Japanese Figure Skating news - After Sochi

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by DaiKozOda, Feb 27, 2014.

1. NMURA

NMURA Member

2. sandra_persch

sandra_persch Well-Known Member

Oops I must have missed that one. somehome I thought it was Rika Hongo they had given NHK trophy too.

3. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

Japan Open http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/japanopen2014/index.html#menu

Date: October 4th 13:00-(Japan Time)
    Venue: Saitama Super Arena
    Skaters:
    Japan: TBA 4 (2 men, 2 ladies)
    North America: Ashley Wagner, Patrick Chan, Jeffrey Buttle, TBA 1
    Europe: Javier Fernandez, TBA 3
    Guest skater: Evgeni Plushenko

Carnival on Ice http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/coi2014/index.html#menu

Date: October 4th 19:00-(Japan Time)
    Venue: Saitama Super Arena
    Cast: Evgeni Plushenko, Ashley Wagner, Patrick Chan, Jeffrey Buttle, Javier Fernandez

Rpg and alilou like this.
  4. rosewood

2014-2015 National Competitions http://www.jsfresults.com/

(Date, Place, Competition)
    Sep. 25-28, 2014, Nagano, Kanto Regional
    Sep. 25-28, 2014, Okayama, Chu-Shikoku-Kyushu Regional
    Oct. 2-5, 2014, Hokkaido, Tohoku-Hokkaido Regional
    Oct. 2-5, 2014, Aichi, Chubu Regional
    Oct. 10-13, 2014, Tokyo, Tokyo Regional
    Oct. 10-13, 2014, Osaka, Kinki Regional
    Oct. 25-28, 2014, Osaka, National Novice
    Oct. 31 - Nov. 3, 2014, Chiba , Eastern Section (Senior and Junior)
    Oct. 31 - Nov. 3, 2014, Fukuoka, Western Section (Senior and Junior)
    Nov. 22-24, 2014, Niigata, National Junior
    Dec. 25-29, 2014, Nagano, Nationals
    Feb. 28 - Mar. 1, 2015, Shiga , National Synchronized

5. rosewood

It's sorta big issue in Japan in this couple of days.
    Politician, JOC official denies harassing 2010 medalist Takahashi
    'Sex harassment' scandal rocks skating in Japan

I saw photos which was published on the magazine. I think it's definitely a sex/power harassment. Why it's published now? I assume it's mainly because Hashimoto is one of the candidates for a minister(Prime minister Abe is supposed to refresh his cabinet before long.) Pity Daisuke. He was harassed in Sochi and is also involved in a political power game now. :wall:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  6. Meoima

Meoima Well-Known Member

I hope bad things will go away soon. Poor Daisuke. :wall:

orientalplane likes this.
  7. Pattina

Pattina Member

Thanks, rosewood. Yes, just a dirty foul political play in which Dai has been involved without reason.
    Tomorrow Friends On Ice starts and Dai will enjoy his last seasonal show and then he will make DORON. We will miss him so much!!

On a lighter note: Dai accepted ALS Ice Bucklet Challenge!! and returned on instagram at last!!

http://instagram.com/p/r8OHBQrJ-j/?modal=true

rosewood and alilou like this.
  8. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

I think Shizuka is my favorite Olympic champ post-win ever. She's done nothing but impress me since she won in 06, and she looks so radiant and beautiful in that dress. :) Happy for her.

satine94 likes this.
  9. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  10. Pattina

Pattina Member

11. mathil

mathil Active Member

Article on Hanyu that has been circulating on the web today on various media outlets (Yahoo etc.)
    Yuzuru Hanyu says his successes were no coincidence

Yuzuru's quotes were somewhat mistranslated -- he just said that he's going to do his best so that people don't think that his results this past season were due to chance.
    Japan Times's translation is more accurate: here

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
    rosewood likes this.
  12. Meoima

Meoima Well-Known Member

You meant the comment under the article?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  13. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

14. mathil

mathil Active Member

I was referring to his quotes as reported by the Japanese media.

@Sylvia, thank you :encore:

15. Meoima

Meoima Well-Known Member

Hi Sylvia, Japan Time used the same translation as Yahoo and Fskating. Someone use the same comment below these articles:

16. rosewood

I agree with you about the meaning of what he said. But one thing, the article is Kyodo's which Japan Times bought. Sorry for nitpicking but I noticed it since I usually read JT's articles carefully since they are sometimes misleading. IMO

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
    mathil and gotoschool like this.
  17. gotoschool

gotoschool Active Member

I don't know about articles concerning Yuzuru, but by chance, I have come across articles written by Jack Gallagher about Mao in the Japan Times. In my opinion, they have been critical and even dismissive of Mao's achievements, especially during and since Sochi. I personally would not trust this paper, and especially this journalist, to publish or express what is in her best interests, as a matter of fact quite the opposite.

18. Meoima

Meoima Well-Known Member

Japan Times is very misleading. I don't know why but they seem to somewhat dislike Japanese skaters to some extent. Of course they don't show their dislikeness towards them so obviously but...welll...

gotoschool likes this.
  19. mathil

mathil Active Member

Thank you for telling me, rosewood :) I didn't notice! I tried to search for the original article but unfortunately it seems that to access it, you need a subscription to Kyodo News' website.

I think any 'like' or 'dislike' comment should be forwarded to Jack Gallagher, who runs the Ice Time column for the newspaper. His column, his opinions. I have read him many times in the past and I don't find him to be particularly against Japanese figure skaters as a whole -- he has been very critical of Mao in the past, though.

20. Meoima

Meoima Well-Known Member

Critical is alright as long as it's fair, but twisting people words' is another story, though. Maybe it's simply mistranslation.

21. mathil

mathil Active Member

:huh: As I wrote two posts above, Hanyu's quotes as reported by Japan Times have been correctly translated. Unless you are referring to Mao, and in that case I have absolutely no idea of what you are talking about.

22. rosewood

Yesterday I saw a preview show of today's live TV show on wich Hanyu skates for the victims of the great earth quakes and tsunami. He's going to skate in Ishinomaki for the first time after the disaster. Ishinomaki is one of the cities destroyed by the earth quakes and tsunami.

In the preview show Hanyu was invited to an elementary school in Sendai by the teachers. Those teachers voluntarily worked at the school to support the victims who stayed at the school's gym for a while, even though those teachers were also victims of the disaster. Hanyu was one of the victims who stayed at the gym since his house was broken and unable to live in. I came across a youtube video of the preview show ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnJWAVGQDcI). Hanyu said that he fell asleep looking at the ceiling of the gym thinking "What will happen to this country from now?" or "Will we be able to go
    back to the same life as we were?" (From 1:40)"I took the photo of inside of the gym in this way", he showed the photo. About 450 pople were staying at the gym.

The reason why the teachers invited him to the gym again (in May) was Hanyu's words in the press conference just after winning gold medal in Sochi. He was askted by one of the media people about the meaning of his OGM for the victims in his home town. Hanyu couldn't answer to the question soon, and then said "ummm it's a very difficult question to answer." He said he had strong feeling of powerlessness. Teachers saw the conference on TV and wanted to encourage him.(From 8:45) "Gold or not. Or even medaled or not. It was not important for us. We were just glad to see a skater who stayed at our gym doing his best out there. It was touchig and encouraging," said one of the teachers(the principal of the school.) (From 9:38) "I'm very happy to see they were very glad," said Hanyu, "I've had something heavy in my mind but it was taken away by the teacher's words. It was not just OGM (but my good skating which made them happy.) I have a feeling that I can look forward from now." (my note: Sorry but quates in this paragraph are not the exact translations but rough summaries)

It was a very good preview show so I'm looking forward to seeing the live charity show(on Nihon TV) which is starting in ten minutets. ;)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  23. rosewood

As long as I saw the early stage of the season, I picked Wakaba Higuchi and Shoma Uno as the promising skaters to watch in this season.

Wakaba Higuchi (13 yo) skated in her first JGP this weekend. She placed the second overall in Czech. I love her speed, flow, attack and spark.(IIRC she has 3Lz-3T, 3F-3T, 3T-3T in her arsenal)

SP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiG4-HdJSt8
    LP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcJzQoFXZVI

She skated in Asian Open last month. She won in the junior field. Shame there aren't fan cams of her programs on youtube. Seeing the protocols, she's not consistent on her 3-3s yet.(She underrotates or doubles but doesn't fall .) http://www.figureskating.com.tw/2014AsianOpen/

Shoma Uno(16 yo) skated in Asian Open last month and won in the senior field. He's recently landing 4Ts(not consistent yet). If it goes well, I think it can push him up to a serious contender in some of the competitions. He landed a 4T and got +1.67 GOE in Asian Open. He's still struggling on 3As, though. I love his programs for this season.

SP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYS4c8kLHzQ
    LP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siE4NAYcr_I

The ex version of his LP in THE ICE. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J_a2sImQcE=

Shoma lands a nice 4T in this video of the junior team Japan summer camp. He might be better on 4Ts than on 3As like Lambiel etc. He's scheduled to the JGP held in Nagoya(his home town) next week. https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22eit5_ドデスカ-全日本強化合宿_sport

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
    mathil likes this.
  24. gotoschool

gotoschool Active Member

After having rough SPs, it's wonderful to see two great clean skates and such a heated competition for first this time between Wakaba and Evgenia , both of whom I like better than Serafimah. I'm really impressed with Wakaba coming back from 5th to win the freeskate and get the silver. She has heart and guts. What a fighter just like Mao! She has incredibly beautiful and powerful jumps with great height, wonderfully tight symmetrical spirals and smooth movement on entrance and exit, and the best skating skills I have seen so far this Junior Grand Prix Season. She's also fluid, fast and energetic. Her arm movements are not that elegant but they are quite expressive and her spins are not that flexible but her edges and speed are great. As enzet from golden skate said you are too busy focusing on her other positive qualities, so you don't really notice it. I could hear her deep edges really carving sharp into the ice. Now, if she can just nail the triple axel, get a few ballet extensions and some more intricate steps, the sky will be the limit. She's only 13, so she has a plenty of time to do it!!!

Her tech score (67) was almost as high as Serafima's last week (68) who is about a year older. One thing that helped Wakaba win the freeskate was that she had 2 points more in base tech score, 59 to 57 and 4 jumps with over 1 GOE compared to only 2 for Evgenia and Evgenia lost 2.4 points on the base value of her lutz, while Wakaba's was clean. Evgenia made a little bit back on the spins and PCS which helped her win overall, but not enough for the freeskate To give credit where it is due, I really liked Evgenia's interpretation, elegance and spins.

Here is a wonderful post from enzet, who actually attended the competition, about Wakaba Higuchi's performance at Ostrava Cup.
    dhttp://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?51840-2014-JGP-Ostrava-Czech-Skate-Ladies-Free-Skate&p=979833#post979833

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
    DORISPULASKI likes this.
  25. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

NMURA recently posted some local JPN competition news in the other GSD thread for the 2014-15 season, including the local comp. in which Wakaba Higuchi competed before her JGP debut in Ostrava: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...l-team-news-updates.92535/page-2#post-4313728

I also had posted a summary of Team Japan results/some video links from the first JGP in Courchevel, France there and have since added results & some video links from the 2nd JGP in Slovenia. We should probably just use this one thread from now on.

Here is Riona Kato competition info from the recent Golden West club comp. in Ontario, California, as originally posted in the GW thread in the Kiss and Cry forum:
    Kato finished second overall at Golden West (to Karen Chen) with a total score of 152.80. She scored 104.14 in her FS (a modern piano concerto?) – jumps: 3F, 3S, 2A, 3T, 3S-half loop-2S, 2A+2T, 3T+2T. Her TES was 56.63, PCS 47.51.

Daisuke Murakami WD from Golden West; both he and Kato are scheduled to compete in the Salt Lake City Senior B in the coming week.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  26. inskate

inskate Active Member

Her 3Lz-3T seems solid, it's 3F-3T that gives her trouble (probably because she's in the proces of fixing her Flip). She'd probably be better off going for 3Lz-3T and 3F as a solo jump, but this year 3Lz is required as the solo jump in the juniors.

I love her edges, the speed in her layback and the height on her jumps. :)

rosewood likes this.
  27. rosewood

I agree with you. And it makes her look more promising in the next season since she'll do 3Lz-3T and a solo 3F in SP. My best wishes for her. Apart from combos, I heard she wants to do 3As in the future. I'm not too optimistic about 3As, though.

28. NMURA

NMURA Member

Higuchi has both height of jumps and rotation speed. Also her body lines are similar to Midori Ito. Stamina is OK. She doesn't need to worry about the junior worlds spot but has apparent pressures from younger rivals (Aoki and Honda). I'm optimistic about the 3A challenge.

29. Meoima

Meoima Well-Known Member

I believe she can pull off an 3A if she trains wisely.

30. rosewood

Entries to Regionals were out as of September 7th and 8th. (sorry in Japanese) http://www.jsfresults.com/
    The dates of Regionals are on my post above.(#154):

Certificated skaters as strengthening athletes who entered to Regionals:
    Hiroaki Sato(Tohoku-Hokkaido), Daisuke Murakami(Tokyo), Hidetsugu Kamata(Toyo), Kento Kajita(Tokyo), Yuka Nagai(Tokyo), Miyabi Oba(Chubu), Yura Matsuda(Chubu), Yuhana Yokoi(Chubu), Riona Kato(Kinki), Taichi Honda(Kinki), Kazuki Tomono(Kinki), Yu Nakamura(Kinki), Mai Mihara(Kinki), Kaori Sakamoto(Kinki), Marin Honda(Kinki, Novice), Yoji Tsuboi(ChuShikoku-Kyushu), Keiji Tanaka(Chushikoku-Kyushu), Miyu Nakashio(ChuShikoku-Kyushu),

Skaters to watch, who are not on Team Japan:
    Yukiko Fujisawa(Tokyo), Shoko Ishikawa(Tokyo), Risa Shoji(Tokyo), Yuki Nishino(Tokyo), Fumie Suguri(Tokyo), Yuna Aoki(Tokyo, Novice) Miu Sato(Chubu), Yuna(or Yuuna?) Shiraiwa(Kinki, Novice), Miyu Honda(Kinki, Novice)