Japanese skater/skating news & updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ostile17

ostile17 Well-Known Member

l'etoile and (deleted member) like this.
  2. artsciboy

artsciboy New Member

3. cbd1235

cbd1235 Well-Known Member

4. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

We can't begin to know----at least those of us who don't compete---what these skates go through when all their handwork and sacrifice isn't fulfilled. Seeing her cry makes me feel really sad, and I wish I hadn't watched it really, except that in the future I will give more thought to the skater who falls short of their goals.

5. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

wow Mura kicked Oda , Machida and Kozuka's Butts
    sad Kozuka not going :(

6. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Poor thing!!! I hope she can feel better and give great performances at 4CC and worlds. I think her programs this season are :kickass: (love the departure from her usual sweet persona for the SP).

And I'm really sad to see Kozuka skating poorly, I hope his injury can heal quickly and he can have a great Olympic season.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  7. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

She said she couldn't finetune things the way she wanted to and that it [the results] couldn't be helped - I don't think she was referring to any future competition ;)

And apparently she's confirmed that she'll continue until Sochi - hopefully those issues in the FS at GPF and Nats will motivate her towards great things at 4CC and Worlds ^_^

8. vmfan89

vmfan89 Member

Yes, but Narumi Takahashi is tiny and now looking for a Japanese partner :)

9. ks1227

ks1227 Well-Known Member

I thought these were two of the best programs he has had. I only hope he keeps one or both of them and comes back strong next year. :(

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Sedge

Sedge Active Member

They may well be the best 2 programs on the whole circuit this season.
    In my books they are.

ks1227 and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

I'd give the edge to the SP though if he wants to keep one program for next season - but that's only because I loved last season's freeskate so and still miss it.

Oda's Sorcerer's Apprentice is his best LP in a long time too. :(

I'm still not reconciled to neither even making 4CC.

12. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

On his Olympic bio it said he was 5'4" and 123 lbs. Some female pair skaters are probably that size. Mervin Tran is over 10 cm taller than Oda and Narumi is as tiny as they come. Oda would be better off switching countries. I know he trains and lives in Canada, but obviously this switching nationalities thing isn't very easy...

13. icellist

icellist Member

So Haruka Imai had a decent start to the season with a bronze at Nebelhorn and solid 5th at Skate America, both with great FS. She had pretty dismal showings at NHK and nationals. How do you guys think the coaching change to Yuka Sato has been for Imai in the past 2 seasons? And where does her career lead towards? I think she can still get 1 GP with her ranking and season's best but with Rika Hongo maybe turning junior (I presume Miyahara will be junior again), that NHK spot next season will go to Hongo or Ando if she chooses to return.

14. midori

midori Well-Known Member

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  15. skate65

skate65 New Member

Oda's coach, Lee Barkell, is a pairs coach in addition to singles. Lee competed internationally as a pair. But Oda is too slight I think and he is such a great singles skater. He just needs a year where things all connect and go his way. He was off last year with his knee tendon injury. I hope he continues. I agree his long program is one of his best in many years. Missing both triple axels in the long program at nationals is unusual. His triple axel is one of the best in the world.

16. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

17. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

They're having a dozen of :swoon: skating shows in Japan in these 2 weeks. Each of them has gorgeous casts, top skaters form Japan and the world.

Now JSOI tour in Osaka is starting in an hour and they have one more show tomorrow.
    http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/soi2013/osaka.html

On Monday they'll have two shows of Nagoya Festival.
    http://event.chunichi.co.jp/figure/

Japan Super Challenge on Tuesday.
    http://tokai-tv.com/event/jsc2013/index.html

From next Saturday to Monday they'll have JSOI tour in Tokyo.
    http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/soi2013/tokyo.html

18. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

This!

19. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

20. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

EDIT: Apologizes, I didn't see he had made an official declaration on the subject after the SOI exhib of today until now ;) - although that was to be expected

He also said in a documentary recently aired on Japanese tv, to his coach who mentioned the fact that several skaters returned to competition after "retiring" a first time, that he planned to "give it all [he] had [until 2014] to the point that [he] would never want to come back"

He also stated a couple of time that he isn't even sure he'll continue skating at all - i.e. he may not even do shows afterwards - and rather focus on coaching (but when asked, said he doesn't plan to be a choreographer, interestingly enough)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  21. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Article in English: http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/...ng-japans-takahashi-quit-sochi-103957356.html

Thanks for the links, midori! Has Kozuka said what type of foot injury he has? Hope he can heal well.

22. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

Wow, Japanese skating will take a hit after Sochi, with Takahashi, Suzuki, and Ando actually retiring. Mao has yet to say anything but I wouldn't be too shocked if Sochi is her last outing as well, and there is also Oda. I will cry after the Sochi Olympics for about a week :lol:

23. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

Thanks for the information about the recent documentary, rayhaneh. It saddens me to think that Daisuke Takahashi may hang his skates up forever after the 2014 Olympics. :(

24. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I wouldn't be surprised to see stars as big as these skaters appear pretty quickly after this group leaves the eligible ranks. Does any country even come close to the depth of Japan in the combined fields of men's and ladies??

25. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Should we really analyze whether Oda could do pairs? He is too short to do synchro. He might even be too short to date.

26. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

Well Oda is already married, so someone didn't think he was too short to date :p

27. casken

casken Well-Known Member

If Oda completed just one more jump cleanly between the sp and lp we wouldn't even be having this discussion. It's too quick to throw away an entire career because he came up slightly short in the most competitive nationals in the world.

He'll be in the running for the Olympic team next year, he just really needs to figure out how to skate competitions like he skates his practices.

skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  28. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

As mentioned above, Oda successfully won the dating fight, and even made sure to generate offsprings: he's all set.

Whether or not he could pair up with Mervin, it would be entirely up to his ability to learn how to be the men partner. Of course, he has the side by side jumping part down (which isn't going to be much useful is Mervin doesn't), but he'd still have a long way to go, expecially given he's no hercules.

29. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

Sorry, I am deperately trying to imagine Mervin and Odaddy pairing up but everytime I think I am coming close I dissolve in laughter and I have to start focusing again :rofl:

So how would that work? Am I to understand Nobu would lift Mervin? :D

PS: Yep, apparently it will come as a shock to some, but as you correctly pointed out, he was even able to make babies (well, one baby, at any rate)! OMG how can that be even possible, right? :lol:

http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/yume_light/16767100/196731/196731_600.jpg

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  30. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

I think someone like Cynthia Phaneuf might be able to lift and throw him. I'm not sure that the Japanese have anyone who could do it, though. :shuffle:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.