J.K. Rowling's 'The Casual Vacancy'

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by michiruwater, Apr 12, 2012.

1. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Rowling has released a plot synopsis, title, and release date of her first post-Potter novel, The Casual Vacancy, and it's available for pre-order on Amazing.

Apparently it's a black comedy. I kind of like that idea. I won't lie that I'm already excited :shuffle: Rowling's imagination is amazing.

I'm actually surprised to have a new novel from her so soon after Potter ended. I wondered how she would be able to follow such a massive, unprecedented hit, and I'm really curious to see how the book fares, both in sales and reviews.

2. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I am definitely intrigued.

3. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Just put it on my wish-list. I'll definitely be reading it.

4. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

I'm glad it's being described as a black comedy. I really want to like her first non-Harry book.

(As an aside, I've never been able to read even a chapter of the Twilight books, but I quite liked The Host.)

5. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

God, I can't imagine the pressure. It's nearly impossible to imagine anything she'll do now will top the HP series, which will fuel some haters that are envious of her success. Hopefully the larger reading population will view the work as a stand alone writing effort and not compare it to HP.

6. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Hopefully the work will stand on it's own. ;)

7. DBZ

DBZ Well-Known Member

What pressure? The woman is a billionaire. If she never sold another book, she and her entire family (and likely their future families) can live out the rest of their years in comfort and security.

And on top of that, she's already left an indelible legacy in pop culture history that will live on for generations years after we're all dead.

How many people on this earth can say they've achieved that?

I sincerely hope she has enough perspective to conceptualize this new book as nothing more than icing on the gigantic cake she already has.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  8. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can imagine her reaction to someone telling her that her new book sucks.

"Whatever. I wrote Harry Potter. Suck it."

(But I hope it doesn't suck and I'll buy it regardless. Because she wrote Harry Potter.)

9. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

:lol: Love it!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Bostonfan

Of course :p That's what I meant to say.

11. Bostonfan

Why do multimillionaire actors strive to be better than their last wildly popular picture? Why do athletes who've won every accolade thier sport has to offer, come back with the hope of doing it even better? Any artist worth their salt always feels pressure to measure themselves against their last success. I doubt JKR is worried about topping her HP success. But it takes courage not to rest on one's incredibly successful laurels, and that comes with it's own pressure.

12. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

Already pre-ordered from Amazon. Can't wait!

13. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I think JKR knows very well that she will never have the success of HP again. That's pretty much impossible.

This book, however, will answer a different question - "Can JKR write anything that isn't Harry Potter?"

I'm sure she feels the immense pressure of answering that question.

14. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I was excited to finally learn more about the book and you can bet that within 24 hours of release, I'll have a copy in hand. :) I'm not comparing it to HP in any way. Rowling's place in literary history is already set, so she has nothing left to prove. She wrote this book b/c she's a writer and she's always going to be a writer which means she not going to stop writing just b/c her novels have achieved an unprecedented level of success. I don't doubt she has dozens of ideas for other stories scribbled down somewhere that she'd love to work on. I wouldn't be surprised if another 5-10 years down the road she publishes something else that's completely different.

The HP books are my favorite. I have read and re-read all of them no less than 4 times each; they never stop entertaining me. Rowling is a gifted storyteller which is why I know this book will be great. Judging from the synopsis, it's not really something I would read...but b/c I know it's coming from her, I know it will be a good story with a lot of laughs. I love her sense of humor!

I'm excited! I do hope she's working on that HP encyclopedia project she mentioned after DH came out. I'd love to read that...

15. rfisher

rfisher At least I still have Pairs to look forward to

4 times? Lightweight. I'm up to 8 I think. :lol: In fact, I figure I'm due for another round of audio listening. She is a writer and she's doing this because she wants to be more than just the author of HP. The release compared it to Alexander McCall Smith whom I adore. Well, I love the No 1 Ladies Detective series. I love JKR's wit and can't wait to see what she does with adult material.

16. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Sept 30 seems a very long way away ...

17. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

I'm not at all surprised that it's aimed at adults. My guess is that this novel will be intentionally as different from Harry Potter as it can be, within the limits of her literary abilities and quality standards. That will make it difficult for direct comparisons.

18. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

How many of us have the opportunity (and the wealth to fall back on) to make our artistic endeavors our livelihoods?

I've not read any of her HP books or seen the movies, but good on her for continuing to explore her talent and making new fans in the process.

19. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

To be fair, HP was aimed at adults too. JKR thought she was writing adult fiction with HP--it was her publishers that remarketed it because of the storyline and simplistic prose style.

20. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

I consider the first 2 Harry Potter books children's books.Perhaps the first 3. I think with 3,4&5 the style of her pose started to shift to be more for teens and adults. HP 6&7 are more nuanced. So J.K has aged her writing with her readers.I love her writing so to say I'm looking forward to 'The Casual Vacancy' is to put it mildly.

21. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

The Harry Potter novels appealed to both young people and adults.
    Adult reader here who was delighted to see both groups reading, discussing and enjoying them.

22. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Well, with actors, I suspect in the cases of some megastars it's less "art" (except in their minds) than an inability to face being out of the public eye, given what massive attention whores some become even without a picture to promote. It's hard to credit someone saying in an interview how they hate all the attention when...well, they're GIVING the interview, and have enough money they could easily have gone J.D. Salinger on the world years ago.

But in general, yes, when someone could (with sensible accounting and investing, or in Rowling's case just a decent bank to put it all in) never work again a day in their lives, especially with something where a certain set of the readership/critics are just WAITING for "proof" they're a no-talent hack, it takes guts to put something completely different out there for the world to judge. There are the people who think HP was a fluke, who think it was terrible and a classic case of it's popular therefore it sucks, people who are just WAITING for her to try something 'serious' so they can point and laugh and say she's terrible. Unless she's got some massive spending habit she's hiding really well, she's not risking her livelihood, but she's sure putting her ego out there to get kicked around.

23. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

That's the life of all the musical artists that have major hits. No one expects them to stop recording. Of course she isn't going to equal Harry Potter in sales or popularity, but she will sell a profitable amount of every book she ever publishes even if she (to paraphrase) writes about the kitchen sink.

I think it's a real shame that Margaret Mitchell and J.D. Salinger never published another book. They must have had stories in their head.

24. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

And Harper Lee.

25. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I've always wondered about them, so richly talented.

26. Artemis@BC

Just checked on the off chance, and lo and behold my libraray does already have it listed! I'm #12 on 15 copies, so yay!

(Assuming it's as good as I hope/expect it to be I will no doubt eventually buy it, but 2nd hand or paperback, not hot off the press.)

27. NinjaTurtles

NinjaTurtles Teenage Mutant

I remember a few years ago there was rumor of J.K. Rowling writing adult mystery under a different nom de plume. I can see the appeal of using a pseudonym in her situation, she'll receive a lot of attention and criticism due to the success of Harry Potter. Conversely, using her name allows for her huge already formed fan base to buy the book. ;)

28. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

At least 4 times! :D Starting from book 1 to book 7, I'd say about 4 or 5 times. But I've probably read books 4-6 about six times or more...I know I've read book 7 four times. Then at times, I'd randomly pick up a book (usually 6 or 7; my two favs) and just spot read for a couple of chapters.

I'm listening to the audio books too. I really love having them on my iPod. My commute to and from work used to be really long (40-45 mins in the morning, closer to an hour and some change in the afternoon) and having the books to listen to really helped me get through the traffic. My commute is much shorter now (I moved) but I still listen to the books when I drive home to visit my parents or when I go shopping. I'm finishing up book 5 right now...

29. Artemis@BC

If she had written under a pseudonym, I think there's very little chance it would have stayed a secret for very long.

30. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

There are few musicians who can make enough on one album to retire, though. (There aren't many authors who make enough to live on, let alone retire.) Lots of actors, if they lived sensibly instead of ostentatiously, but relatively few writers or musicians. Rowling's a really rare case-she not only got rich, she's richer than the Queen.

And eh. Some writers really do only have one great book in them, or only one they really feel compelled to write and publish. Not many are Stephen King, cranking out novels, or polymaths like Asimov or Clarke, writing fiction and nonfiction in mass quantities.