Jane Eyre

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by ioana, Mar 9, 2011.

1. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I went to a screening of this last night in Boston and thought it was very well done. Cary Fukunaga and Mia Wasikowska were there after the screening for Q&A's and he mentioned not watching any of the previous versions of JE besides the one by Orson Welles. That's part of the reason why I loved the movie. It was a fresh take on the story. Major :respec: for staying true to the book while making it appealing to people who aren't your typical Merchant Ivory fans.

Judi Dench was brilliant as the house keeper -don't remember anyone else making that part memorable or funny, but that's why she's such a great actress. And, the first conversation between Mr. Rochester & Jane Eyre was done v. well. Definitely go see the movie if you get a chance -I thought it was well worth it :)!

SaSherka and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

Do you know if this is going to be released everywhere or only in "select cities"?

3. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

Ive seen several versions of this story and enjoyed them all in different ways. I am very much looking forward to this one! :)

4. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

It has a brilliant cast, can't wait! :cheer2:

Eden and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

It would appear it's only in select cities, and not in the Chicago area. Bummer, because I was really looking forward to seeing this. :( Hopefully it gets a wide release soon!

6. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I think the first release date for 'select theaters' is March 18th. I'm hoping it does well enough to start showing in more cities afterwards.

7. SaSherka

SaSherka New Member

Cary Fukunaga!
    The film opens in limited release this Friday, with staggered release all over the country. Check the imdb and Facebook pages for more info.

8. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I'm dying to see this (and can't believe most of us have to wait so long. I'm sick of all this "opening in limited release" garbage!). Thanks so much for the review, ioana!

9. Andrushka

Andrushka New Member

I am very much interested in seeing this.Jane Eyre has always been one of my favorite books.

10. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I'm glad it's getting good reviews, and I hope to be seeing it soon, but ... is it just me, or does this seem like the 8th Jane Eyre screen treatment in as many years?

11. SaSherka

SaSherka New Member

12. Wyliefan

Arlington on the 25th! YAY! :cheer2:

13. Eden

Eden Well-Known Member

Too bad I'll have to wait so long to watch it, but I will definitely go to see it.

14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I am not sure, not really a fan of Mia Wasikowska.

15. Wyliefan

I've never seen her in anything. Alice in Wonderland didn't look all that interesting to me.

16. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

It sucked.

17. Eden

Eden Well-Known Member

She played in Defiance, as Chaya Dziencielsky who becomes the wife of Asael Bielski (played by Jamie Bell).

She also played in The Kids Are All Right as the lesbian's couple daughter.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
    IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  18. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Well, I saw Jane Eyre today and all I can say is "what a massive disappointment." There is no chemistry between the leads. The movie starts off very well but falls flatter than a pancake by the halfway point and just plods along endlessly from then on. Wasikowska is not good at all; she's not the least bit interesting - just flat, flat, flat.

I give the whole thing a B+ at best; it falls into the category of what I call a "well-intentioned failure."

19. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Yes, this confirms my impression of her as Alice in Wonderland. Blah and meh.

20. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Which puts her about on par with Joan Fontaine? ;)

21. emason

emason Well-Known Member

It's been so long since I've seen that version that I don't remember anything about it.

22. Wyliefan

Ah, interesting -- so she does marry "St. John" in that one. :)

23. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

My favorite version of Jane Eyre is a mini-series I saw on PBS or A&E years ago with Timothy Dalton and Zelah Clarke. My least favorite is probably the Orson Welles/Joan Fontaine one.

24. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Mine too! If only because the Soviet Ministry of Culture deemed it worthy and bought it for TV. Millions of Soviet women had crushes on Timothy Dalton. :lol:

25. Wyliefan

Just got back and I'm really pleased with the adaptation. I thought it captured the spirit and feel of the book beautifully. And I thought both leads were brilliant. I might have liked to see them age Fassbender a little -- I always think of Rochester as older than that -- but otherwise I wouldn't change a thing about either of them.

26. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

Except it did have the already incredibly lovely Elizabeth Taylor as Jane's beautiful young friend Helen at Lowood School whose curls got cut off and who died of consumption.