Japan Open 2013

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by morqet, Jun 19, 2013.

1. rosewood

rosewood Wheeee! Wonder babies!

Just for the information, Mao's costume is not a "peacock” style. :glamor:

From her interview after finishing JO in Sportsnavi.
    http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/sports/figureskate/all/1213/columndtl/201310050004-spnavi

my translation from Japanese
    As you know Rachmaninov suffered from his mental disease and dedicated this Piano Concerto to the doctor who was supportive for him. He overcame his condition with the doctor's help. So he felt so thankful to him.

Mao said in her interview that she expresses her whole life in her FS to Rach 2. She struggled with her reworking of her jumping techniques and her mom's passing away as well. Now she is coming back to her top level with more matured expressive moves. She overcame her discourages and her inner power is coming out from her body again. Supposedely TT wanted to express the deep side of the music with the costume. Not a peacock. ;)

I suppose she chose this music to show she is ok and enjoying skating again to everyone who has been anxious about her, and say thank you and good-bye. Her ex program "Smile/What a wonderful world" include the same intention as well.

Just for notice, TV Tokyo airs the gala show "Carnival on Ice" in almost 5 and a half hours. :rollin:
    http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/coi2013/info.html#cast

The cast of Carnival on Ice according to the official site, linked above.

All of the skaters participated in Japan Open.

and
    Takeshi Honda
    Shizuka Arakawa
    Nobunari Oda
    Tatsuki Machida
    Satoko Miyahara
    Ryuju Hino

...I heard Mao skated her short program "Nocturn".
    Can't wait to see their performances.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  2. stevlin

stevlin Member

Hi all, I've tried to find Jeffrey Buttle's skate [Japan Open]. Can someone send me the video? I just love Jeffrey's style of skating, so elegant. Thank you.

3. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

http://t.co/VxJtmHEz56

4. lahaa968

lahaa968 Active Member

I absolutely loved Mao's program. I had my doubts about Tarasova choreographing Rach II for her, but it's glorious. I love all the sweeping in-between moves/transitions, and I think it's a perfect balance between lyricism and eliciting power. I'm alright with the costume, I like the blue, but I hate the crystal in the middle. I did think 67TES for 5 triples was a bit of a joke though...oh well. Looking forward to seeing it develop.

Ashley looked a little out of shape to me. I'm glad she cranked out 7 triples (3-3 incl.), but I'm a little worried about the UR (which is pretty uncharacteristic for Ashley) and the general lack of speed and power. Perhaps the calamitous coaching situation at the beginning of the summer is to blame?

Joannie was terrific, her expression/artistry is better than ever, but I'm not sure she's quite at a place to contend for a medal. She still needs a Lz in my book.

Jeremy looked very confident and focused, and while this wasn't his best effort, I feel like his mind is on the right track as of now, and that's the best we can hope for (because that's the only thing in the way of him achieving his greatest potential). Program is gorgeous as ever.

5. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

6. falling_dance

falling_dance The Scarlet Unlettered

I think fenway2 was asking about cases of all three medalists from one Olympics making the podium at the following Games. I don't think that's ever happened in ladies' singles, though 1932 was a case of the gold and silver medalists repeating, so I thought I'd mention it.

7. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Asada's program is pretty generic but the footwork is awesome.

Wagner's program leaves me cold after the first two viewings. Not sure if it's the lack of conviction or expression on her part, or the fact that the music doesn't have the highs and lows that an Olympic program should have. Not a fan of the changed flip technique, or the spiral - it just went by when it really should be one of the highlighted moves. She seems slow overall but I do like that she finally attempted that 3/3 and nearly got it.

Rochette is still beautiful as ever. She must not have spent a lot of time on that program and the choreography is honestly quite generic, but she made it work. She is a natural.

Worried about Sotnitkova. She needs much better packaging. This beautiful skating doll has been wrecked by Tarasova.

Murakami is so so. Still so labouus and boring. I hope she doesn't make Sochi ahead of Suzuki and I wouldn't know what to do if both Ando and Murakami make the team.

8. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I was seriously looking forward to Dai's Beatles medley, but man...that was underwhelming. I hate the "tango" versions of the songs, and I don't get why Lori picked and placed pieces in a way that didn't build. I think Dai would have been serviced better with a symphonic version of The Beatles as opposed to this guitar and pounding piano version. I think a different orchestration would get the audience into it more, and fit the romantic theme (as evidenced by his interpretation and costume) better.

I was one of those skeptics of Mao's Rach 2, but I am so happy to be wrong about it. This program screams OLYMPICS. I'm happy Tarasova provided a vehicle that's appropriate to Asada's strengths as a skater as opposed to that horrible, heavy version of Prelude she made Asada skate to that just weighed her down (more than that horrible costume Asada wore with that collar). Everything about the LP (the music cuts, the arm movements, and the costume) just works.

I have to say, I haven't seen Slutskaya skate since like Torino and despite everything, I preferred her musical interpretation, look, and choreography here over "Mario Takes a Walk".

9. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Rochette looks stellar out there. I hope she'll do a modified version of this program for CSOI (although I doubt it will happen).

Wagner looked a bit stiff in the knees. I'm hope it was just nerves that she'll shake out. I loved the musical cuts: they were like the R&J version of "Black Swan."

10. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Joannie was by far my favorite. :swoon: Gorgeous, pure skating and fantastic jumps! Mao's FW sequence is spectacular -- definitely goosebump-inducing. And, I'm so proud of Ashley for going for the 3F+3T! :cheer2: The choreographic sequence needs some reworking and she needs more speed overall, but a great first effort. It's only October, but she's looking good for another U.S. title, IMO.

11. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

Oh my, Fernandez was really awesome!!!

12. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

I think the scoring of this exquisite and gorgeous, but technically flawed program of Jeffrey Buttle's is a perfect example of why so many people have a problem with inconsistent COP scoring among skaters, in particular, involving Patrick Chan in comparison to skaters who also should excel in the components of PCS. One can not tell me with a believable face that a 3 mistake program from Jeffrey Buttle only deserves 77.22 in PCS while a 3 mistake program from Patrick Chan deserves a 89.28 in PCS; I'm not buying what you're selling if anyone believes this to be true. There's no way in hell that Chan is 12.06 points better in PCS than Buttle. The PCS scoring is too inconsistent and ridiculously absurd!

13. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

The PCS was invented to push up skaters that they want to see up and kick down skaters they don't 'deserve' to be up yet. Modern way of cheating.

14. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

They are two different competitions and PC is not equal to no. of falls.

15. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I don't think Buttle's PCS should be higher for this program, but I do think that Chan's PCS should have been more affected (lower) when he had so many falls. No matter what competition it was. I don't think it is important fact that they were two different competitions. In theory PCS should be comparable across the competitions.

16. museksk8r

Chan is the only skater in the world who does not have to pay dearly for his mistakes in the PCS scores. This game is UGHly! :shuffle:

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  17. fscric

fscric Active Member

The biggest question for this competition is why was Kozuka's PCS so low???

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  18. fscric

fscric Active Member

So Takahashi getting a PCS as high as 87.48 her with such a low TES score is right?

spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  19. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

No, of course it is not right, but unfortunately Takahashi was one of the skaters they wanted to see up. I think this judging system is good because the TES provides skaters with immediate feedback on what they should improve, but the part of PCS should go through some changes.

20. museksk8r

I never said that. I said the PCS scoring should be consistent. Takahashi should not have scored that much higher than Buttle in the Japan Open given his mistakes either. I don't understand how the judges can justify making flawed artistic skater A suffer in the PCS scores while flawed artistic skater B receives a 10 point PCS boost. There's no justification for it; it's cheating across the board, plain and simple. No one nationality is at fault; it appears to be a universal problem in PCS scoring.

21. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

It felt sorry for Brezina! I agree that it is cheating across the board. Changes should be made to the PCS part of the judging system. The system has been here long enough so hoping that the judges will change (perhaps with more training) is too optimistic.

22. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Wrong thread

23. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

:drama::There we go again. Same ole story! My favourite was Wuzrobbed .... Cheated..... Corrupted FEderations... bribe::EVILLE: :judge:
    The skating season has started! :rolleyes:

24. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

I second Spikey's comment. I almost never engage in these debates, but in case anyone is reading who hasn't totally made up his/her mind forever no matter what, I've seen both Jeff and Patrick live often, and I love watching both. I'd give Jeff a slight edge on musicality/ artistry, but Chan is remarkably superior in speed, and power, and I think complexity, thanks to Jeff's choreography. He flies over the ice like no one else. It doesn't really come across on TV or the net.

A

25. blueglass

blueglass New Member

Why is Chan even part of this discussion? He didn't compete did he?

victorskid and (deleted member) like this.
  26. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Active Member

I agree DimaToe. I feel like this Rachmaninoff program is so wonderful for Mao, and it's hard to explain exactly why. I don't know the proper musical terminology. I think it's the long piano rolls through the crescendos/decrescendos. The momentum & simplicity of the piano rolls is echoed beautifully in Mao's light, fluid, yet powerful skating. I too was nervous when Mao picked this piece, because it's been used so many times, but I think this will be her signature long program. Oh, that final footwork sequence. And the final spiral. I love it!

27. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

he should really have the highest ss along with Daisuke, that's for sure...
    but with Taka, it's the same old as always...the other men are really more expressive than him, dunno what it is. maybe the facial expressions or just believing in what he is doing...

28. skatingfanfun

skatingfanfun New Member

Good interview! Joannie is honest and realistic about her chance and her career. Yes, it doesn't make sense when you know that it is not likely to do better at the Olympics, and it makes sense to cash on the shows that keep coming her way, she deserves it. Still I'll be happy to see her competition skating, at big or small event. Good for her! With only two-month training she skated a over 126 program, 16 points more than her target!

29. skatingfanfun

skatingfanfun New Member

Love Javier's LP! Love his personality! I predict that he's going to be the OGM in Sochi. Patrick Chan's skating skills are miles ahead of Javier, but with Javier's jumps and charisma, if Patrick does not nail the jumps, he's in big trouble.

30. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I've watched Ashley's LP a few times; just my $.02 -

On the plus side:

1) Good 3f-3t attempt and I'm glad she's going for it rather than the 2x-3t. It looks like the work w/ RA is paying off; only a slight UR and toe touch on the landing of the 3toe. I have hopes this element will continue to improve over the course of the season. She's gonna need it!
    2) Her program components are all in place. We can debate what needs to be improved upon but it's good that her program is cohesive w/ an overriding theme and she gets into character, using music from R & J that you can't say has been overused.
    3) Improved jump layout. Looks like she got another UR on the 1st 3loop. Coincidentally, it would be great to see if she could do a 3loop - 2axel instead of the 3l-2t. It's doable I think because the move comes around the 2-minute mark, and it would be worth more points
    4) Moved the 3-jump combo to the 2nd half of the program. Good tactic. Can we expect a Rippon or 'tano 2toe?

On the 'needs improvement' side:

1) Music cuts are admirably not old warhorse versions, but they don't seem to build to anything; do they need to be reworked? Or is it matter of Ashley skating each element w/ a lot more oomph to carry these music cuts? I remember being meh over earlier versions of MK's 'Red Violin' LP, but it totally came together by '00 Worlds. Is that the same issue here?
    2) Spins; her spins and corresponding levels looked superior in 'S & D' last year. Is that just a matter of it being early in the season, with perhaps an earlier concentration on a 3-3 having left her spins a little rusty? Or is her attempt at experimenting w/ some positions hindering the flow of her spins?
    3) FW - not bad, but it would be good to see her hit some edges for better flow in her FW

If she can slowly bring it all together, she could be in place for a medal should Mao or Caro slip.