Japan Open 2013

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by morqet, Jun 19, 2013.

1. ostile17

ostile17 Well-Known Member

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  2. nashvilledancer

nashvilledancer New Member

I think they need one segment of the familiar music--a beautiful melody--to contrast with the interesting, dramatic, and dissonant rest of the Prokofiev cuts. Ending with dissonance/death is good, but some straight romance in the middle.

3. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I"m glad someone else feels the same as I. Both programs seem rather bare compared even to some I saw at Finlandia this week-end. Ashley's jumps seem badly placed in the choreography . Who choreographed this? I hope these were just bare bone versions of their programs.

4. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Why only "this" competition? It's been the story of his life in just about every competition.

On the contrary: PCS scoring is too consistent, since the vast majority of the other component scores are anchored to Skating Skills. Even Buttle raves about Chan's skating skills -- not just the efficiency of the blade, speed, and power, but all of the bullet points in the SS description -- and has said they're superior. That explains why Chan's PCS are higher than Buttle's, why Chan gets a PCS lift across the board, and why great interpretations and choreography are held down to the SS mark.

spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  5. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  6. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

7. jlai

jlai Title-less

I think skaters are supposed to emote ala Liza or project like Joubert to get good pcs, or they can have ss one notch above everyone like Chan. Or else your PCS is stuck in the middle of the road.

Which isn't fair. Good emoting doesn't mean good ss and transitions

8. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Because some people love beating dead horses in irrelevant threads.;)

Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  9. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I don't know what to think about Ashley's program. On one hand, I'm glad she landed her jumps and went for the 3-3. On the other hand, on first viewing, I hate how the music is put together. It just seems random and loud and doesn't go anywhere. I usually like rarely used parts of familiar pieces, but this is :yikes: to me.

10. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I agree. I've rewatched Ashley's LP a few times, and I think I understand it and like it more every time I watch it. And I love the inner drama. But one familiar cut/ lyrical cut might be welcome. Ashley actually has it in the middle- and it works better on rewatching. I cannot believe I advocate more conformity, but some lyrical music in the middle can break up the turmoil and frame it better, so it is actually more effective.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  11. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

:p

12. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Javier :swoon: What a fabulous program!

13. rosewood

rosewood Wheeee! Wonder babies!

Tatsuki Machida skated his short program to "East of Eden" at Carnival on Ice(the gala show of JO). Oh my..this is one of the most favorite Olympic programs in this season, which I've seen so far. Love his artistry!

many thanks to the youtube user
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDLnhwh9Rl8

I posted the translation of Machida's interviews at Kinki Regionals in the thread of Japanese skaters. He talked a bit of his "East of Eden".
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...-amp-updates&p=4005656&viewfull=1#post4005656

14. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

Thanks! I am going to look for his Beatles program as I think I've only seen a bit of practice.
    I really like his skating, but I hope that someone takes care to see that he does not get into the arm flailing territory like we have seen in some other men and ladies programs.

15. t.mann

t.mann New Member

I don't understand Lori's music editing for Dai's LP.
    I have expected Dai's Beatles such as Abbott's 'a day in the life' SP feel.
    Is Lori too focused on Caro & D10?

16. arcuel

arcuel New Member

I love it! It would be nice if Team Japan swept the podium at Skate America again.

17. bek

bek Guest

I haven't seen the skates. But I don't agree with it, when its Dai either.

18. stevlin

stevlin Member

Thanks Seabm7 for the Jeff Buttle video. He made some mistakes but I still feel his artistry is amazing. When Jeff skates, my eyes are just glued to him.

19. ponta1

ponta1 Active Member

That was absolutely gorgeous!! I think this is my favorite SP thus far as well!

20. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

I love Machida

21. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Machida is lovely and I really enjoyed his version of East of Eden. Enjoyed it when Kwan used it and also Machida's version as well.

22. casken

casken Well-Known Member

OMG can we please just give Japan six slots for men at the Olympics already? They are all too good to be left home! :respec::kickass:

23. pat decaro

pat decaro New Member

Yes, let's all write a petition to IOC. Give Japan six spots! :D

24. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Thanks, rosewood, have to check this out, as I love Michelle's version (of course) and Rachael's (ditto). :)

I agree, t.mann. :(

I suppose it was because Jeremy Abbott's was such a true masterpiece that I was expecting something similar from Daisuke, another artist on ice, therefore I was a tad disappointed by his Beatles program. :( However, I am confident that Daisuke can make something out of anything!, so am not too worried. :)

25. Celeste

Celeste New Member

Daisuke's interview just released today http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpjk...ew-vl&list=PLXpyLYDvslxAGf6yQs0usGIpfPRmhr4LV

Where he explains of his new Free Program saying that at the 4th song out of Beatles Medley, i.e. In My Life, he is figuring a shape "S" in his footwork and do create a heart shape with his arms; and when Lori did this choreography she asked him to thank for his skating life, thank for the history of skating, and thank for the audience when he skates.

When Daisuke was explaining this, he was almost in tear. What a program, thank Lori !!

26. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

There is something about EOE that immediately grabs you, and when it is skated to well it is overwhelming .

27. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Are the protocols available yet? Ashley's score (119) is not that much higher than Mirai's at Finlandia (110), so I wonder if she had a few ur's too. She has her work cut out for her imo.

28. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

29. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Here you go:

Credit goes to rosewood from post #83 of this thread:

30. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I have no doubt that AW will correct the UR issues at least on the 3loop. Her 3f-3t was better than I expected but most importantly, she was so happy after the LP. Big psychological barrier overcome with landing a reasonably good 3-3 IMO