Japanese skater/skating news & updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Whereas I didn't see anything insensitive about os168's post. The Japanese Federation expressed concerned about the safety of its skaters/delegation and took this into consideration in determining whether they would send them to Cup of China. os168 addressed the issue of attacking skaters as a protest in that context, as I read it.

2. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

Well I didn't really. What does being a skater have to do whether or not you are attacked by an angry mob? I doubt they would care. And why is there a time and place for that anyway?

It really rubbed me the wrong way but I will let it rest now.

3. DELTA

DELTA Active Member

4. jlai

jlai Title-less

I echo your sentiments. :)

I hope all the skaters :kickass: and we'll see a great competition!

5. DELTA

DELTA Active Member

6. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

7. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

8. icellist

icellist Member

While I agree with your opinion that 3X-3T combos are easier and more common than the 3X-3L combos, I don't think that's the reason Miki left it out of her program. She's not the young girl she is anymore, and she doesn't want to end up like Tara Lipinski: hip injury and all. While I would love for Miki to have competed with a 4S + 3Lz-3L SP jumps, it's not very realistic.

Also, why can't Miki repeat the loop jump? It's done in combination. If Miki wanted, she can do a 3Lz-3L + 3L. Nothing in the rule stops her. I'm quite sure a skater can compete with a 3X-3T + 3T SP.

9. inskate

inskate Active Member

Well, the age certainly is a factor, but the fact is that the skaters keep doing risky things as long as they are rewarded for it. Miki might not do 4S anymore, but I saw her doing 3S-3L and 3Lz-3L-3L relatively recently.

It is nigh impossible for a senior lady with a mature body to get a 3-3L ratified those days, and even if they can do it (and keep doing it) in practice, they rarely attempt in in the competition.
    Even if by some miracle they'd get some of their attempts ratified, there is the question of GoEs. Ice coverage is one of the bullet points for +GoE, and in my experience the judges go really crazy for jumps that just fly across the ice. Even perfectly rotated 3L combo doesn't cover as much ice as perfectly done 3T one, and in result it actually ends up scoring lower than 3T one.

If this was just the issue of physical condition, I think we'd see more men attempt 3-3L combos (and some of the skaters are capable of doing them in practice). :)

(Plus, a 4S, 3Lz-3L SP is unrealistic for the ladies for now simply because it isn't allowed. A triple out of steps is the required element. :cool: )

Actually, she can't:
    The only way for a skater to repeat a jump in SP is to have the repeated jumps be a part of the same combination (3T-3T or 3L-3L). :)

10. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

I totally agree with you. And I hate this trend. Different kinds of jumps have their own different kinds of beauty.

11. zebobes

zebobes Active Member

So far as I remember, Kanako Murakami is the only skater I have seen so far to put all three jumping passes in the bonus section in the SP this season. I think it fits the program well though.

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

That principle is not evenly applied, even by the same judges (when the protocols don't juggle the judge columns from skater to skater) who might give equal GOE to a second jump in combo that has height, but drops to a stop, or a 4T combo, in which GOE appears to be based on the quality of the 4T, as long as the 3T or 2T is done competently, or, most obviously, the number of three-jump combos that get +GOE with little or no flow out of the last jump, let alone the last two, as long as they're landed in a straight-ish line.

It's always a risk that the judges will judge GOE like you describe, but there's no guarantee.

13. chika3

chika3 Member

14. chika3

chika3 Member

15. ponta1

ponta1 Active Member

16. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

Quick translation of the article:

On the 18th, the Japanese Skating Federation announced the dissolution of the partnership between Takahashi Narumi and Mervin Tran, who won the Pairs' bronze medal at the world championships

Both skaters intend to continue skating in competition and are said to be looking for new partners

Narumi Takahashi said "Recently, as we've differed in the way we think about competing, we've come to disagree with each other. We actively feel like continuing with the skating that we love, so we've decided to end our partnership

Narumi Takahashi, from Chiba prefecture, formed a partnership with Mervin Tran in 2007. At this year's World Championships, they won the first medal of a pair for Japan in any major championship

Looking towards the Sochi Olympics which will take place in 2014, the aim was that Mervin Tran would obtain the Japanese citizenship, but the fact that he hadn't had a track record of living in Japan made it very difficult

PS: I am at work and did this really fast so it's not the most accurate thing ever :p

17. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

thanks for the infos and translation.

wow, didn´t see that coming (even if he couldn´t gain japanese citizenship before sochi).

i really liked their programs and am sad to hear this. now japan really has a problem for the team competition.
    maybe they sould take the 4th guy, didn´t qualify for olympics and turn him into a pair skater in few weeks ;)

18. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

:eek::( Olympic is important and it is a very valuable experience for any athletes, but I hoped they figured it in a different way and continued their work. So shame:(

19. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

^ This news is a real shame! :( :eek:

20. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Well-Known Member

Sad news, indeed! Thank you Rayhaneh for the translation :respec:

21. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

:( :( Did not see that coming at all.

22. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Ugh. Unbelievable.

I wonder if Tran will come back to Canada?

23. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

It's possible there were real disagreements, but the skeptic in me has to wonder if it was really Narumi's decision or the JSF. If the latter, good luck finding a Japanese guy that will place her anywhere near so high in Sochi (especially given her jump inconsistency). Gutted. :(

What are the current rules regarding Tran representing Canada? Can he be eligible for Sochi if he sits this season out?

24. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I guess it's good he didn't change citizenship.

25. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

That is my first thought too. After realizing it would be impossible for Mervin to obtain a Japanese citizenship, JSF wants Narumi to find a Japanese partner. At least this way they will a have a pair at the Olympics, even if not a very good one. I am very sad, it was a beautiful team with some of my favorite programs.

26. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I hope that they both find the partner best for them.

27. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Thanks for the heads up. Since this is major news, a separate news/discussion thread has been started in GSD: Takahashi & Tran split

This news was posted in the Japan Nationals entries thread in Kiss and Cry yesterday:

28. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

29. skatinginbc

skatinginbc New Member

30. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

The 4CC and World Teams have been announced and the JSF has decided to send exactly the same team of athletes to both events, namely:

Men: Yuzuru Hanyu, Daisuke Takahashi, Takahito Mura

Ladies: Mao Asada, Kanako Murakami, Akiko Suzuki

Dance: Reed/ Reed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.