Ivan Bariev wants to skate for Italy

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 1, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I thought it might be easier to have one thread on this topic? Posts copied over from the Italian and Russian news threads:

2. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I am very surprised because in 18 months he could totally be Russian champion and the number one Russian skater.

3. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

I haven't seen Bariev skate in quite a while, what makes you think he could beat Kovtun and Gachinski in 18 months? Has he learned or is he learning the quadruple jump?

4. caseyedwards

I am not sure of his quad status. He could be switching to Italy so he can be a winner withot having to master a quad. But if he was close to one the Russian field is going to be wide open post plushenko so why would he leave Russia if he had a quad? Gachinski and kovtun are 18th place at their worlds appearances? What kind of special status should that provider them? Surely bariev could beat them. Just like zhan bush or kolyada or whoever. Voronov is Older but maybe him too.

5. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Well-Known Member

It's possible skaters are wanting to leave Russia for reasons other than the depth of the senior ranks in those countries as well, although I'm quite certain that is probably playing a role in skaters like Polina Shelepen and Ivan Bariev wanting to do this.

6. caseyedwards

Maybe there could be a non skating and family reason why he wants to got to Italy and compete for Italy. But if he developed a quad in Italy then overtook any Russian skater that would be really bad for Russia. They all think kovtun is the next big thing in Russian men's skating and may be "who cares" about the 22 year old bariev switching like they were with ovcharova and shelepen in ladies but not iliusheckina in pairs.

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  7. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Valentin Piseev is quoted in this Russian article: http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20130501/659948745.html
    Via Google Translate:

8. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Via Google Translate: http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/10549.html
    Quote by Piseev via Google Translate: http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/10552.html

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  9. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

This suggests that a Federation must release a skater, even if the skater has citizenship in another country, or the new Fed has to apply for an exception under Rule 109. Even if the Russian Fed releases him, as a single he still can't compete in an international until he has not competed for 12 months before July 1 of the season, which won't be true until 2014-15. As Eislauffan has already pointed out, if he competed for Russia internationally in Oct 2012, he has competed within 12 months of 1 July 2013 and can't compete for Italy in 2013-14.

10. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Re-posting from the Russian news thread:
    Bariev's ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00009842.htm

Shelepen's ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00011897.htm

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  11. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Just posted by Maxim Trankov on his Instagram: http://instagram.com/p/gLRO_pOVU-/
    "Im very very happy, about my homie @barielloivan Ivan Bariev-Righini. Now he can compit all ISU events & Sochi 2014 in team Italy! Good luck!"

ETA this late August update from Bariev's official site: http://ivanbariev.com/Englisch/pages/news.html
    Did Bariev compete in Bolzano? He's registered to compete for Italy at Merano Cup, Nov. 14-17, as "Ivan Righini."

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  12. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I know this thread is suppposed to be about Bariev but I am wondering what happened to Shelepen, as she hasn't competed at all this season? She quit? Injured?

13. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

"Righini"? Where does that last name suddenly come from?

14. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

15. analia

analia Active Member

Just curious, which part of him is Italian?

16. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

Apparently Righini is his mother's maiden name. Since his patronym is "Vadimovich", indicating that his father's name is Vadim which is a purely Russian name, I think it's safe to say that his mother must have some Italian roots.

17. mathil

mathil Active Member

Italian media instead is reporting that his father is Italian (last name Righini, obviously) and his mother Russian. He holds double citizenship and lived for some time in Italy when he was small.

18. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

In the above picture posted by Trankov, Bariev himself says that the Righini is his mother's surname.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  19. watchthis!!

watchthis!! Active Member

20. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Oh it's him! I got him confused with another Russian skater.

Bariev has fantastic performance skills. He is a little rough around the edges but he's a born entertainer. I cannot wait to see him compete internationally! :cheer:

21. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Hmmm.....

According to ISU Rule 109:

The plain language of the Rule indicates that if a skater competes in a non-championship-level international competition for one country, he must wait a full year from the July 1 immediately following that competition to compete for a second country, even if he has citizenship.

Bariev-Righini competed for Russia at two Senior "B" competitions in the fall of 2012. Polina Shelepen competed for Russia at four international competitions last season. It would appear that neither one can compete internationally this season, so, unless Shelepen is injured or decided after considerable thought to retire from international competition, I expect that we will be reading in the not too distant future about either a disappointed young man or an outraged young woman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKHUGvde7KU

:watch:

22. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

Axel Doppio, italian source, states: "Nativo di Mosca, ma in possesso di doppia cittadinanza per via delle origini del padre.. " - "Born in Moscow (Bariev) holds dual citizenship, because of (italian) origin on the paternal side".

On Trankov's link Bariev writes: "barielloivan - my mothers surname, now is mine too".

The key word is "now", and suggests to me that his mother remarried, to an italian man, Bariev's step father. Bariev's mother obtained italian citizenship and so did Ivan Bariev, as her son.

Last name "Bariev" (&#1041;&#1072;&#1088;&#1080;&#1077;&#1074;) is a common family name in the former Soviet "southern-eastern" republics with muslim population, Tartarstan, Azherbaijan, Kazhahstan, etc. It comes from an arabic word "Bari" which means "originator/inventor".

While Bariev can pass for an italian looks-wise, his mother probably had him while she was married to a man with roots from the middle east part of USSR or mediterrania.

Whatever he is... he is a VERY attractive young man ... :rollin:
    http://www.f-skater.ru/gallery/bar.bmp

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  23. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Yes, they seem to be applying the Pairs rule, which is being eligible to compete one calendar year after the last competition for another country.

Does no one read the documents?

24. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

25. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Ah I completely forgot they competed for Russia internationally last season.

26. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I know it's not an ISU competition, but didn't the Chinese Fed get to send three Pairs to Jr. Worlds (?) one year, even though they only earned two spots, because they submitted them and the submissions were accepted by the ISU, and, in the end, their scores/placements even counted? Or am I mis-remembering this?

Unless the Italian Fed got an exception, Paul Parkinson doesn't have anything to worry about for Sochi.

27. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Yes, it was 2010 Junior Worlds. After the mistake was discovered, the ISU negated the third Chinese pairs' results: http://www.isuresults.com/results/wjc2010/CAT003RS.HTM

28. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Just one or two wonks on www.fsuniverse.net :eek:

29. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

According to this article from artonice.it posted by Nalachika in the Italian skating/skaters news thread:

In the article he still seems to expect to compete this season internationally.

30. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

the last news of shelepen were, that she is going to represent israel from now on and has been released by the russian fed. but she has to sit out this season because she had international assignments last season if i recall it right.