Japanese skater/skating news & updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

http://mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/sports/news/20110515p2g00m0sp005000c.html
    News from April: Japan Skating Federation announced the 2011/2012 Season Training Players of Japan (their funding envelope system)

2. NMURA

NMURA Member

http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/110507/spm1105070502000-n1.htm

Asada and Kozuka are going to train together with Nobuo Sato in the coming season. Asada hints to keep one of the programs. It's more likely to be the free (Liebestraume), according to another source.

http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/110514/spm1105142134000-n1.htm

The JSF is planning pair (and dance) tryout sessions in June. Since Takahashi/Tran can't participate the Olympics, they are urged to create a national pair team for the team event.

3. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

:cheer2:

Why can't they participate at the Olympics?

4. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Well, if Oda has to deal with an injury, I guess this is best time for it. Glad to hear he'll probably back 100% very soon.

5. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

Because Mervin Tran is Canadian and has no chance (or desire AFAIK) to become a Japanese citizen. AFAIK he would have to live there for 5 yrs for starters. And they train in Canada.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  6. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

7. miki88

miki88 New Member

It seems she is undecided as this point. I hope she has two new programs and by a different choreographer!

8. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Is there any truth to the rumor that Miki Ando is taking the '11 - '12 season off? It has been alluded to in other threads.

9. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Is there a news article in Japanese or English that confirms when Daisuke Takahashi is scheduled to have surgery to remove the screw from his knee? I've only come across a mention in this Universal Sports 4/30 blog after the Men's FS:

10. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

No official confirmation for that yet but I hear the same from sources close to her.

11. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

I hope she stays!:( I'm starting to enjoy her skating now and I think there's more potential in her than what she's done till now

12. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

But, it might be better for someone like her who has had serious injuries to do this, especially as she gets older [relatively speaking]

13. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I'm glad to see the JSF take such an active role in developing their pairs an dance program. Hopefully Takahashi/Tran's success will inspire skaters to compete in pairs.

14. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

It may not be a bad idea for Miki to take a season off. She has been competing for many years and if she wants to compete in 2014, she may want to avoid a burnout and/or injuries. She can come back fresh when she returns to competition.

BTW I am wondering what are the feelings in Japan about Mao's future? She is a gutsy lady, but how is her performance at the recent worlds being viewed? Do they still have faith that she will bounce back or do people think she may be on the way out? I hope she will bounce back. She is my most favorite lady skater in recent years (even though I like Yu na too).

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  15. miki88

miki88 New Member

Well, from post-worlds stuff I've seen, it still appears like Mao gets more coverage than Miki, so I'm guessing people there are understanding of her situation considering her rocky season. There were also several reports about her poor condition at Worlds citing considerable weight loss since the Earthquake. She did look very frail at Worlds.

16. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

I noticed how thin Mao looked at Worlds, too, and wondered if it was due to the stress of living and training in Japan after the earthquake. Does anyone have any links to interviews or information about Mao's training leading up to Worlds? Sorry if it's already been posted and I just missed it. . .

17. Montefalco

Montefalco New Member

Probably this week. It's not officially confirmed, though.

18. bibi24

bibi24 New Member

19. NMURA

NMURA Member

Dreams on Ice 2011
    June 24-26, Yokohama

Men
    Oda
    Hanyu
    Mura
    Tanaka
    Nakamura
    Kihara

Ladies
    Murakami
    Suzuki
    Suguri
    Imai
    Shoji
    Oba
    Nishino

Pairs

Dance

Guests
    Lambiel
    Volosozhar/Trankov
    Pechalat/Bourzat

Takashi had a bolt removing surgery. Kozuka and Asada are out due to IMG's marketing tactics (to raise the value of THE ICE). Ando is in Russia, not sure what Morozov is planning for the next season.

20. Eris

Eris New Member

No Takahashi/Tran and the Reeds? :(

upd. I opened the link.:D Yay, they're scheduled!

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  21. aemeraldrainc

aemeraldrainc Active Member

This.
    I really hope this season coming up is his season. He's running out of time. And he seems sooo sweet and down to earth.
    Anyone have any recent pics of him? Or his wedding maybe?

22. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

is akiko suzuki retiring?

we all know that suguri isn't ...:rollin:

23. midori

midori Well-Known Member

Why is she?

According to her blog, Akiko is now in US for choreographing and training.

24. skfan

skfan Member

camerlengo is doing her program? i'm just guessing, because didn't he do her tango short from last season?

i'd really like to see akiko have a great year :)

25. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to seeing Risa Shoji next season, she was such a lovely addition this season, her skating is so elegant and she definitely gives me Shizuka vibes. I think this girl could really go places if she survives puberty and works on consistently rotating her jumps, at 14 she has all the other bases covered already and the judges seem to like her skating too, judging from her PCS marks.

26. midori

midori Well-Known Member

Her Tango SP was by Kenji Miyamoto but her FS (Fiddler on the Roof) was done by Camerlengo. The fiddler program was very charming!

ITA!

27. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

akiko's fiddler on the roof programme was just wonderful. call me old school, but i just love the music / choreography / everything .... pls update us if you know what akiko's skating to next season!!!

also call me :EVILLE:, but i am not all that sure about murakami's potential. she has got good speed across the ice, but a few things will hurt her ... 1) really awful technique on the flip and 2) terrible flutz. plus, she can't rely on that "I'm so cute" look soon ..... :EVILLE:. The third spot on the world team (assuming Miki ando continues to compete) belongs to AKIKO. :rollin:

28. skfan

skfan Member

ah, thank you. she sure has great taste in music and choreography :)

i also don't want akiko to be overlooked in favor of the new generation--they aren't quite ready yet, presentation wise, IMO, though risa shoji is definitely one to watch.

tell you what, japan can have the non-nagasu worlds spot from the USA ;p

(just kidding, fellow americans, put down your pitchforks)

29. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Maybe Oda can go to math class whilst he is injured.

30. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Akiko is almost 27 now and is near the end of her career. It will be hard for her to hold off the younger Japanese girls.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.