Jamal Othman retires from competition

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Eislauffan, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

Jamal Othman sent out a press release this morning, announcing his retirement from competitive skating. He will study in Malaysia, coach skating there and would still like to skate in shows.

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  2. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Aw, that's too bad.

:(

I hope he becomes a great coach!

:cheer2:

3. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Toes. You gotta keep 'em separated.

Sad to hear, but I wish him success in his new endeavors. I really enjoyed watching him skate.

4. Eislauffan

This is an excerpt from the press release (English translation at the end of the German text).

(...) Sehr, sehr lange habe ich nachgedacht, mich mit den Leuten, die mir nahe stehen, unterhalten, studiert, und auf mein Herz gehört. Ich liebe das Eiskunstlaufen, es hat mich unglaubliches erleben lassen und es hat denjenigen aus mir gemacht, der ich heute bin.
    Es ist sehr schade kann ich an den Europameisterschaften 2011 bei mir zu Hause in Bern nicht mehr auf dem Eis stehen. Aber meine Entscheidung hing von so viel mehr und grösseren Faktoren ab. Es ist Zeit geworden für mich, einen Schritt weiter zu gehen im Leben.
    Als Empfänger des „Limkokwing Foundation for Creative Excellence“ Stipendiums werden mir an einer top modernen Universität der Künste die Studiengebühren gänzlich erlassen. Also werde ich nach Kuala Lumpur ziehen, wo ich das Studium in Event Management beginne.
    Ich schliesse ein Kapitel, habe jedoch auf keinen Fall vor das Eislaufen aus meinem Leben zu verbannen. In Malaysia kann ich als Eislauftrainer meinen Lebensunterhalt bestreiten. Und auch an Schaulaufen wird man mich hoffentlich zwischendurch engagieren, auch in der Schweiz. (...)

Translation
    (...) I’ve thought for a very long time, I talked to people close to me and I listened to my heart. I love skating, thanks to it I was able to experience incredible things and skating made me the person I am today.
    It is a shame that I cannot be on the ice during the European Championships 2011 at home in Bern. However, my decision depended upon more and bigger factors. Time has come for me to take another step forward in my life.
    As the recipient of the “Linkokwing Foundation for Creative Excellent” stipend, I am exempted from all fees at the modern University of Arts. So I will move to Kuala Lumpur to study event management.
    I am closing a chapter, but I definitely won’t exclude skating from my life. I can make a living as a skating coach in Malaysia and hopefully I will be invited once in a while to shows, also in Switzerland. (...)

He also thanks everyone who supported him, especially his coach Jacqueline Kiefer who coached him for 17 years.

Good luck, Jamal, for your future!

geoskate and (deleted member) like this.
  5. shah

shah Shhh...

Stephane, Antoine, Jamal :(...I hope at least Sarah Meier will appear in Bern next year...

6. Eislauffan

Yes, it's really unfortunate for Switzerland that so many of their top skaters are retiring just before Euros in Bern.

7. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that Sarah will continue for Europeans in Bern. She said she wanted to do her best in her home country!

8. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

:( I'm glad he has other plans, and I hope he will be happy and successful in his life. He'll be missed, what a beautiful style on the ice he has.

9. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

:(:wuzrobbed *sigh* The dreaded mass exodus post-2010 Olympics is sadly upon us.

10. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

11. elanor

elanor New Member

Looks like almost the entire Swiss team decided to retire. :(
    It's understandable he chose education. I greatly enjoyed his skating.
    Good luck to Jamal, maybe we will still see him in Art on Ice.

12. Jackie Sparrow

Jackie Sparrow Well-Known Member

The fed should have done some effort to get Euros earlier but they didnt plan ahead which isnt surprising :blah:

13. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

Good luck to Jamal with both his studies and as well as coaching in Malaysia.

14. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

:wuzrobbed

Best of luck to Jamal, sounds like he has a really exciting opportunity. I will miss seeing him on the ice.

15. igniculus

igniculus Well-Known Member

:fragile: :wuzrobbed Such a beautiful and graceful skater! I wish him all the best in his education and hope he can teach many younglings to skate as gorgeous as he did! :saint: :swoon:

16. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Pffff
    Such a talented skater that we didn't see enough at competitions.
    Good luck for the future, we love you ! :cheer2:

17. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

It's really a shame the swiss situation in their own Euros..:(

But then again they have multiple spots: 3 in men, 2 in ladies (2 in pairs also but there's none left), so this is gonna be a HUGE opportunity for the up and comers..

18. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

The sky is black, for all the stars hath fallen from it.

Black is now the color of my soul.

19. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Yes. It still pains me that Stephane didn't stick it out till Euros in Bern

20. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

So at the best the Swiss skaters at Euros will be Meier and Morand, at the worst erm.. no one?

Best of luck to Othman, he will be missed

21. sweetsparky

sweetsparky Pasodoble is coming

I certainly will miss watching him at Bern, I was hoping he would stay competing this season :(

I wish him good luck

22. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Oh it's much more than that. I am sure it has a lot to do with the reduction in the number of skaters at the ISU Championships that has just passed at Congress.

23. iamawake2

iamawake2 Member

I grew up in Malaysia and had no idea there was skating going on there. All the best to Jamal. Out of curiosity, based on his name, is he a Swiss who is a Muslim?

24. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

It hasn't been going on long, they've only started to develop it quite recently.

25. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Awww I really liked him.

26. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

For quite a while we get skaters popping up at our rinks in Melbourne who are pretty good. They are students studying here. So it has been going on quite a while. Probably just not in the top ranks of the sport.

27. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

My feelings, too!

:wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed

Jamal has been a huge favourite of mine. All the best for him in his studies, though!

28. Eislauffan

Malaysia even has joined the ISU, maybe last year or so. The Federation has a website: http://www.isam.my/
    There is figure skating going on in countries that are not members of the ISU and that obviously don't participate in ISU events. There was skating in Malaysia before they joined the ISU. Also, I remember there was an incident at the Winter Universiade in Harbin when non-ISU members sent skaters, Pakistan was one of them, Kuweit and maybe Malaysia as well. They were not eligible to compete, though, as the Winter Universiade is conducted according to ISU rules.
    As for Jamal, his dad is from Malaysia if I remember correctly.

29. belladella

belladella Active Member

I'm going to miss Jamal. I will miss his determination out there on the ice year after year. He added such grace and beauty to competitions. Congratulations to him and good luck in all his future undertakings.

30. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

^^This. It was great that he stuck it out for so long, but I can understand completely if he decided it wasn't enjoyable any more, or if $$$ were an issue too.

He is the sort of skater that doesn't get the big attention or the medals but who is often way more enjoyable to watch....