Japanese skater/skating news & updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sleepypanda

sleepypanda Member

Junior Worlds Assignments (for anyone who cares):
    Men: HINO Ryuju, TANAKA Keiji
    Ladies: MIYAHARA Satoko, HONGO Rika

2. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

I can't believe Kozuka's season ends here. I loved both his programs, especially the SP, and he's been skating so well... It's unbelievably unfair.:(

The Accordion, Maofan7, hanca and 3 others like this.
  3. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Congrats to Mura for his worlds debut but I cannot hide my broken hearted feeling for Kozuka:(

4. floskate

floskate Vacant

Not just Kozuka but Oda. Both skaters are clearly top 10 in the world and they don't even get to go to that or 4CC's? I guess in another year it may have been different but with 4CC's in Japan the JSF will want their top 3 from both events headlining. So the chances of Takahashi or Hanyu pulling out of 4CC's and Kozuka or Oda getting the nod seem pretty slim.

:(

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  5. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

No Worlds for Taka? I'm heartbroken!

6. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

The results here seem to indicate that the fall and grand prix skating season are either bang bang bang, one event fast on another's footsteps, forcing the skaters to peak week after week, or like US Nationals used to be when they had multiple ladies who were world medallists, there was intense pressure to make the world team.

Veterans such as Kozuka, Oda and Suzuki just looked tired.

7. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Watching the LP videos, I can't deny Mura's performance. But gutted. No 4CC for Taka/Oda is really harsh when the field was this competitive. :( :wuzrobbed

8. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies über

l'etoile and (deleted member) like this.
  9. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Thank you for the correction. I would certainly not wanna be one of JSF officials in this situation. Japan's men's field is sooooooooooo deep!

10. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

11. tkaug

tkaug Member

He got his right arch injured a week before the nationals.
    It is definitely because of the injury that he left out a 3Lo from his free program and put a 2A instead. This seems pretty serious so I think it was a right decision that he didn't make the World team this time.

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2012/12/22/kiji/K20121222004833740.html

As for Oda not making the 4CC team or the World team, perhaps the JSU was sending him a message.

12. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

With 4CC being in Japan Yuzuru and Daisuke were locks but Im surprised they went with Mura again. I would have given that to 4th place Oda. Heartbroken for Kozuka but with a 5th place finish there's not much you can claim :( :(

As for Ladies, Akiko didnt make the podium so I was hoping 4CC would be given to Nishino .

An in dance , no matter they actually had a field this year (4 teams) they are only sending the Reed even when the 2nd and 3rd team have met the TES minimun internationally.

Damn this results and assignments are SOOOO frustrating.

13. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

the other dance teams have the tes?
    didn´t know that. that is absolutely frustrating.

14. Carina

Carina Member

Feel sad for Kozuka :-(((

15. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

So am I.I hope he does not lose heart and comes back strong in Olympic year. It is hard to accept that a Worlds Silver medalist and a skater with one of the most gorgeous SS in the business has not made the Worlds team ( or 4CC team...)

16. tkaug

tkaug Member

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

With Hanyu, Takahashi, Kozuka, Machida, Mura and Oda all skating well at the GPs, I wish the Federation would at least spread the assignments around. Oda missing out on a 4CC spot after coming in 3rd in the free and narrowly missing the podium seems quite unfortunate. Hoping Kozuka a speedy recovery.

18. Jeschke

19. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Deleted. Wrong link.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  20. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Here's Daisuke Takahashi's exhibition skate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVL900snjws

Other "Medalist on Ice" performances (so far):

Mao Asada: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucvuig-WS9s

Yuzuru Hanyu: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFKe8aliMmo

Kanako Murakami: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYJv6lB_Sgc

Akiko Suzuki: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7H6sqBu1ds

Takahito Mura: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfVLgLx2Y30

Finale: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkpgFscTIeQ

Lambiel was the invited guest performer.
    http://www.onice.jp/

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  21. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Thanks Sylvia I was in such a rush when I posted. I deleted the link.

22. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Well-Known Member

I am also heartbroken for Kozuka. Since he is injured probably the best thing is for him to heal....not try and train through the injury for 4CC or Worlds (JMO). He need to come back strong and healthy for next season if he wants to make the World/Olympic team in this deep field.

I am also very sad for Akiko since I love her skating. She is going to Worlds and 4CC so that is a good thing. I am really puzzled about her season. Early on she had a lot of problems with the SP and rocked the FS. Now, she seems to be doing fine with the SP and having major problems with the FS. Since I don't read or understand Japanese I wonder if she has an injury which is causing her trouble with the 3Flip? It seems so odd that GPF and here it was such a problem for her. It would be great if she does well at 4CC and Worlds. I hope she continues on to 2014!

23. skate65

skate65 New Member

I can't believe that they didn't assign Oda to 4CC as he skated well at Skate Canada and came 3rd. At Rostelcom he came back with a great long placing 2nd in the long and he came 3rd in the long at japanese nationals. This seems very harsh. The depth is unique. I am very disappointed. These skaters work so hard, sacrifice so much and at any other nationals Oda and Kozuka would have made the world team.

24. Jeschke

being fine means 3t2t?
    that´s not fine for a current worlds bronze medalist and wannebe real contender for 2013/14 world and olympic medals.

25. maureenfarone

Akiko has never been a real consistent skater. This season at Skate Canada she was 5th in SP and 1st in FS and Overall 2. At NHK she was 5th in SP 1st in FS and Overall 2. Then, at the GPF she was 3rd in all phases. At Japanese Nationals she was 1st in SP (over Mao the Olympic Silver Medalist who popped her loop) and 5th in the FS and Overall 4th.

No, I don't think a 3t/2t was great - she was going for a 3t/3t but has struggled with it this year.

It just seemed like she might have some type of injury to have so much trouble with her flip and lutz at Japan Nationals. I don't read or speak the language so I wondered if anyone who does might have heard something in the interview Yukari did with Akiko - or something in an article.

I still enjoy Akiko more than any of the other Japanese ladies, though of course Mao is also lovely.

26. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Several skaters complained about the ice being too hard, so it is possible that affected their timing with toe pick jumps. I guess if you were already struggling with a particular jump (flip, in Akiko's case), that would only make matters worse.

27. maureenfarone

Thanks Ioana, I hadn't heard about that.

28. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I feel bad for Oda. He couldn't capitalize earlier in his career when he had chances and now other skaters have passed him by. Maybe he can do pair ....

29. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I thought Oda is quite short for pairs...

30. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

Indeed. I think he's quite a tiny person overall, and although that suits both him and his current skating abilities, he'd have to pair up with a lady close to being invisible.

-- I'm heartbroken for Kozuka. A lot of his best qualities can't be seen in any other male skater, even in this incredibly deep field. Iìll miss those a lot. May he get back on the ice strong and competitive.

Thanks! A spoon full of sweet Asada <3

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.