Japanese Ladies for Sochi

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by love_skate2011, Mar 17, 2013.

?

Who will make the team

1. Miki Ando

21 vote(s)
    28.0%
  2. Akiko Suzuki

45 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. Kanako Murakami

69 vote(s)
    92.0%
  4. Satoko Miyahara

8 vote(s)
    10.7%
  5. Mao Asada

74 vote(s)
    98.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

3 Spots for Sochi Olympics !!
  2. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Asada and Murakami are locks IMO. Suzuki will get the 3rd spot if she skates well at Nationals but if she doesnt the JSF will have no qualms about dumping her off the team in favor of anyone who skates better there. Ando will not make the team even if she comes back (which she wont). Imai could be a spoiler perhaps, and some other youngsters.
  3. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Is Ando in training in case she wants to stage an Olympic bid? Or is she just doing shows and without a real coach? What's the latest?
  4. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I really hope Suzuki will be in, and with another fabulous LP, as she has this season.
    For the 2 other spots : Asada, and probably Murakami.
  5. love_skate2011

I forgot to put Haruka again on the poll :wall:
  6. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Is Miyahara age-eligible for Sochi?
  7. love_skate2011

Yes she is
  8. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Please let it be Asada, Suzuki and Murakami.
  9. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

I wish Shizuka would make a come back..
  10. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Japanese Ladies are going to have a hard time post Sochi. True Murakami is getting better but after that they have no real upcoming stars to replace Mao, Suzuki and Ando. That's a lot of talent to replace.
  11. Andofanatic

Andofanatic Member

Ando is a lock obviously. Asada is almost one. The other spot is a toss up between all the others. Murakami is no lock just because she had a fluke ok Worlds and still didnt medal.
  12. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I wish Midori would make a comeback. :lol:
  13. Andofanatic

Andofanatic Member

Midori at this stage would be lucky to do a triple toe. She wouldnt be competitive.
  14. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

I just want Akiko on there. She practiced and warmed up well at worlds, she just had a really bad outing. Hoping she's not kicked to the curb next year, she's the gem of the Japanese team in my opinion. Just in terms of love of skating, performance ability, and soul.

Oh and if Miyahara is on the team I'm officially done with figure skating :p. She is not olympic caliber and she does not rotate many of her triples.
  15. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

you guys are forgetting someone.

Fumie Suguri:D
  16. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

I rather think it was a joke.
  17. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

but Shizuka would be competitive, I think.
  18. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

how old is she? her Ina Bauer is still the best and her skating skills are on Kostner/Kim's territory...but she never strived me as someone who enjoyed competitive skating very much
  19. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

I think she is 31yo. She has improved so much artistically since turning pro. Yeah that was the thing, Shizuka never enjoyed competing.
  20. judgejudy27

26% vote for Ando? Is that some joke. Ando isnt even 26% likely to return, more like 10% at best (even if she were 100% certain to make the team if she returns which she wouldnt be).
  21. ltnskater

ltnskater New Member

Mao is pretty much the only lock. Ando is very close to a lock IF she comes back in the same form or very close to it when she left. Suzuki and Murakami both are up in the air, and it will depend on the season and nationals if Ando is in the running, if not, it will be those two that will go with Mao. That being said, if Ando skips the GP, and finishes off the podium behind both Suzuki & Murakami, she also will not be going.

Mao is the only one who does not need to finish on the podium at nationals to go barring a GP disaster, but even in that scenario.... :S hard to say.

Although come on people, the realistic podium at japanese nationals is probably going to be: 1st - Fumie Suguri, 2nd - Mao Asada, 3rd - Miki Ando. Then I'd be REALLY interested to see who they send, lol.
  22. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Mao, Kanako and Akiko, in that order, since Miki won't be back.
  23. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

Does anyone actually know what Miki is up to or what her plans are? Or is it all merely speculation? And did she get married or not?

:yikes: For the love of god, no! My nerves couldn't handle it :rofl: Besides she's got the two golds everyone wants. As many pointed out, she hated competing so once she won the OGM after worlds, she ran. Thankfully she's retained many of her skills, but... just no :lol: :scream:
  24. Roxanne

Roxanne New Member

Last I heard, Miki does still want to come back if she can find a coach. If she comes back, I'm worried about Akiko not making the Olympic team. :(
  25. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

I hope Akiko brings her A-game

For me, she's the first person since Michelle to convey such unabashed joy with her skating
    I love her <3
  26. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I think Akiko in 2014 will be an important role model too for showing that the older, more artistically developed skaters are not physically "too old" for this system.
  27. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

how is Ando a lock and Asada almost one?
  28. judgejudy27

Well even if Miki came back and in good shape, I dont think the JSF would even care which of her or Suzuki made the Olympic team, or whether someone else did. Mao is clearly their number 1 and biggest hope for Sochi now, while Murakami is clearly now their biggest hope for the 2015-2018 quad and their current number 2, who as 4th place finisher at the Worlds could medal in Sochi if she has a great event and someone bombs of the big 3. Which old veteran goes along for the ride wouldnt really matter, so it would simply come down to who skates best at Nationals which is pretty much a crapshoot. Miki is a 2 time World Champion but has never been close to an Olympic medal, and she isnt a real medal contender for Sochi either, while sadly Suzuki is no longer an Olympic medal contender of any sort after this season probably. Suzuki should outskate someone who is almost as old as her and has barely skated for almost 3 years, but then again she had a meltdown at Nationals this year and seems to be losing her consistency. I actually think the JSF would rather see another younger skater get the sport over both of them, and so wont be holding either up at Nationals.