Japanese qualification rules for worlds

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Jeschke, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

hi people,

i wondered, if somebody knows the exact qualification rules of the japanese figure skating federation for the world championships and the four continents?

last year, if i remember correctly, the lady at the grand prix final who ist best placed and on the podium gets a bye to the olympics. in that case this was miki ando, so her 4th place finish at nationals doesn´t hurt her.

so now, murakamis the best with a medal.
    that would be interresting, if the federation now hast to chose between ando, asada and suzuki?
    if so, i bet, suzuki will stay at home.

but does anybody know something?

2. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Highest placement at the GPF does not automatically qualify a japanese lady to worlds this season, so Murakami might still not make it to Tokyo. I think top 3 at nationals will go to worlds, but the Japanese fed. can pick any of the ladies really.

3. Jeschke

that´s nice to hear, so still 3 places open for ando. i can not imagine worlds in tokyo without asada or ando. i think both of them are on the track to worlds, if they deliver solid performances at nationals. i think it´s between suzuki and murakami for the third place, suguri and imai are out of any chances.

4. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

Are you sure? Tak told me the opposite - that the highest medalist from GPF would get sent to Worlds - which means Oda and Murakami are on the team. [Although he told me before the final results, so ....... ]

5. letsskate

letsskate New Member

I'm not sure about the qualification rules. But based on the season so far, Murakami, Suzuki and Ando deserve to go, regardless of the Japanese Nationals results IMO, but I think the japanese fed will send the top 3 finishers at Nationals, and Mao's score will be bumped up.

Oh the other hand, it'd be also stupid of the japanese fed to not send Murakami, she's their future star, and should get her worlds experience.

6. Jeschke

i agree, i would pick those three, too.
    but let´s wait for maos performance at nationals, but i expect the same: exploded component scores, not downgraded triple axels although obviously downgraded...let´s wait.

murakami could be dangereous. the japanese have to ensure their three starting places at worlds, murakami and suzuki may bomb.

7. Yukari Lepisto

Yukari Lepisto Active Member

You're right about waiting to see Mao's performance at Japanese Nationals.. but I also think that it should be the other three going to worlds, regardless of the nationals result.. and I don't think murakami will bomb, she's known for being very consistent, she didn't do well in the LP of NHK, but that's her first senior competition ever.. and after that, it's been very good.

8. bek

bek Guest

At this point I'd be trusting Murakami and Suzuki over Mao. Both have been fairly consistent this season. Please don't get me wrong if Asada skates well at Nationals, or is skating well by Four Continents I would want to send her. But clearly there are issues going on with Asada, and who knows if last years Mao will even be back.

I don't see why the Japanese federation has in that sense any real reason to hold up Asada. IF Mao places fourth at Japanese Nationals, I'd say that if Asada skates really well at Four Continents then I'd send her on account that she's reigning World Champ. But otherwise, NO.

9. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

This is correct, and it is why an announcement on rules is not being made.

10. Marroncream

Marroncream New Member

This is the Japanese figure skating federation's criteria for the selection of the skaters for the Worlds.
    http://www.skatingjapan.or.jp/image_data/fck/file/2010_Figure/2010-11 selection procedure.pdf

They will examine the following criteria comprehensively and select the skaters.
    1. The best 3 skaters of GPS, including GPF in the ranking
    2. The top 3 skaters at the National Championships.
    3. The best 3 skaters in World Standings as of the end of the nationals.

For the criteria #1, Kanako, Akiko and Miki are applied, and for #3 Akiko, Miki and Mao fit in among the ladies.

Sooo, I guess it depends on the nationals... and it's going to be nail biting...

11. luCN

luCN New Member

after watch COC and GPF,I hope suzuki and murakami can make the team with Mao.

Miki seemed had some problems,and....to say the truth,her programs for this seanson are really awful.....

suzuki and murakami are very lyrical and have the energy and speed at the same time.beside these ,their EX numbers are gorgeous and made all the audience crazy!

12. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Between how close the free skate scores are for 2nd to 5th place, how close the bronze medal fight is between the 3 Japanese ladies, and Murakami's generous PCS here against Suzuki being robbed blind again, it would be too hasty to name anyone onto the team just yet. I am very confused as to Suzuki's flutz call in the sp and lip call in the lp.

Ando continues to have problems with the flip but also continues to have strong free skates. So does Suzuki but it does not appear like the judges appreciate her all that much, especially compared to how they score Murakami.

I am pleasantly surprised for Murakami. I do hope her quick success so far this season does not hinder her motivation for improvements. She still has a long way to go.

If Mao delivers at Nationals, I think it can be a difficult decision as to who between these ladies to leave home for Worlds. I think leaving Ando home is even harder than leaving Mao home. The international judges are already loving Murakami more than Suzuki. If they decide to send Mao, I think Suzuki probably needs to outskate everyone else quite convincingly to be secure of the world team spot as they are likely to hold down her PCS or give her some <s.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  13. miki88

miki88 New Member

There's some inflation at Japanese Nationals, but Mao's Nat scores were never ridiculously inflated. Last year, she was basically marked the same way as she was later at worlds in terms of downgrades. She has gotten good scores at Nats because she usually delivers at this competition.

14. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

Suzuki is perpetually the underdog. I have no idea why, her jumps are pretty big, her spins are at least decent (she can get the levels pretty consistently unlike Miki), footwork great, skates fast, performs well, one of the few ladies who actually listen to the music...when will judges ever pay attention to her? :mad:

15. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

Taking the place of Yukari Nakano, who I always thought was better than the marks she got - and who I still believe should have been sent to Torino Olympics instead of Miki.

16. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

^True, really.

Suzuki is the most likely to stay at home IMO.

17. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

This is true, unfortunately. :wuzrobbed I'm not liking the way the judges are favouring Kanako and leaving Akiko behind.

18. kirkyo

kirkyo New Member

Miki's SP (The Mission) is complete crap, but I think the GPF performance was an off day. She's jumping better than anyone else right now. After the LP, which was impressive, I can't recall seeing her that happy since maybe she won worlds.

This is going to be heartbreaking for someone (and their fans). All four are more than deserving.

19. missing

missing Well-Known Member

If I could change one rule in skating, I'd give an automatic bye to the reigning world champion in each discipline, and then let their country send the number of skaters that they qualify for.

Thus, Mao would get a bye to Worlds (as would Takahashi, etc.), and Japan could send another three women.

This is the kind of rule change that hurts pretty much no one, and rewards countries with strong programs, as well as skaters who were excellent enough to win a world championship.

mag and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Kitty Hu

Kitty Hu New Member

that' true,although Oda and murakami have take part in the press conference pre-worlds 2011 yesterday's afternoon, but that dosen't mean they have got the tickets. the highest placement in GPF only make them the candidates for the worlds. and some japanese reporters told me that the lost one will be sent to asian winter game~:eek:

21. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

Rather than this, I'd prefer if the medalists [or the gold medalists] from 4CC and Euros get a bye to Worlds [in addition to whatever number of places that skater's country would get]. This would help skaters from countries with deep fields, and it would also help 4CC attract quality skaters for the competition. Too often outside of Olympic years, it's the B team we see there.

22. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

I like it, though I'd give automatic buys to all the medalists at worlds. Also, just so we're really hurting noone, those 3 spots in each discipline should not affect the number of entries that qualify for the FS. So there should be an extra 3 spots that qualify to the FS in each discipline

I think if anything, the Olympic years are when the field at 4CC is the weakest. Looking at the 2008 and 2009 4CC entries, it was like a mini-worlds!

23. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

So far I can only think of 3 Japanese ladies who have shown they deserve to be sent to Worlds with their skating this season.

Please just let Nationals be the decider and leave politics and endorsements out of it. :soapbox:

24. Jeschke

to be honest, even haruka imai was more impressive this season than mao.
    can´t wait for nationals ...

25. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

If by some miracle Mao does not make the World team, she really should keep both programs from this season.

26. yukster

yukster New Member

yeah, especially the LP... I love the program even without the jumps.
    Even when she bombs, I can see her trying not to give up performing completely this season.
    It's a shame if we can't get to see the program fulfilled its potential...:(

Sorry for OT, I'm soo looking forward to the nationals!!! :)

27. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

If I were the Japanese:

MEN: Oda, Takahashi, Kozuka (ok, this one's a no duh)
    LADIES: Asada, Ando, Murakami (I adore Akiko and I would LOVE to see her in Tokyo, but I think the JSF would send Asada, the reining world champ)

Again, these aren't really my choices, but I see the Japanese Fed going this way...

28. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

I dunno - I'd have to think Akiko Suzuki must win Japanese Nationals to get a spot.

a skate off at 4CC might happen this year, just as it was done in 2005.

29. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I mean, to me, it's obvious: 3 skaters qualify for the final, those three should go to Worlds. But Mao is an Olympic/World medalist, and even though she bombed the GP, she's probably the most famous female skater in Japan atm, so that could help her chances.

30. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I think it works the other way round. If they don't want her at Worlds they will make sure she doesn't win or place high enough at Nationals. One downgrade will do. The same happened at 2009 Nationals.