Japanese Men Olympic Team

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by icellist, Nov 27, 2013.

?

Pick 3 Japanese Men to make it to the Olympic Team

Poll closed Dec 24, 2013.
  1. Yuzuru Hanyu

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  2. Tatsuki Machida

14 vote(s)
    53.8%
  3. Nobunari Oda

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  4. Daisuke Takahashi

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. icellist

icellist New Member

For this season at least, Takahiko Kozuka and Takahito Mura seem like non-factors. Both are young enough to stay for the next quadrennial.

Yuzuru Hanyu
    - Current Japanese Champion
    Tatsuki Machida
    - Highest GP ranking of the Japanese men this season
    Nobunari Oda
    - Rebound for his final season
    Daisuke Takahashi
    - Current Olympic Bronze Medalist

Pick the 3 you want to make it on the team.
  2. skatingguy

skatingguy Active Member

I could only vote for one person - may be a problem with the poll.
  3. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

It seems the OP may have forgotten to pick the multiple choices option while posting the poll. I have made this mistake a few times in the past.
  4. icellist

icellist New Member

Could a moderator help with this issue?
  5. Li'Kitsu

Li'Kitsu Member

If you already consider Kozuka and Mura non-factors, might aswell say that Hanyu and Takahashi are locks. It's between Machida and Oda for the 3rd spot, with Machida having the upper hand now since he's younger and made it to the GPF. We'll have to wait though if he'll keep his form this season or have the same problems he had last season.
  6. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I am not 100% sure about Takahashi. If either Tak or Machida has a meltdown at the GPF & at the Japanese nationals, Oda could sneak in.
  7. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I'm not giving up on Oda. He's been skating really well, but not yet peaking. I'm thinking (hoping) he'll be at his very best for Japanese Nats and beyond.

While Japan has as many as 6 guys who could (should) be at the Olympics, each one of them is also vulnerable in some way. Hanyu is so talented, but there's a kind of sloppiness about his body carraige and presentation. Dai is such an artist, but he really needs to hit his jumps, which can be hit or miss with him. Oda has the best jump technique of anyone, so I think it boils down to his PCS and keeping his head together. Machida has been on a roll this season. Love his artistry, but there's something a little off about his technique (IMO), with scratchy landings, etc. Feeling sorry for Kozuka, as he's such a sentimental favorite. Maybe he'll surprise everyone at Nationals and skate well. Mura is a fine skater, but I think he's out of the picture at this point, with not so great programs this season.

Japanese Nationals will be a nailbiter, that's for sure!
  8. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I think if the 3 Japanese men fare well at the GPF, say finishing 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, and skating reasonably well, they will be the team, even if Oda beats someone at Nationals. Oda would need to be atleast 2nd and possibly 1st at Nationals to make the team in that case.
  9. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I agree. GPF will be very telling, I think. If one of them implodes and does not place well, it could be detrimental for them. Han Yan could be a darkhorse at the GPF. If Kovtun hits everything he could also be a spoiler. I'm even wondering if one of the Japanese men might back out. Who knows?
  10. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I agree with all that. I think though the JSF will be expecting their 3 men to all beat Yan and Kovtun. I dont think they will be expecting any of them to beat Chan, and it will just be a bonus if one does. So if any of them finishes behind Yan or/and Kovtun, it will already open the door for Oda going into Nationals, to possibly make it by just placing top 3, rather than having to do more. It will also depend on the scores and performances though.
  11. NMURA

NMURA Member

Well, the JSF is seriously expecting one of Japanese men to beat Chan. Considering Chan's poor records in Japan, and obvious home advantages in Japan, I think the chance is better than 70%.
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  12. jettasian

jettasian New Member

IMHO, Hanyu and Dai are guaranteed to go to Sochi regardless how they will perform at National. The rest are fighting for one spot. I just can't imagine Japan won't send those two because they have better chance to win than the others.
  13. Li'Kitsu

Li'Kitsu Member

Since NHK, I'd be suprised if the JSF leaves him off the team even if he bombs nats. With 3 spots, you can risk an inconsistent but potentially brilliant skater over a more consistent, but not as good one.

Odaddy has any chance now to make up ground to Machida though, since he replaced Takahashi in the GPF...