It's Time Again ~ TCM's 31 Days of Oscar

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by AragornElessar, Feb 1, 2014.

1. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

It starts tomorrow and there are some great movies kicking it off...The Wizard of Oz & Gone W/The Wind are only two of one heck of a starting day this year. One I need to remember for DVD recording purposes is Midnight Sunday night and The Bells of St Mary's. I *love* that movie, but the only copy of I have is from the CBC many years ago, which has commercials in it. Obviously I'd love to have it ad free, so...If I can remember, tomorrow night I'll finally have that ad free copy.

Anastasia is also on later in the month and I need to also remember to get on DVD.

Anyway...It all starts tomorrow morning, so thought I'd get the Annual thread up and running.

For the sked go to www.tcm.comand follow the links.

2. duane

duane New Member

Just watched Mr Smith Goes To Washington for the first time. I am so NOT impressed!!

3. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i'm already exhausted

4. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

:cheer: I love 31 Days of Oscar! Now, to find the time to watch as much as possible...

5. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the Oscar retrospective that was shown last night.

6. duane

duane New Member

I was hoping to see more acceptance speeches/behind-the-scenes/interviews of old Hollywood (1930's - 1960's).

7. duane

duane New Member

Watched Picnic earlier and am now watching Cat On A Hot Tin Roof..IMO two movies badly miscast. William Holden is WAY too old and unattractive as the sexy outsider who the women go ga-ga over in Picnic. Grace Kelly was the first (and IMO a much better) choice for Cat On A Hot Tin Roof.

8. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

I literally came close to crying yesterday afternoon. I come up to use the bathroom and what do I see? Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid!! I thought it was on next week after the Olympics *and* I have blank DVD's for a change in the house. GGGGRRRAAAAAWWWWWLLLLL!!

One of my very favourite movies and I missed getting it again!! :(

9. my little pony

i cant even watch picnic. but ive always thought kim novak was a terrible actress. i could squint and pretend holdren wasnt 100. but i cant squint novak into a better actress.

as for CoaHTF, once you take out the gayness, it makes no sense.

10. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I've heard many people say that, but personally, I don't buy it. Holden is studly enough to make me forget his age. :D

11. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

It's Tennessee Williams. Over the top is the norm lol.

I watched a bit of butch cassady etc. Saw it when it first came out and thought it was IT. but as the years have gone by all I think is wtf-why?? Poor script, dreadful score. The only gd part is when they jump in the river.

Watched a place in the sun waiting for ice dance to start. Shelly Winters was just wonderful. I realize they had to dumb down the book to get a decent script but if you ever have a month to devote solely to the book it s full of incredible nuance and detail that makes the story way hella more compelling and tragic.

Mon am is the umbrella of cherborg which is worth seeing for the novelty, followed by the thomas crown affair featuring extremely fine performance s by steve McQueen and Faye dunaway. Sat I recommend sounder and the snake pit. Mon the 24 is not to be missed jezebel. Thur the 27 catch kirk Douglas in the bad and the beautiful. March 1 is all day/night bonus: in the heat of the night, the graduate, bonnie and clyde.

12. duane

duane New Member

The book, An American Tragedy, is based on the 1906 murder trial/conviction/execution of Chester Gillette.

immoimeme and (deleted member) like this.
  13. immoimeme

Oh thank you! I couldn't think of the name of the book and had no idea it was based on a real life incident.

14. duane

duane New Member

Immoimeme, there is also a movie of the same name (An American Tragedy) that was made in 1931. I've never seen it, but definitely want to--mostly to compare it with the Clift/Taylor APITS remake, and because it was directed by Marlene Dietrich "discoverer" Josef von Sternberg.

15. immoimeme

I would imagine it would be grittier and more realistic. Wouldn't a 1931 film be before the Production Code/Hayes office censorship? Sadly I can't remember that either :p

16. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

Meet Me in St. Louis is on right now. Love that movie, especially Margaret O'Brien.

17. skatesindreams

18. immoimeme

Eys but...I was hoping to start a discussion lol.

19. my little pony

it was. last month when they did all the joan crawford movies, her pre code movies were a lot more suitable for her and interesting than her post code ones. i never really liked her but i think she was miscast a lot.

20. skatesindreams

Every so often, they show "blocks" of Pre-Code films on TCM.

21. my little pony

i love this and still havent accepted the ending, although it may be perfect for the movie.

22. immoimeme

I ended up watching nothing I recommended....because I forgot lol !!!

Watched "the paper chase" ystdy which I've seen many times before, but this time I really really got into John Houseman's performance. I love the scene where they check into the hotel to study for finals lolX1000.

23. immoimeme

I got sucked in to watching "The Mark" ystdy. Stuart Whitman was nominated for best actor with gd reason. I couldn't figure out the deal but about 30 min in the plot became more clear. It's definitely worth watching. Maria Schell was just grrreat too. And Rod Stieger was rockin' an Irish accent!

24. my little pony

i watched that. i thought it was VERY generous to the pedophile. esp the part about his girlfriend. and as usual, rod steiger was the best thing in it.

25. immoimeme

Yeah it was sort of simplistic how having a girlfriend miraculously cured all eh. " The Woodsman" -2004-gave a more realistic spin to that concept.

Lol rod's performance-I kept waiting for him to lapse into "faith 'n begora" stuff but I reckon he knew better. Ready ready to see him again in "in the heat of the night"!!! :)

26. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

I absolutely adore Ship of Fools. There isn't a weak character in the whole thing. Oskar Werner, Simone Signoret, Michael Dunn - and set with the backdrop of early Nazi Germany. Every time I wonder where each character will be 10-15 years later.