Japanese skater/skating news & updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zebobes

zebobes Active Member

So far as I remember, Kanako Murakami is the only skater I have seen so far to put all three jumping passes in the bonus section in the SP this season. I think it fits the program well though.
    Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

That principle is not evenly applied, even by the same judges (when the protocols don't juggle the judge columns from skater to skater) who might give equal GOE to a second jump in combo that has height, but drops to a stop, or a 4T combo, in which GOE appears to be based on the quality of the 4T, as long as the 3T or 2T is done competently, or, most obviously, the number of three-jump combos that get +GOE with little or no flow out of the last jump, let alone the last two, as long as they're landed in a straight-ish line.

It's always a risk that the judges will judge GOE like you describe, but there's no guarantee.
  3. chika3

chika3 New Member

4. chika3

chika3 New Member

5. ponta1

ponta1 New Member

6. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

Quick translation of the article:

On the 18th, the Japanese Skating Federation announced the dissolution of the partnership between Takahashi Narumi and Mervin Tran, who won the Pairs' bronze medal at the world championships

Both skaters intend to continue skating in competition and are said to be looking for new partners

Narumi Takahashi said "Recently, as we've differed in the way we think about competing, we've come to disagree with each other. We actively feel like continuing with the skating that we love, so we've decided to end our partnership

Narumi Takahashi, from Chiba prefecture, formed a partnership with Mervin Tran in 2007. At this year's World Championships, they won the first medal of a pair for Japan in any major championship

Looking towards the Sochi Olympics which will take place in 2014, the aim was that Mervin Tran would obtain the Japanese citizenship, but the fact that he hadn't had a track record of living in Japan made it very difficult

PS: I am at work and did this really fast so it's not the most accurate thing ever :p
  7. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

thanks for the infos and translation.

wow, didn´t see that coming (even if he couldn´t gain japanese citizenship before sochi).

i really liked their programs and am sad to hear this. now japan really has a problem for the team competition.
    maybe they sould take the 4th guy, didn´t qualify for olympics and turn him into a pair skater in few weeks ;)
  8. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

:eek::( Olympic is important and it is a very valuable experience for any athletes, but I hoped they figured it in a different way and continued their work. So shame:(
  9. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

^ This news is a real shame! :( :eek:
  10. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Active Member

Sad news, indeed! Thank you Rayhaneh for the translation :respec:
  11. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

:( :( Did not see that coming at all.
  12. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Ugh. Unbelievable.

I wonder if Tran will come back to Canada?
  13. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

It's possible there were real disagreements, but the skeptic in me has to wonder if it was really Narumi's decision or the JSF. If the latter, good luck finding a Japanese guy that will place her anywhere near so high in Sochi (especially given her jump inconsistency). Gutted. :(

What are the current rules regarding Tran representing Canada? Can he be eligible for Sochi if he sits this season out?
  14. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I guess it's good he didn't change citizenship.
  15. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

That is my first thought too. After realizing it would be impossible for Mervin to obtain a Japanese citizenship, JSF wants Narumi to find a Japanese partner. At least this way they will a have a pair at the Olympics, even if not a very good one. I am very sad, it was a beautiful team with some of my favorite programs.
  16. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I hope that they both find the partner best for them.
  17. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Thanks for the heads up. Since this is major news, a separate news/discussion thread has been started in GSD: Takahashi & Tran split

This news was posted in the Japan Nationals entries thread in Kiss and Cry yesterday:
  18. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

19. skatinginbc

skatinginbc New Member

20. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

The 4CC and World Teams have been announced and the JSF has decided to send exactly the same team of athletes to both events, namely:

Men: Yuzuru Hanyu, Daisuke Takahashi, Takahito Mura

Ladies: Mao Asada, Kanako Murakami, Akiko Suzuki

Dance: Reed/ Reed
  21. sleepypanda

sleepypanda New Member

Junior Worlds Assignments (for anyone who cares):
    Men: HINO Ryuju, TANAKA Keiji
    Ladies: MIYAHARA Satoko, HONGO Rika
  22. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

I can't believe Kozuka's season ends here. I loved both his programs, especially the SP, and he's been skating so well... It's unbelievably unfair.:(
    The Accordion, Maofan7, hanca and 3 others like this.
  23. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Congrats to Mura for his worlds debut but I cannot hide my broken hearted feeling for Kozuka:(
  24. floskate

floskate Vacant

Not just Kozuka but Oda. Both skaters are clearly top 10 in the world and they don't even get to go to that or 4CC's? I guess in another year it may have been different but with 4CC's in Japan the JSF will want their top 3 from both events headlining. So the chances of Takahashi or Hanyu pulling out of 4CC's and Kozuka or Oda getting the nod seem pretty slim.

:(
    hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  25. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

No Worlds for Taka? I'm heartbroken!
  26. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

The results here seem to indicate that the fall and grand prix skating season are either bang bang bang, one event fast on another's footsteps, forcing the skaters to peak week after week, or like US Nationals used to be when they had multiple ladies who were world medallists, there was intense pressure to make the world team.

Veterans such as Kozuka, Oda and Suzuki just looked tired.
  27. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Watching the LP videos, I can't deny Mura's performance. But gutted. No 4CC for Taka/Oda is really harsh when the field was this competitive. :( :wuzrobbed
  28. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies über

l'etoile and (deleted member) like this.
  29. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Thank you for the correction. I would certainly not wanna be one of JSF officials in this situation. Japan's men's field is sooooooooooo deep!
  30. Sylvia

31. tkaug

tkaug New Member

He got his right arch injured a week before the nationals.
    It is definitely because of the injury that he left out a 3Lo from his free program and put a 2A instead. This seems pretty serious so I think it was a right decision that he didn't make the World team this time.

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2012/12/22/kiji/K20121222004833740.html

As for Oda not making the 4CC team or the World team, perhaps the JSU was sending him a message.
  32. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

With 4CC being in Japan Yuzuru and Daisuke were locks but Im surprised they went with Mura again. I would have given that to 4th place Oda. Heartbroken for Kozuka but with a 5th place finish there's not much you can claim :( :(

As for Ladies, Akiko didnt make the podium so I was hoping 4CC would be given to Nishino .

An in dance , no matter they actually had a field this year (4 teams) they are only sending the Reed even when the 2nd and 3rd team have met the TES minimun internationally.

Damn this results and assignments are SOOOO frustrating.
  33. Jeschke

the other dance teams have the tes?
    didn´t know that. that is absolutely frustrating.
  34. Carina

Carina Member

Feel sad for Kozuka :-(((
  35. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

So am I.I hope he does not lose heart and comes back strong in Olympic year. It is hard to accept that a Worlds Silver medalist and a skater with one of the most gorgeous SS in the business has not made the Worlds team ( or 4CC team...)
  36. tkaug

tkaug New Member

37. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

With Hanyu, Takahashi, Kozuka, Machida, Mura and Oda all skating well at the GPs, I wish the Federation would at least spread the assignments around. Oda missing out on a 4CC spot after coming in 3rd in the free and narrowly missing the podium seems quite unfortunate. Hoping Kozuka a speedy recovery.
  38. Jeschke

39. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Deleted. Wrong link.
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  40. Sylvia

Here's Daisuke Takahashi's exhibition skate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVL900snjws

Other "Medalist on Ice" performances (so far):

Mao Asada: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucvuig-WS9s

Yuzuru Hanyu: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFKe8aliMmo

Kanako Murakami: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYJv6lB_Sgc

Akiko Suzuki: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7H6sqBu1ds

Takahito Mura: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfVLgLx2Y30

Finale: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkpgFscTIeQ

Lambiel was the invited guest performer.
    http://www.onice.jp/
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.