"Jailbreaking" the Iphone

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Matryeshka, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

So, tomorrow, I have to work an election. We are allowed to have electronic devices, and I'd *really* like to watch TEB. Unfortunately, the election is at a school, and I don't have a password to access the wireless at this school. :wuzrobbed

I was looking at youtube on how to get media player on the iphone, and it said use cydia, but you have to jailbreak the phone. Normally, I'm not really big on breaking the law, but for all the money I pay for an iphone, I feel like I should be able to get a flash player, which other (less expensive) phones can get. And I also know the reason you can't get it is because Apple is greedy (sorry Apple Cultists, but it's damn true). *cue justification tango*

So what I want to know is:
    a) How does one jailbreak a phone
    b) Will it break my phone and or wipe it of all memory
    c) If it goes horribly wrong, will Apple fix it? :shuffle:

2. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

The problem with that is yes it can break and if it does then no, apple won't fix your phone :( I know we all love skating but it's just not worth it, I'd go against it.

Matryeshka and (deleted member) like this.
  3. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

I'm sorry, I don't know the answer to your question, but I just want to ask something...

Why is it illegal to modify your own iphone? :confused: It's your property, you should be able to do whatever you want with it...

Is it really against the law? :confused:

4. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

Yes. All phones have an operating system and Apple's is proprietary. When you jailbreak an iPod, you have to alter proprietary code.

Android's system is based on Linux and it open source (legal to use) to all developers.

eta- I see that Prancer is right, and it has been ruled as not illegal, because people are unlocking it for personal use.

5. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

6. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

Thank you, Prancer :)

7. Matryeshka

If there was a way for individuals to pay for flash players, I would. It's not just for skating; I actually need a flash player on my phone for work. But for today, I'll just follow PBP.

8. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

My DD's iPod screen cracked last month. We have the AppleCare protection plan, so we took it to the Apple Store to have the Genius Bar staff take a look at it. The first thing the guy said when he saw how my DD had arranged her icons and such was "Is this jailbroken? If it's jailbroken, I can't help you, warranty or not." I think it was a stupid answer - jailbreaking the iPod does nothing to the screen - and he just wanted to scare a teenager. (It was not jailbroken and she knew what it meant. She told him off "No, that's a stupid thing to do!")

I think they're under orders to not provide support for any iPod that's been jailbroken. Just FYI.

9. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Matry, there are actually some web browsers legally on the App Store that work for most Flash sites. Search for Photon, Skyfire and Puffin. Also iSwifter but afaik that's iPad only. I don't think that even jailbreaking will get you a better Flash player unfortunately. If that was the case I'd be the first to do it.

I've had no luck with IceNetwork on Skyfire or Puffin but the other two can play it, albeit not near as good as a laptop. So I'd try Photon first. Hope that helps!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  10. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

They will not fix any jailbroken device. And some carriers will automatically put you on their highest data plan whether you like or not if you jailbreak your device; it's written into your user agreement that they can do that.

11. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I think it goes beyond that - this guy acted like the iPod had cooties, lol.

Support is more than repairs. He didn't even want to answer questions like "can I reset this?" and "Can I buy a ..." until he was assured that the iPod wasn't jailbroken.

I wonder what the signs are that you hacked your iPod?

12. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I'm not an expert but I think some jailbroken devices have drastically different (ie, custom) home screens. Then again you'd have to be a right idiot to customize your home screen and not think an Apple Genius would notice. :lol: But I bet it's happened before....

My sister's bf has a jailbroken iPhone and it doesn't bother him at all that he's on the highest data plan. Once when we had no wifi in a cabin out in the middle of the woods, he managed to tether his laptop to his iPhone's data plan, and it was powerful enough to actually be a wifi hotspot for my bf's laptop too. They couldn't use that for TOO long or else AT&T would have noticed the huge data use. :lol: Oh, hackers....

13. Matryeshka

Photon works! :cheer2: When I'm bored at work on Friday, I'll be able to watch COR! :cheer2: