Jane Seymour in Fine Fettle at 62 -- Swimsuit Cover Girl

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by aftershocks, Jan 3, 2014.

1. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...our-62-shows-extremely-toned-bikini-body.html

Says Jane:

'God, I’m in better shape now in some ways than I was when I was doing the [1973] Bond film [Live and Let Die].'

'I tried [Botox] and hated it. I’d never do it again. For me it doesn’t work because I’m an actor and I need to be able to move every part of my face.' :duh:

The accompanying photos of Jane through the years are worth taking a gander at ...

2. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I've always thought she was just about the most beautiful Bond girl ever. She was just incredibly, naturally beautiful. She still is. :)

The Daily Mail sucks, not that that's shocking. The photo that they label as "around her 30s" is definitely a still from a 1972 photoshoot, when she was 21.

3. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Gosh, people look different as they age. Thank you Daily Mail for this groundbreaking journalism :rolleyes:

4. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

During the "Law and Order" New Year's Marathon on USA Network. they showed the episode she did several seasons ago.
    She was stunning; and a terrific actress.

5. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Hard to believe she's my age...I sure don't look like THAT! :HA!:

Buzz and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I don't have much trouble believing that's her actual body shape -- it's not at all impossible when you have the right genes and the right lifestyle.

I do, however, have a great deal of trouble believing that's her actual skin, without the help of airbrushing or other effects. A light bronze colour, perfectly even all over, and no wrinkles? Not a single blemish or age spot? I really, really doubt it.

7. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

It has clearly been airbrushed to death and I guarantee they reshaped at least some of her, probably mostly thighs and upper arms.

8. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I'm just happy that people are still using the word "fettle." :) [/English major]

9. Simone411

Simone411 Just Flip-Flopping Around

As they would say in my neck of the woods, "Honey Hush! That's totally airbrushed!" :shuffle:

10. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

"Knock knock"
    "Who's there?"
    "Ivana"
    "Ivana who?"
    "Ivana Seymour Jane!"

11. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

Kate Upton is airbrushed/shopped. Almost everything published in fashion/beauty mags is.

Jane is indeed in fine fettle.

12. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I "met" Jane Seymour in 1986 when she came to the bookstore I worked for then. She was there to promote and autograph Jane Seymour's Guide to Romantic Living. She appeared dressed for the part: a retro 50s cocktail dress, complete with tulle petticoat underneath; it was pale pink satin, sweetheart neckline, 3/4-length sleeves, and the skirt embellished with seashells set in circles of faux-pearls. And even with the cream-colored 3" pumps, she was tiny. And absolutely, incredibly beautiful. And quite the oh-so-civilized British diva. :lol:

13. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

:rolleyes: I wonder how the world managed before Jane offered her romantic advice?

She's also the most terrible snob.

14. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Tell me about it. She communicated only through the Corporate Buyer; the rest of us were beneath her notice. Even when I was sent to the bar across the mall for a bottle of Perrier, a glass of ice, and exactly four napkins, she never so much as looked at me when I put said items, just so, on the table in front of her, as indicated by her perfectly manicured finger. :glamor:

15. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I saw her in 2007. she was a speaker at a convention my husband and I went to. She was in the gym, and she is TINY! She is pretty, but not as pretty without make-up (as with most older women). But, as tiny as she is, Artemis nailed it. Her shape is pretty much what you see, but the skin doesn't look like that. And that was 6, almost 7 years ago. Major Photoshopping! And I like her, I'm not picking on her.

16. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

17. cruisin

Sorry, but I think a woman should give up bikinis at a certain age.

18. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Wow! Helen looks fabulous!

I don't think women should have to give up bikinis. I have worn one all my life mainly because a one piece never fits my long body and a tankini is not flattering to someone with very small boobs! That said, I wonder why Jane Seymour feels the need to pose in one in what is so obviously a retouched studio photo. It is not as though they caught her at the beach and so she posed (a la Helen M.) I've always associated the bikini photos with young starlets or reality TV people who have something to prove and are trying to make a name for themselves. Jane looks great but surely at this point it is not her body that is going to get her movie roles. Maybe it makes her feel good? Maybe she need the reassurance of positive comments? It just seems odd to me, but if she is happy, then I guess it doesn't matter - she's not hurting anyone.

19. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

I don't think Jane's cover is any odder than the hundred plus photos of Kim Kardashian's butt or Miley Cyrus's tongue that I'm constantly inundated with while standing in the grocery store line. Jane looks great, retouched or not. I certainly appreciate seeing a range of beauties from a range of ages. And at least Jane's photo it tasteful.

O-

20. overedge

Jane herself may not be hurting anyone, but I think that articles such as these can be very damaging. More "regular"-looking 62-year-olds might read it and think they are ugly or inadequate because they don't look like her - when she is the exception rather than the norm.

21. OliviaPug

That goes for every single age out there ... Victoria's Secret catalogs and televised lingerie show ... pencil thin models ... Sports Illustrated Swimsuit edition ... nipped and tucked actresses ... Playboy bunnies ("The Girls Next Door") and the list goes on and on ...

... and young girls are extremely impressionable and vulnerable and just getting to understand who they are.

O-

22. overedge

Well, yes, I didn't say that only 62-year-olds would be affected by these types of articles or that only 62-year-olds are prone to that sort of self-negativity. I agree that it's a problem for women of all ages, and that there are articles promoting those unrealistic ideals for all age groups. But in the case of this particular article I would guess that women around Seymour's age would be most likely to look at her and wonder why their body of roughly the same age looks "worse".

23. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Yeah, she definitely hasn't had any botox. Because not having any wrinkles at 62 can obviously be achieved through acupuncture, homoeopathy and using organic argan oil. And it's just a coincidence that she has a STARTLED :eek: expression in all three of her recent photos included in that article.

Desperado and (deleted member) like this.
  24. cruisin

Again, I think she looks amazing, and I like her. But a 62 year old woman who is that thin (and she is even thinner, in person) has wrinkles! I know. I use Argon oil, drink water, etc - the face starts to sag and get wrinkles if you have no fat. She may not have had Botox, but she would have to have had fillers.

25. OliviaPug

I don't think many women seeing Seymour would wonder why they (of the same age) look worse. I think they'd be more likely to count the reasons why they don't. I don't think the average person believes they have the time, money, or privileges of celebrities to attain what celebrities do in the looks or fitness department. If you've ever read comments in People Magazine (the letters in the front), you'd see that most folks don't give "stars" a lot of credit for their bodies, weight loss, fitness, good looks, etc., because they expect "stars" to be able to attain what they do given their advantages.

O-

26. overedge

I have to disagree. I know there are women who think about the advantages that stars have which help them to look better, but I think there are more women who just look at the woman being presented as the example/ideal and feel bad that they don't look like that. Especially when the star lies says, oh, all I do is watch what I eat, get enough sleep, and exercise regularly - because those are all things that "regular" people can do.

The one kind of article where I think most women don't believe the hype is the "body after baby" stories, where the celeb has magically shed excess weight and toned themselves back into pre-baby shape within a few weeks or months. Anyone who has had a baby themselves, or who has a new mom among their family or friends, knows that just doesn't happen.

27. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I think it depends on the person. I was back in my old jeans in 4 weeks after giving birth. I didn't do anything special except breast feed a lot and walk. Now I am similar in build to the Duchess of Cambridge. Those of us who are tall, slim, and, most importantly, have long bodies, have a much easier time than shorter women or women who's height is in their legs. Given all the other issues I had around getting and staying pregnant, I figured the gods owed me easy weight loss :)

28. OliviaPug

Agree to disagree (re overedge). And agree (re mag).

There will always be people who will feel badly about themselves and need very little motivation to feel that way. The media and hype surrounding "stars" does not help that, but it isn't the only reason for it. My suggestion to those people would be to stop watching E!, and other similar shows, and stop reading People Magazine, and other similar magazines, and to focus on themselves, their lives, and more fulfillling things like volunteering or spending time with family and friends.

But I would hardly point to Jane Seymour as being THE example of someone who is making the female population feel badly about themselves. And I personally wouldn't shame her for her magazine spread. She obviously works hard to keep herself in good shape -- photoshopping aside. She's rather minor in the scheme of the massive amount of crap out there. People will feel badly about themselves regardless.

O-

29. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I know, right? I HATE it when celebs start going on about drinking lots of water and getting enough sleep when they are practically bionic.

30. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

You are rationalising something that is wrong (unrealistic body image being forced down our throats 24/7) in order to convince yourself that the world ultimately is a just place (which it isn't), for the sake of your own mental well-being. This is a well studied psychological mechanism (this is why crime victims get blamed for what happened to them).

Nothing is ever the only reason for anything (as far as human social behaviour is concerned anyway) and obviously there's a much bigger picture here and there are multiple factors to be considered. This problem wouldn't exist to the same extent (or at all) if we weren't surrounded by images like Jane Seymour's, though.

Ok, now you're blaming the victims. You are saying that people who feel inadequate about their body image (and in extreme cases, coupled with other stressors, are driven to eating disorders and body dysmorphia) are to blame because they choose to watch 'entertainment' channels and read tabloids instead of finding more constructive ways of spending their time.

Unrealistic body image isn't just shown on E! and in People Magazine. Photos of media personalities looking like Jane Seymour are shown everywhere, from tabloids to broadsheets, on every TV channel, in most films and on a variety of internet websites. We are surrounded by them 24/7.

Ultimately, E! and People just a symptom, an expression of cultural values of a late capitalist society. They only exist because we highly value physical appearance, material wealth and the aspirationalism of 'celebrity' with 'rags to riches' being one of our main cultural tropes (especially in the US but everywhere else as well).

She's might not be 'THE' example but she's 'an' example.

Jane Seymour lied about not having had invasive medical procedures (it's not physically possible to be 62 and have a virtually wrinkle-free face) and not restricting her food intake and she probably exercises a lot more than she said in the interview as well (in order to have a flat stomach and hardly any body fat overall - especially at her age with metabolism really slowing down - you need to both restrict what you eat and exercise heavily, unless you're snorting shitloads of cocaine).

Which makes it even worse. The images alone are bad enough but the lies of 'I'm just an ordinary person' that go with it are the nail in the coffin. People like Jane Seymour spend more money on their appearance than most people will earn in a lifetime. They consult aestheticians, cosmetic dermatologists and plastic surgeons regularly. They have personal trainers and chefs. And then they say that if they want to eat pasta, they eat pasta, their wrinkle-free skin is the result of using rice bran oil and they exercise moderately 'because it makes them feel good' (Kelly Rowland does 200 push-ups in the evening for that reason, apparently :shuffle:). See, it's so simple, anybody can do it! So if you're overweight, it's because you're weak-willed and lazy.