Japan Open 2013

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by morqet, Jun 19, 2013.

1. masofs

masofs New Member

Joannie Rochette was stunning. That is such a beautiful program and she is more expressive and gorgeous than ever. I miss her skating on the competitions so much.

I actually liked Mao's program a lot and I think this is such a good beginning of the season for her. Loved the step sequence, as always.

MR-FAN and (deleted member) like this.
  2. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

I agree, I think Mao's program has potential to be very powerful. I also think that her improvement on triple axel is remarkable, she seems to have fixed her chronic underrotation problems on this jump, very impressive. It's sad her ability to land it is so under-appreciated. Not a single lady is attempting it at the moment and after Mao retires there is no one in sight who could do it. Tuktamysheva was giving hope, but it all remained just talk unfortunately.
    Congratulations Mao on a great start of the season!

3. pat decaro

pat decaro New Member

On a second viewing, I agree with you guys. I wish Ashley put it all together when it counts at Nationals and Olympics. This looks like a great vehicle for an Olympic free skate.

4. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

WOW, just watched Mao's "Rachmaninoff" and I want to cry it was so beautiful and emotional and touching (& powerfull)!!!! *joy* :cheer2::encore:

What a joy it's been to have seen her evolve into such an emotional performer. And this is honestly the very first time I can see her going head-to-head with Yuna when it comes to PCS. I think the death of her mother has really released Mao from the inside out. I particularly like the step sequence at the end ~ broiught back memories of D&M's iconic "Rachmaninoff" from the '94 Olympics, particularly near the end wherein he & Natalia go into a manic riveting dance, then at the very end of the program Artur jumps into a magnificent leap, grabs his chest, tears off the fabric, and reveals his heart (& Natalia falls into his arms whilst throwing her head back). :hat1:

And I love the peacock blue dress of Mao's, but I think for this particular program she would benefit from less superfluous wear, instead opting for something that shows off her beautiful line and elegance, combined with power! Not to forget those oh-my-god jumps! :eek: They're even bigger & stronger, like the Olympic Motto ~ altius, citius, fortius. :smokin:

Now I'm off to watch the rest. :)

5. NadineWhite

Ashley Wagner ~ oh my what a vision on ice, and one can tell she's been working on her triples, they're getting bigger, especially her 3F. Love the music, choreography, costume, et al. Can definitely see Ashley tieing for a bronze at Sochi. And may I add it's a delight and real joy to see ladies skating. :cool:

Joannie Rochette ~ she's always reminded me of Denise Biellmann and here as well (she even looks like her!). They're natural jumpers and are cut & fit more than anybody else. I can honestly see Joannie landing triples into her 30's/40's/50's (same as Denise has done). And what a lovely sophisticated program (the color of the dress reminds me of Lu Chen's "Rachmaninoff" one). I wish she would come back and skate at Sochi. And once again what a delight & joy to see ladies skating. :)

Irina Slutskaya ~ still gorgeous as ever. And I love the dress, construction of the program, music, et al. Jumps are missing, but I love the 3-turns, always have! :smokin: Even without the jumps I enjoyed her program way more than the other two youngsters. :( And finally once again what a joy & delight to see ladies skating. :)

Adelina Sotnikova ~ if I were the Russian Federation I would honest to God be worried about capturing a Team Medal of any color. Reason: their ladies are not up to par imho. I cannot believe that Adelina has been my favorite of the Russian ladies even since she debuted on the senior circuit because this program, et al, is a HUGE step backwards. I detest everything about it (costume, music, choreography, gloves, etc.). It doesn't do her justice at all. :( I kept looking at the clock wanting it to be over.

Kanako Murakami ~ ditto in regards to the skating (kept checking the clock to see when it would end). :( Not only that her telegraphing of the jumps wherein she hitches herself up before vaulting (especially the 3F where she comes across as a pole vaulter) is unpleasant. Thank goodness the Japan Federation has Mao (& Miki).

Imho the two youngsters (i.e. Adelina & Kanako) skating comes across as very immature, particularly noticeable when skating against Mao, Ashley, Joannie, and Irina.

Now off to watch the men skate. :)

6. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

The Russian federation doesn't have to absurdly prop Adelina Sotnikova up! They can send Julia Lipnitskaia! Julia needs to be sent. They just need to stop it with Sotnikova and Tuktamisheva already.

7. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

No kidding. It certainly helps when the second half (with jump bonus) is better than your first half!
    It's amazing--and not amazing, too--that she's chosen not to come back for the Olys. She'd nearly guarantee Canada gold in the team event. I wonder if Skate Canada can still encourage her to do it?

8. NadineWhite

Javiar Fernandez ~ holy smokes he blew me away!!!! :encore::cheer2: I said to myself that's the 2014 Olympic Champion and then per usual he had trouble on his triples later on in the program. :( But my goodness he has natural charisma, charm, like the real James Bond, and his physical appearance isn't bad either, lol. I kept thinking to myself he's the Yuna Kim of mens skating. He oozes IT! And I love his smile, he makes me laugh & cry and feel good. In fact somebody like Artur Gachinsky could learn a lot from him in terms of being happy, joyous no matter what, no matter what! :) BRAVO, MR. HERNANDEZ *bow*

Takahiko Kozuka ~ nice program and nice man. :) But just like Hanyu I feel that his team is making him into something he is not with the music and the Jim Morrison loud outfit. He's shy and introspective. I wish he had a program that exemplified him from the inside out. jmho.

Jeremy Abbott ~ this is a case of having always always loved the performer/performance, but not the man. His skating is honest to God on another plane. Just surreal, touches the inner core of being, a poet on ice. I wish he had gone into dance or ballet, just to see him perform, alone, no partner nor triples/quads. Truly a joy to watch! But I have to be honest and say I would not put him on the Olympic Team even if he skates brilliantly (which he has in the past at Nationals) UNLESS the other two skate totally dismally; he's too inconsistent and has landed a quad only a few times, never at the Olympics nor Worlds IIRC, more's the pity. :( *cry*

Can't wait to find a video of Daisuke Takahashi skating ~ Elvis on ice with a quad to boot! :cool: A real natural performer. And may I say I LOVE mens skating!!!!! :smokin::40beers:

ps: what a beautiful sight to see that the arena was jam-packed up to the rafters! YEAH!!!! :)^D

9. torren

torren New Member

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  10. torren

torren New Member

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  11. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Max Aaron scored 157.72 at the 2013 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic and Jeremy Abbott just scored 157.70 at the Japan Open, an event he did not even have a full week's notice that he would be participating in as a replacement for Kevin Reynolds. Their first events of this season show a virtual tie between the 2013 US champ and the 2009, 2010, and 2012 US champ. Inconsistent or not, Jeremy has shown that he is still competitive with the top current U.S. men. Ross Miner finished 14th at last season's Worlds. Where are these other consistent US men with reliable quads that are jeopardizing Abbott's or anyone else's spot on the Olympic team? Aaron is the only one who has shown real consistency with the quad in competition recently. Jeremy landed the quad at the 2008 Worlds (a 4toe+2toe combo in the SP and a 4toe in the LP) and the 2012 Worlds (a 4toe in the LP), so I don't know where your misinformation comes from that he has never landed the quad at Olympics or Worlds.

12. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

Impressed with Joannie. I wish she was competing this year. It could be THE winning factor for Canada in the team event.

Javi was impressive. High score, and he has room to improve.

Jeremy did well for early in the season. Hope it doesn't ruin his Skate Canada preparation. It's a shame he didn't get an international prep assignment like the other top US men.

13. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Abbott still pulls by far the highest PCS of any US man (in front of an international panel anyway), and still outscores a lot of the US quad kids even when they skate well, so I don't get why anyone would leave him off the team if he skated brillaintly, especially for someone with such an inconsistent quad like Miner. (if you're using the quad as the base of you argument.)

14. NadineWhite

As I stated IIRC (i.e. if I recall correctly), so thank you, museksk8r for setting me straight that he *has* landed the quad at Worlds. But I am right when I stated he has landed it only a few times, and never at the Olympics. More's the pity. :(

The rest of your post is hyperbole, as I *never* said that there were other US men with consistent quads, et al.

Here's hoping everybody skates their best at US Nationals, and more importantly that the USFSA picks the best ones for the Olympic Team! :cool:

GOOOOOOOOOO TEAM USA, KICK A**! :kickass:

15. NadineWhite

I agree, casken, and Jeremy deserves every single PCS; he's brilliant! :smokin:

Too bad he's so inconsistent, same with all of the US men really, except for Evan Lysacek, but we know how that's going. :( Oh well...

ETA: now's the time for the US Men to make their case, if one wants to go to the Olympics it starts R-I-G-H-T N-O-W!!!! Blow everyone away at one's GPs, competitions, and make a name for yourself. Make it so that the USFSA cannot deny you. Time for some consistency and gold medals. :cool:

16. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

I Loved what I saw othe top 3 ladies, great showing for all 3, especially this early in the season :cheer:

Mao: When I first heard that TAT was having her skate to Rach 2 I was all types of ::rolleyes: . I actually take that back now. Tarasova gave Mao a great vehicle for the Olympic season, whether it's overused or not, Mao brings such musicality to the program that is just flows. All of the parts just bring out what I love about Mao's skating, eventhough it has strong parts, its actually highlight's Mao's "soft" skating style . I don't know how to explain myself. I can say that I believe this will become a signature piece for Mao and a great LP to retire with in Sochi (My only complaint is her Peacock inspired dress, even if it wasn't meant to resemble a peacock to me is did :lol: and after Akiko was all types of :glamor: in her dress last year, no other lady should be allowed to try that same style for a while :p )

Joannie: The fact that she can still put out programs like that really shows how much natural talent she has. Very enjoyable program. She would definitely be an asset in the team event for Canada. I'm sort of bummed she isn't participating, but at least we got to her this program from her.

Ashley: This is probably my favorite LP that she's had in quite a while. Perfect packaging for her I'd say. Really liked the color of her dress. skating wise the only bad thing I'd say is that she looked a little slow out there, I hope that it's just because she was still getting this program under her feet, I'm sure her speed will improve as the season goes on. Jump wise I think that it was smart of her to go to Arutunian, she went for the 3F-3T which is great to see, plus to me all of her jumps looked a little smoother and to be building more flow than she usually has which is a good thing. The music cuts seem to fit her pretty well, the only thing I'd say is that she could grab the stronger parts of the music and really work with them, but like the other things, I'm sure that it will happen as the season goes on. Overall this was a good showing for Ashley and a good way to show that even in the early part of the season she is still the U.S #1 lady :cheer:

dinakt and (deleted member) like this.
  17. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

Always excited when this point of the season comes around.

These are my initial impressions after watching the ladies (note, I only watched each program once):

Joannie Rochette: Wow, I almost teared up and the end. She's clearly kept up with her technical skills, and skated with such freedom and abandon. If she got her 3Lz back (and she'd only really need one for the short and one for the free), I'd think she be competitive in Sochi.

Mao Asada: Lovely program, great build to the end. I hope she can nail everything because this is EVERYTHING an Olympic-winning free should be, even if the music is a bit overused.

Kanako Murakami: Love "Papa Can You Hear Me," just not on her. I'm not sure why her coaches keep packaging her as a lyrical skater, when something with speed and attack suits her personality and skating much better. I'd go back to last year's tango program instead.

Ashley Wagner: Upon first viewing, this doesn't seem like an Olympic year program to me. There's something that seems very dark about this program, and while I find the choreography interesting, it's not inspiring. Good attack though and good attempt at the 3F+3T. She can definitely get deeper in her knees for the footwork.

Irina Slutskaya: I love Irina, good for her for competing 8 years removed from her last eligible competition.

Adelina Sotnikova: Not sure why she's going for two 3Fs when she's been plagued by issues with the jump, but I guess she doesn't want the edge call on her 3Lz. Interesting program, horrible costume. I wouldn't count out Elizaveta yet, as the bits of Malaguena I saw from her were quite nice.

18. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

:scream: I love Dai, but that free program is horrible. More music cuts than an original dance, slow, awkward spins. Other than his always sublime footwork, I am majorly disappointed. :shuffle:

Loved Joannie and Mao's programs. :respec: for Joannie for being so amazing nearly 4 years after leaving the competitive world. Ashley's program has a lot of potential, but she seemed a bit cautious. Still a great first outing.

Please, please, please don't let Kozuka keep that track outfit as his costume for this long program. He looks like he is on this way to the gym! No, no, and no. The program is wonderful though. So happy to see him healthy! .

I still love Jeremy's Muse program. And glad to see his spins were all level 3 and 4. Overall, I think this was a solid if not spectacular way to start his season.

Fernandez looks hungry for Olympic gold. My only qualm (one I have with Max Aaron is well) is 4 salchows in a program is just too many. I know technically they are not breaking any rules but.... :p

19. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

20. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

21. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

Add me to the long list of people wishing Joannie would throw her hat into the mix.. her artistry has grown so much over the past 4 years, how amazing would it be for her to show up at sectionals this year to qualify for nationals.. will keep hoping..

22. unicorn

unicorn Member

It's nice to see that Jeremy Abbott's so happy after finishing his performance. That's...just nice.

23. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

If Joannie came back, there's a chance the 2010 medalists could repeat in 2014. Has that ever happened?

It would take Carolina melting down but it could happen. Not that I want her to skate poorly, but a repeat is interesting to think about.

24. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

The last thing i want is to see a repeat.

25. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

Well that seals it then. Joannie isn't allowed to come back because Jammers doesn't want the same medalists. :lol:

26. falling_dance

falling_dance Bravo, Patrick.

The closest thing to a repeat I can think of is Sonja Henie winning gold in 1928 and 1932, with Fritzi Burger winning silver in both years.

27. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

didn't Katerina Witt do it??

28. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Watched Mao & Ashley's new LPs and I can only say WOW to both. Potential masterpiece of a program for Mao, particularly that final step sequence; goosebumps to the max! Ashley finally got her 3-3 combo but, best of all, has a gorgeous, polished program that is heads above anything else displayed by other US ladies so far this season. Ashley Wagner is absolutely the class of the field among US ladies who we've seen (Alissa the big 'if'); she only has to keep building on this beautiful foundation, improve speed and raise the difficulty in the footwork.

BOTH are 'Olympic-worthy' programs.

29. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Yes, but not the entire podium.

In another discipline, Stoijko and Candeloro won silver/bronze if 1994 and 1998.

30. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

On the men's side there is 1994 and 1998, The same 3 countries kept their medal placements, Although the Gold medalist was different, Both Stokjo and Candeloro both repeated their Silver and Bronze medal finish respectively.

ETA: Proustable beat me to it :lol: