It's the Washington Navy yard this time, for shooting rampage

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Vash01, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Not many details yet, but there was a shooting rampage at Washington Navy Yard this morning, as per breaking news. :( Some deaths, including that of one shooter. They are guessing there may be more than one shooters.

http://www.cnn.com/

http://www.nbcnews.com/

2. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

3. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

I was lying on a gurney waiting for my colonoscopy this morning when I heard about this because a couple of people there had kids in schools nearby the Navy Yard and were upset.

Oddly, I can't think of anything that isn't inflammatory to say so I'll try to just say I hope those wounded will be okay and those frightened will be comforted.

4. Moto Guzzi

Moto Guzzi Well-Known Member

LynnW, Buzz, genevieve and 3 others like this.
  5. DFJ

DFJ Well-Known Member

What can be said that hasn't been said already? And nothing ever changes.

6. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

I would have thought that there would be extensive security at such a building that could prevent something like this. This is incredibly tragic for all those who work there and in the vicinity.

7. Moto Guzzi

There is extensive security.

8. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

The official number just released is 12 dead :(

9. DFJ

DFJ Well-Known Member

Could he have worked there and had security clearance? No use guessing - should wait until all is known. This is awful.

The "Consoler in Chief" on duty again? How many times now?

10. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry Moto. I hope your former coworkers are all safe. This is awful. :(

And yes...what else is there to say anymore?

They're saying three shooters, so it doesn't look like a disgruntled former employee who snapped. What's with these shooters thinking hurting others is going to solve their problems?

11. Moto Guzzi

I don't like to speculate but that's what I wonder. You can't just walk or drive onto the Yard without the proper badge. There have been incidents where people have climbed over the wall but they were caught almost immediately.

There are a number of security cameras and that will be a big help in piecing together the sequence of events.

12. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Are you sure about that? All I've read has confirmed one gunman (who was killed) and that there were two other "possible suspects" that were being looked for. The descriptions of these other two are not very specific except that both were said to be wearing "military style" attire and they supposedly were armed (one with a pistol and the other with a rifle or other type of long gun).

ETA: :( That the number of persons killed has tripled since the first report of 4, which was bad enough.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
    BlueRidge and (deleted member) like this.
  13. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I swear, in the space of about 15 minutes the confirmed dead jumped from 6 to 9 to 12. this is awful. :(

14. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

If it was just one shooter, maybe it's a disgruntled former employee. But it sounds like there was more than one shooter, and it is technically a military target, so....

15. Vash01

How awful! I am glad you were not there. Sorry for your former coworkers though. Glad to hear your friend Terrie did not get hurt. She must be so frightened though.

16. NinjaTurtles

NinjaTurtles Teenage Mutant

I have a friend who works down in Navy Yard. :(

17. Vash01

(((Ninja))) I hope your friend is safe

18. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

19. Vash01

Police are still suspecting that two other gunmen may be at large. At least two men carrying guns were identified (one white, one black). Even if one of them is dead, that leaves at least one more shooter still at large.

20. skatingfan5

That leaves at least one other person witnesses said they saw carrying a gun. I still have not read much reported about people who saw more than one person actually doing any shooting. There may well have been more than one person involved in this morning's shooting -- or there may just be confusion about what people saw when the shootings took place. It's definitely the best course of action for the police to not rule out the possibility that there may still be a shooter at large and to take all necessary precautions.

21. Vash01

That's exactly what they are doing.

22. Moto Guzzi

I hope your friend is ok. Do you know which building your friend works in? If your friend isn't a NAVSEA employee, chances are he/she is safe.

23. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Thank goodness they have cancelled the Nationals/Braves game tonight. A lot of the parking is around the perimeter of the Navy yard.

24. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Thoughts and prayers to all the victims and their families.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  25. quartz

quartz the moment is a masterpiece

((((Ninja and Moto)))) I hope you find out soon that your friends are safe.

26. NinjaTurtles

NinjaTurtles Teenage Mutant

Friend is safe! Thanks for the concern everyone.

genevieve and (deleted member) like this.
  27. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

I have tickets for tomorrow night, it wouldn't surprise me if it's still off-limits with ongoing investigation. Missing a game isn't much compared to the latest tragedy.

28. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

They've announced a split double header tommorrow so it is still on as of now. Right now, they are using the parking lots for relatives to pick up people being evacuated from the lock down areas so that should be done tonight, and I guess it is a few blocks away so it shouldn't disturb the investigation in the Yard. I am going tomorrow night too.

29. skatingfan5

I was watching the news for updates on this and sadly learned that the number of lives lost is now up to 13. :(

Apparently the gunman had served in the Navy for four years, from 2007 until his discharge in 2011 and just recently began work as a military contractor. Not sure if this has any relevance at all nor if he did, indeed, "target" his victims as reports have said he seemed to do. In the end, it doesn't really matter much, because no matter what the motive was, it is still a tragedy for the victims and their families. :(

30. Rob

Rob Beach Bum