Jamie's Food Revolution USA

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by luenatic, Mar 29, 2010.

1. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

I watched the first 2 episodes and I can't wait for more! I was shocked that school children do not know what a tomato looks like. They don't even know French Fries were made from potatoes. :eek:
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I was riveted to the TV during the premiere. What an interesting concept, and of course, Jamie Oliver is a rock star! :respec:

Even so, as he was trying to help families and schools make healthy choices, it amazed me to see him facing such resistance.
  3. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

He was on AC360 a few days ago talking about his chat with a bunch of school kids and they did not know what a tomato or potato looked like. But they did know french fries! LOL
  4. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

And they knew what ketchup was. They just didn't know it was made from tomatoes (and corn syrup). The ingredients for the "mashed potatoes" were horrifying, and I can't believe they serve neon pink "milk" to the kids. Maybe if the weren't spending money to put sugar and food coloring in the milk, they could afford some real vegetables and real chicken. And the schools are required to provide kids with two servings of bread in addition to the rice?

I was so sad for that 12 year-old boy. I hope he gets healthy. In future episodes, I hope Jamie gives specific examples of how families can serve healthy and delicious foods without spending a lot of money. I think that a lot of people tuning it would love to see that and benefit from it.
  5. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

Kudos to Jamie for doing this, as it's long overdue. We've made small progress in school lunches, but there is a lot more to accomplish. This has gotta help a little bit...
  6. liv

liv Well-Known Member

I was shocked to see that the kids could not recognize your basic fruits/vegetables. I thought everyone learned that when they learned their ABCs.

I had no idea school lunches or breakfasts (pizza? no way...unless you're in university and it's cold, lol) were that pathetic.

Good on Jamie for taking this on. Hopefully this will catch on and he can make some sort of difference.

I guess I was lucky, growing up in the country and able to have a garden and go food shopping. It really makes you think what some kids are missing out on.
  7. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

How about the majority of the kids not knowing how to use a knife and fork?

The whole premise is shocking. You're basically killing the town's children with processed food and someone offers to take offer with a healthy alternative by suggesting to feed them REAL food - and you offer...RESISTANCE??? :confused: Are these people CRAZY??? :huh:
    luenatic and (deleted member) like this.
  8. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

A lot of this was staged. I know the principal of the school. They staged a lot of that stuff with the kids. :lol: ABC did give the church whose congregation provided a lot of the footage 250K and built them a new fellowship hall with a fantastic kitchen.

It's a good premise, however.
  9. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

:drama: you mean it wasn't all real reactions? I'm shocked I tell you .... shocked. :p

:rofl: ;)
  10. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov New Member

ITA. I was :eek: and wondering where on earth these kids are from. Or maybe my age is showing.

I've always thought that the whole thing about getting kids to eat vegetables was overblown and sensationalized as many things tend to be. I still believe there are plenty of American families who don't live that way but as usual the media focuses on the negative.

This sounds kind of :lol: but when I was younger (yep my age is showing) I never heard of anyone not eating any veggies at all. Of course there were always vegetables that people didn't like but in my house growing up and even now I've always eaten a variety of vegetables. We were allowed some snack foods but in moderation. And unlike liv I did not grow up in the country.

I wonder if part of it is the way kids are raised these days. It might not be so much that they hate the vegetables it's that they are testing their parents when they refuse to eat this or that. The parents cave and give them what they want. I've heard of families that cook two or three different meals when they do cook at home because this one does like this and the other doesn't like that.

It was kind of sad in a way to watch.
  11. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I'm sure a lot of it was set up and reshot and edited, but I have no doubt the content is real. I for one believe Jamie is an honest person whose intentions are true, and who would not fake the actual content (ie the kids really don't know what a tomato is) - at the same time, this is the network that produces Extreme Makeover, and the program is produced by Ryan Seacrest, so of course they are going for the big emotional moments. And of course certain folks in the town are backpedaling a bit now that the world is seeing them up close and personal.
  12. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

This has been a passion for many years with Jamie Oliver, to change the eating habits and school menus for children.

Its really a somewhat losing battle, schools don't have enough funding to keep doors open let alone feed the kids!
  13. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

But a show that focused on the positive would be Jamie Oliver telling cafeteria staff and parents, "you're doing really well!" over and over. It might get boring by the 15th episode. :p

I googled and found this pie chart that over 50% of the U.S.A.'s federal budget goes to the military, while a (small?) portion of the human resources section (at 30%) goes to education. (The human resources section also covers health, housing, labour department, etc.)

http://www.warresisters.org/pages/piechart.htm
  14. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

But don't you know that ketchup is a vegetable? Ronald Reagan must be smiling..
  15. Allskate

I'm sure the dumping of all that fat was staged and maybe the scenes where they are teaching the kids how to use utensils, but what else exactly was staged? The part where they are eating pizza and nuggets and pink milk? The part where most of them choose the processed food over the real food? The part where they don't know what the different vegetables are? (If that was staged, then give those first graders some Emmys.)
  16. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

Interesting, but I hasten to add that 30% funding is from the government for schools and the rest comes from local cities through property taxes. That would be interesting where the pie would be cut with that added funding! Bet its over 50%
  17. rfisher

Umm.....the producer picked foods to be served in the cafeteria is all I'll say.

Kids have no idea what's processed food or not, nor do they care. :lol:
  18. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

They don't know and they don't care what processed food is, but that's what they eat and what they like - because that's what they're given at home and at school.

I was seriously bothered by the lack of fresh food offered in that school cafeteria and in the homes they showed.
  19. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

The food that Jamie was cooking and serving? Like the chicken drumstick? What's so staged about that? I thought that's the point about this show.
  20. Allskate

So, the lunch ladies were just pretending that they ordinarily serve pizza and nuggets and "mashed potatoes?" And Jamie didn't really want to serve real chicken and salad, but the producers insisted? I find that hard to believe. If it's true, then hand Alice (the lunch lady) an Emmy now.

Of course most of them don't know what processed food even means and I didn't say they did, but that's not the point. As I said, most kids love processed food and will choose it over real food. Let a kid choose between milk sweetened with corn syrup and regular milk, and most of them will choose the sweetened stuff. Give them a choice between a Twinkie and an apple, and most of them will choose a Twinkie. Nuggets dunked in sweet sauce or real baked chicken? Nuggets will usually win.
  21. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Why won't you say more? Because I can't imagine that Jamie didn't pick the foods he made and served, and the regular cafeteria menu comes from the school board's guidelines.

Obviously. When kids are brought up with nothing but crap at home and at school, of course they don't know, and of course Jamie's efforts didn't go over well. The point was that Jamie was trying different avenues to get healthy food into those kids.

I don't get why that's ":lol:" to you.
  22. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Or they could work the way my family worked - if I didn't like what was served, I didn't eat.

I was a very skinny kid. :saint: (It also didn't help that I had a teeny appetite to begin with.) I was a very picky eater pre-puberty and now I'll try almost anything once. I think to get over picky eating, you've got to let the kid decide when s/he wants to try something, not force it down their throats or beg them or make it a big deal in general. I don't think normal kids are headstrong enough to actually starve themselves to injury just because they're being picky or want to be difficult.

I also wonder about the "cooking two meals because the kids are picky" thing. What's the issue about letting the kid go hungry if they're going to be difficult and not eat what you cook them? Aren't kids getting more overweight nowadays anyway?

It turned out my sister and I liked different things, and we matched perfectly. Example, thick-stalked greens like bok choy. She liked the stalks, I liked the greens, so we'd trade. :lol: When it came to chicken, she preferred white meat, and I liked dark meat.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  23. Anita18

Nondisclosure agreements? The principal could get in trouble if it gets out that s/he (I haven't seen the show) is talking about the show. Dunno if it's as secretive as contest reality shows though. My sister knew a contestant on The Amazing Race and he signed a multimillion-dollar nondisclosure agreement to not speak at all about the results until it aired. And he was good at it too, since it turned out he won. :rofl:
  24. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

If the producer did indeed picked the foods to be served in the cafeteria, I'm pretty sure that they were all likely on the "approved" FDA list. Were the bottles of chocolate and pink milk just brought in for dramatic effect and something that was not previously served to the kids?

Sure most grade school kids have no idea what's "processed food" -- but I agree with Allskate that those 5 and 6 year olds certainly deserve an Emmy for their convincing display of non-knowledge of what a tomato, potato, beet, or cauliflower was. Major acting talent there! I'll give them a pass on the eggplant, because at their age, I wouldn't have recognized one if I had ever encountered one. :shuffle:
  25. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

My husband was disgusted by the kids' lack of knowledge of vegetables until Jamie held up the eggplant. Hubby turned to me with a blank look on his face and shrugged. :rofl:
  26. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Yay, new board!

This reminds me of when I go to the supermarket and have to identify certain veggies like beets or cabbage to the checkout clerk. They like to ring me up for lettuce whenever I buy cabbage.
  27. skatingfan5

And your post reminded me that it's not just 1st grade kids who don't know their fresh produce. I was :eek: when I had to tell a checkout clerk what a nectarine was (or maybe it was a plum -- whichever it was, I couldn't believe they didn't know).
  28. rfisher

All I'm saying is the food served in the cafeteria is the same in the entire state, but there was a lot of tweaking and editing done. I watched some of the episodes being filmed. That's not to take away anything about the premise of many people's unhealthy lifestyles. Just keep in mind this is a reality show, however, the final product on TV was carefully crafted to produce a desired result.
  29. Allskate

Of course there's editing. But you said that it was the producer who chose the food. You were suggesting that the food the school served wasn't what they ordinarily served and that Jamie did not select the food that he wanted to serve. I continue to find that difficult to believe. I'm sure they picked the scenes that were the most eye-opening and I'm sure the school doesn't ordinarily show huge mounds of fat consumed by the kids, but that doesn't mean that the kids aren't eating that kind of food in school or aren't that ignorant about real food, which is really the impression you left with your comment.
  30. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

You have implied that there is something dishonest in what is being presented in the tv show. I don't think that taking what is likely hundreds of hours of footage and choosing segments and arranging them to tell a story is necessarily dishonest.

It's impossible to show everything that happened, so they've chosen what a) tells the story and b) makes for interesting tv. What's the problem with that?
  31. skatingfan5

The program is hardly being presented as a documentary -- it bears as much relation to "reality" as Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. They both take elements of real life and script and package them to be an entertaining program.
  32. silverstars

silverstars New Member

"Reality" or not, I've volunteered in elementary schools and the problem that Jamie is calling attention to is most certainly a wide-spread, important issue. Of course there's going to be editing, but I'm glad that he's making people aware that in a lot of places in this country, there is a serious level of either ignorance towards or inability to follow nutritional standards. When it comes to children, this can lead to serious development issues as well as habits of unhealthy eating that are certainly contributing the US's obesity problems. Nonetheless, I'm sure that you'd find many more people who can talk to you about the wars that we're in than people who can talk at length about ways to solve nutritional deficiencies in school-aged children--or who are even aware of the problem, really.

So, basically, it's annoying when reality TV is staged, but I'd much prefer the impact of this show than, say, the discussions that arise after watching The Hills.
  33. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Ya think? And here I thought they had all that fat on hand not being used... ;)
  34. skatingfan5

I thought they just had it on hand for the next time they served fried chicken for lunch. :p BTW, I just loved the OTT theatrics of burying the family's fryer in the back yard. :respec: Also, the "out of the mouth of babes" answer about what her favorite meal was (supposedly from the healthy recipes Jamie had given her mother): "Pizza!" :lol:
    Jenny and (deleted member) like this.
  35. rfisher

:lol: It was bought and paid for.This show was done for entertainment purposes. The people who appear benefited financially (some more than others) as did the city, so all is well. As I said, he had a state of the art kitchen installed in a local church and they were paid 250K for a new building. Needless to say, the pastor who appears on several episodes was quite happy to perform. People can take it for what they want.

Even documentarys are scripted. I well remember a friend who is a wild life photographer who wanted me to look at a film that had been picked up by Nova. There was a scene with a snake and a mouse. I asked how long they had to wait for that. He answered, uh none really. There was footage of a snake and footage of a mouse. They were edited to appear that the snake was hunting the mouse. I've never watched a wildlife documentary the same since.
  36. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

But snakes do hunt mice?
  37. rfisher

Yes. Just that that particular snake was not hunting that particular mouse. :lol: It was just edited to appear that it did and the narration implied that it was. Which illustrates that things are not always what they seem or are implied to be. :)
  38. Anita18

The magic of editing. :encore:
  39. Allskate

I don't get your comparison to the snake and mouse. You said that the producers chose the food and suggested that this food is not what they ordinarily serve and not what Jamie would choose to serve. That's like saying that snakes don't really hunt mice. Because the main premise of this show is that the kids are not being served great food in their lunches and Jamie is trying to change that because he wants to introduce healthy real food. You're pretty much suggesting that the central premise of the show is false. But you won't back up your claim with any details. If you're going to fundamentally call into question the core of the show with claims of inside information and being there when these scenes were filmed, then spill!
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  40. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I still don't get why you think this is funny, or why you think "all is well" in what is apparently the most unhealthy community in America.

Everybody understands that shows like this are made in a certain way so that they fit into the time limits of television, and that they have to have a certain amount of over the top emotion etc to engage the audience (because a simple show about good nutrition for children would never get ratings in the US, which is part of the irony of all this).

The thing I think you are missing is the overall message of the show, which is nothing to laugh about.