Japan Open 2013

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by morqet, Jun 19, 2013.

1. roma

roma New Member

Mao overscored? Based on GPF and Worlds last season, I don't think so. Mao did pretty well in JO this time.

GPF 2012: TES: 63.45 PCS: 66.39
    Worlds 2013: TES: 65.96 PCS: 68.41
    JO 2013: TES: 67.39 PCS: 67.77

2. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

I haven't paid much attention to pro skating. Does Joannie still have her beautiful triple lutz?

3. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

4. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

I'm guessing Takahashi is allowed to outscore everybody else on the program components although he fell two times, he underrotated his only quad and popped the second 3A into a single axel and his TES was lower than Fernandez's by some 27 points. Would Chan have received a score like that, it would have certainly been blatant overmarking by the judges.:lol:

5. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I adore Mao's LP. She chose Rachmaninov for both Olympic seasons; and I did not care much for her LP in 2010, but this, I love. I think she matches the music's power- and the expenditure of energy must be enormous, for such a power skate from a typically lyrical performer. Musical accents are all there. I think I need to rewatch:)

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Alvyne

Alvyne Active Member

7. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

I'm not feeling the programs of Wagner nor Asada. Maybe they just need time to grow on me. Ashley needs much more speed and power in her basic skating to make this a convincing program to me. Mao had a lot of jump technique issues and sloppy mistakes throughout. Her step sequence is fabulous though!

On the flip side, I LOVE Takahashi's Beatles medley. He is so dashing! I love his skating skills and that he feels every note of his music. Beautiful! If only I could have a men's Olympic podium consisting of Abbott, Takahashi, Kozuka, or Gachinski.

8. iceberg08

iceberg08 Active Member

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  9. museksk8r

10. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

She looks as fit as ever, her jumps are still gorgeous and her program and skating have matured into something very special. That program is perfect for her and she looks really inspiring...yo add 2 lutzes there and she's a contender. She has the pcs to rival mao and Carolina

11. museksk8r

Adelina Sotnikova: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElYNEi0SqUw

It's really sad to see her struggle like this. She has so much talent; hopefully, she can regroup and skate like we know she can. The choreography and costuming for this program do her no favors, IMO. They make her look like a junior skater. She's capable of much more!

12. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

I know Joannie won't be in Sochi as a competitor, but this program was absolutely beautiful. It floors me that she doesn't train competitive programs for most of the year, yet when it comes time, she has the ability to put a program like this together and skate lights out. That is a true competitor and why she is so missed out there. That being said, not having the weight of the world on her shoulders has really freed her to go out there and just do it her own way and I have nothing but respect and admiration for her. Beautiful :)

alilou, FSfan107, flutzilla1 and 5 others like this.
  13. museksk8r

14. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Absolutely gorgeous..It goes to show that pro skaters CAN keep up their skills. I am hoping that Jamie Sale saw this one..How refreshing to see someone 4 yrs away from competition go out and do more than a few twirls and some ugly National Geographic leaps.

MR-FAN and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

I can't believe I am bored watching Takahashi's program. He is usually so magnetic and electrifying. It's a very boring program and the music editing is utterly incoherent. His long and flowing skating is the only enjoyable element to watch. Unfortunately there is nothing else that catches the attention.

OTOH, I'm pleasantly surprised by Sotnikova's program, which has some unique and memorable choreographic points.

16. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

17. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Joannie skated so free and was so expressive and joyous. She's such a beautiful skater now and her loop was as explosive as ever. I had tears in my eyes watching her.

18. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Me too.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  19. museksk8r

Jeremy Abbott: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYPNHglv2YA

A GREAT positive that Jeremy can take away from this skate is knowing that he increased his stamina as the program progressed through to the end. Much improved from last season!

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Overall, I like Ashley's program. Love the transitions, especially in the beginning. It's very encouraging that she's handling it so well so early in the season.

Not sure how she got L4 for her final combo spin, though. I thought you had to show 2 positions on each foot to get L4?

21. C_T_T_

C_T_T_ Well-Known Member

2 features on each foot. So she did back entrance and layover on the right leg, then hopped to the left for broken leg. :)

Coco and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Debrah

Debrah Well-Known Member

Rochette's FS brought me to tears, it's absolutely stunning, and I really appreciated the level of maturity, artistry, and attention to every little detail and the jumps were still explosive; hmmn even her spirals have improved - WOW,WOW,WOW. She was one with the music -a perfect harmony of body, mind and spirit.

This is a real lady, with everything that word implies, not a girl skating. Some things do get better with age, and Joannie is definitely one of those things! I am just so impressed with her professionalism - keeping, even improving her skating skills these last 4 years, while still developing an even greater level of artistry. A true role model...

alilou, kwanette, flutzilla1 and 7 others like this.
  23. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I agree. Too bad about the mistakes but that step sequence was bad-ass. As a fan, I realistically don't expect her to win gold, but I hope she eventually skates this program cleaner. I think Ashley's has a lot of potential as well and I LOVE her music.

24. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Sweet! thanks, CTT :)

25. pat decaro

pat decaro New Member

Thanks for the links! I really liked Ashley's fs. The only complaint I have is that they could have well used a bit more familiar cuts for that music. With more mileage to that program, I think it could be superb.

I'm underwhelmed with Mao's new (or is it, really?) program. AGAIN.

26. Canadask8er

Canadask8er New Member

Joannie was mesmerising!!!! Have we heard what her plans are yet or is she still being hush-hush about it, besides saying that she still wants to be amateur. I wonder if part of the success she is having and the level of skating is because there is absolutely no pressure. She at times was the greatest skater under pressure, and when the pressure was off she was amazing! That program is definitely gold medal worthy!

27. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

I'm so glad she went with parts of the score that haven't been skated to. I think with more mileage and a speedier fw sequence this program can put up big scores.

28. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

Haha, I really like it precisely because it doesn't use the same over-used cuts!

29. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Joannie rocks!

30. justAfsfan

justAfsfan New Member

Me three, so beautiful. She always have great performance at Japan open!