Japanese skater/skating news & updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Blind date? :p

Me too! :wuzrobbed::wuzrobbed::wuzrobbed: I love Olympics and all the excitement connected with it, but I hate all the retirements following soon afterwards. :(

I think Russia came close in the late 90-ies. E.g. in 1999 they had 4 Men in GPF, very promising Juniors (Ilia Klimkin won JW that year) and some skaters decided to switch countries (Davydov, Paskevitch) due to that depths. In Ladies Irina Slutskaya, twice European Champion, couldn’t qualify for Euros and Worlds that year as Butyrskaja, Soldatova and Volchkova all were in excellent shape. Elena Sokolova, who had competed successfully the previous season, also didn’t make the team.

I’m also pretty sure that Russia will have more depth in Senior Ladies than Japan in the upcoming years. But for the time being Japan is probably clear winner in this field. :)
  2. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Oda is the same size as some pairs GIRLS, seriously, that's not going to happen. Even Cong Han is at least 5 cm taller and of more substantial build, and Sui is as tiny as pairs girls come (and she might not have even hit puberty yet) soo yeah...no pairs for Oda.
  3. Akira Andrea

Akira Andrea New Member

This is an article in “Daily Sports” in Japan.
    Translating to English from Japanese.

Mao is going to declare a cancellation of the ban on triple Axel, in both SP and FS.
    6th January 2013.

The ice show “Stars on Ice” was opened in Namihaya Dome in Osaka city in 5th January, and Mao Asada (22, Chukyo University), Daisuke Takahashi (26, Kansai Postgraduate school) etc. showed the first skating in new year.

Mao is going to declare a cancellation of the ban on triple Axel, which she had continued to freeze in last year, in both SP and FS. In Japan Nationals which she won in the end of last year, the condition of her triple Axel jump is improving steadily, such as landing many times in the practice.
    So she swore saying “I think that I would like to incorporate the triple Axel in both SP and FS. I will practice, aiming at that.”

As soon as ending the Japan Nationals, she started the practice again, but she rested only New Year's Day. She said with smiling, “I ate ‘Osechi’ or ‘Japanese New Year dishes’ in my home and it was delicious.”

At the show, performing to the exhibition program, “Merry Poppins” she nailed the double Axel excellently, having an umbrella.

Having finished performing the role of heroine cutely, she said "I could skate delightfully ", by the look to have satisfied.

After ending the Tokyo Tour of that ice show in 14th January, she plans to go to Canada for modification of the short program.

Aiming at the Four Continents (Osaka) in February and the Worlds (Canada) in March, she said, "I think that I would like to incorporate the more difficult jumps in it, without destroying the good part of the program."               

The article: Mao is going to declare a cancellation of the ban on triple Axel.
    http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/winter/skate/figure/headlines/20130106-00000016-dal-spo.html
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  4. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

Japan Super Challenge 2013 (a competition which sees a number of Japanese skaters divided into two groups skating against each other) is underway now in Nagoya, with the 2 groups as follows (in order of skating):

Group Red: 1. Satoko Miyahara 2. Tatsuki Machida 3. Sota Yamamoto 4. Nobunari Oda 5. Kanako Murakami 6. Mao Asada

Group Blue: 1. Takahito Mura 2. Ryuju Hino 3. Kaori Sakamoto 4. Akiko Suzuki 5. Yuzuru Hanyu 6. Daisuke Takahashi

This will be shown on Fuji TV on February 3rd
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  5. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

It's Zamboni time and Team Red have 168 points while Team Blue have 232

Left to skate are Kanako and Mao for Team Red and Yuzuru and Daisuke for Team Blue

Twitter feeds report that Machida and Akiko had good skates, while Nobunari Oda had several jump mistakes :(

Also, Akiko skated her Kill Bill routine and apparently Takahito Mura played Bill to her Kiddo and she slays him at the end :D
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  6. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

Blue Team won be a narrow margin :)

Apparently Kanako and Mao struggled both on one element but skated very well overall

Yuzuru on the other hand had mistakes on all of his jumps passes (fell on the quad and the 3A - he was skating his short program)

Takahashi skated his tango exhib and skated clean

Although it won't be on tv before next month, I'd imagine we'll get images of the competition via the news ;)
  7. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Is there any rule that the man has to do the throwing and lifting? Seriously. In dance, the woman sometimes lifts the man. Test the boundaries, go outside the box. lol
  8. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

9. apatinar

apatinar New Member

whoah, Oda has been busy! lol.. So, I have often wondered with Japanese skaters.. With the extreme popularity of skating right now in Japan, are all the top skaters making a lot of money in the same way North American skaters were back in the 90's? I remember being in Japan a couple of years ago and was astounded by all of the posters of skaters in the subways and all of the commercials...
    It is very easy to google net worth's of celebrities and athletes here in the U.S. but the only Asian skater I can find a net worth on is Yu-Na Kim.

I just wonder about this because skating is such an expensive sport and now Oda has 2 children to support.
  10. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

11. minmin

minmin New Member

Miki Ando left Toyota Motor Corp at 1st January.

http://www.facebook.com/miki.ando.official

Toyota was going to support, but she decided to leave. Because she is sorry to have rested competitions for 2 seasons.
    She also say "I'll return competitions remembering supporter of Toyota at next season.":)
  12. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Well-Known Member

well, we don't know what his wife does? Maybe she has a well paying job :)
    kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

So she IS coming back next season?
  14. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

At least in the statement on her FB page, she says she will be competing nexxt season ;)
  15. inskate

inskate Active Member

Thanks for the info! I hope to see her skating soon (if not in competition, then at least in shows). :)

Quite the opposite, actually - Nobunari and his wife, Mayu, were friends since middle school. Nobunari asked Mayu out in 2005. She turned him down at first, saying that as a figure skater he would travel too much and she would feel too lonely, but then asked him out a month later. In a recent TV show, Meringue no Kimochi, they appeared together and Mayu revealed that she turned him down at first because at that time there was a fad going on with people asking each other out for a joke, so she decided to test if Nobunari was truly honest. Smart lady. :lol:
  16. Lainerb

Lainerb New Member

This is exciting indeed. With Japanese ladies in their current situation Ando probably has a good chance of making the Olympic team if she is in somewhat good form. :cheer:
  17. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

There have been several announcements made by the JSF today, one including international assignments for Kozuka, Oda and Machida: it appears they will all come to Europe between February and April

http://www.jiji.com/jc/zc?k=201301/2013011600909&g=spo

Takahiko Kozuka will be at the Challenge Cup (Den Haag, Netherlands, February 21-24) and the Gardena Spring Trophy (Selva, Italy, April 1-3)

Nobunari Oda will take part to the Bavarian Open (Oberstdorf, Germany, February 7-10)

Tatsuki Machida will participate to the Coupe de Printemps(Luxembourg, March 22-24)
  18. seabm7

seabm7 Member

I guess this means Kozuka will be recovered from his injury and ready for skating on February. I'm glad he and others got more international assignments before the end of the season.
  19. mathil

mathil Member

After his injury, he was advised to stay off the ice for one month. So he should be able to resume training at the end of January.
  20. NMURA

NMURA Member

I guess Kozuka's "injury" was not that serious in the first place. He and his coach might have needed some excuses for the setback at Nationals.
  21. midori

midori Well-Known Member

22. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

That's excellent strategy WRT World Standings points: Oda (1st at Nebelhorn) and Machida (1st at Nepala) have one Senior B this year, and Kozuka has none so far. Good showings at these events will help to keep their standings up or at least from dropping too far down the food chain: at the end of this season Kozuka, for example, will lose more than half his WS points from 2010-11, while many other skaters will have championship points to compensate for the ones they will lose.
  23. NMURA

NMURA Member

Spring International Assignments

Bavarian Open (Oberstdorf, GER)
    Nobunari Oda
    Kento Nakamura
    Yuki Nishino

Challenge Cup (The Hague, NED)
    Takahiko Kozuka
    Reo Ishizuka (N)
    Wakaba Higuchi (N)

Coupe du Printemps (Luxembourg, LUX)
    Tatsuki Machida
    Sei Kawahara
    Riona Kato
    Risa Shoji
    Kaori Sakamoto (N)
    Yuka Kito (N)

Gardena Spring Trophy (Selva Val Gardena, ITA)
    Takahiko Kozuka
    Haruka Imai
    Shu Nakamura
    Rin Nitaya
    Taichiro Yamakuma (N)
    Eriko Yamakuma (N) they are twin brother and sister
    Yuhana Yokoi (N)

Triglav Trophy (Jesenice, SLO)
    Daisuke Murakami
    Akio Sasaki
    Miyabi Oba
    Taichi Honda (J)
    Yura Matsuda (J)
    Sota Yamamoto (N)
    Mai Mihara (N)
    Marin Honda (N)

I'm surprised to see so many athletes are going to be sent to Europe. After all, the JSF is fairly rich.
  24. apatinar

apatinar New Member

25. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

There is a fairly long interview on the Canon website with Takeshi Honda who talks about Japan's Men skating:

http://web.canon.jp/event/skating/interview/int_honda1.html

Maybe one of our Japanese speakers can provide a translation? If not, I will try to do so between today and this weekend, depending on the workload ;)
  26. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Active Member

Gosh, more chances to see Kozuka this year!! Also pleased to see Daisuke Murakami listed - any word on his recovery from the separated shoulder?
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  27. Quadloop

Quadloop Member

I heard Kozuka's injury was "right instep tenovaginitis". it took 1 month to fully and he couldn't wear boot for blinding pain at that time.
    so I hope his recovery is progressing nicely but I wonder he has enough time to prepare for first competition.
    needless to say, I think this is very good chance for him and I'm so glad to watch his performance in this season, again.

if that helps, he updated his blog on 4th Jun.
    he trained swimming as rehabilitation.

At the end, he wrote "I resolve on making utmost efforts and I want to celebrate with you all in Sochi":)
    http://www.t-kozuka.com/
  28. ks1227

ks1227 Well-Known Member

:swoon: :swoon:
  29. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

SO, wait , let me get this straight.... Miki IS skating next season and ISN'T retiring?!
  30. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

At any rate, that's what she announced in the press release following the termination of her contract with Toyota ;)
  31. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

where was something said about miki? have i overread anything?
  32. NMURA

NMURA Member

33. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Hmm, I seem to remember a story about Ando dating Nanri a few years ago that turned out to be false. Now that they're "getting married", maybe they actually went out on a real date :p?

eta: link to article scan. In case it's not ok to link to other forums, please feel free to remove.
  34. NMURA

NMURA Member

It says the news source is a sports writer. Ando and Nanri are friends since their junior days. Their families have known each other. Ando has visited Fukuoka where Nanri lives frequently and practiced together at the local rink. Ando is appearing numerous shows recently because of Nanri's offers.
  35. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

The source is a tabloid article, but it has Nikolai Morozov saying that Miki Ando wants him to be her coach again and that he does not exclude the possibility that he will indeed coach her again next year.

http://www.eg.ru/daily/sports/36130/
  36. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

37. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

If true just :duh:
  38. Jeschke

although it might be more gossip, but morozov now realizing that leonova will fall apart and he needs ando back, haha :D
  39. Jeschke

to be honest, she achieved great results under him, ok, we have no comparison of a grown ando and other coaches, but their 'sportive relationship' was quite succesful
  40. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

I really wish people would stop bringing dadygin as a source for any information. The guy should be employed by 'mills&boon' rather than a paper
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.