aren't you just assuming? I understand that the last part in brackets is from you, not her. It's possible that she didn't mean it that way (that the JSF should give that reward to her for her past achievements), but rather that she sees it as a possible reward to herself (from herself) for all the hard work that she's done, but still a reward that she can only gain by having good enough results in the Olympic season itself.

26. NMURA

NMURA Member

The (past contribution) part is my interpretation, but it's quite apparent that Ando considers obtaining the Olympic spot is a personal matter. All Olympians should participate the most important sports event with the national pride and goals above personal satisfactions.

27. Akira Andrea

Because Japan Federation has never decided the Japan representative for Olympics by only past contribution of a player, no player expect such a situation in Japan, too.
    Miki Ando never said that she expect Sochi Olympics participation as the reward for her past contribution.

She said, "It is sure that the Olympics is my goal, but I have not competed in a competition, thinking that I would like to participate to Olympics, even once. It was so, too, in the time of Vancouver Olympics. The Olympics is a reward (as the result). I would like to say that it is not for the Sochi Olympics that I compete in next season".

I think that she meant not the reward for the past contribution but the reward for her result in next season.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  28. lauravvv

Thank you for explaining. I suspected so.

29. icellist

icellist Member

Haruka Imai's silver medal at gardena trophy raises her world standing to 2088 placing her in top 24 (pushing out Amelie Lacoste)

She is now guaranteed a GP invite

30. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

She will push out Elena Glebova from the Top 24 WS. The WS list is adjusted before GP selections to drop everything from the 2010-11 season and to factor everything from the 2011-12 season at 70%.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.