It's Thanksgiving, Canada!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by lurvylurker, Oct 13, 2013.

1. lurvylurker

lurvylurker Active Member

Happy Thanksgiving weeekend to my fellow Canadians! Is anyone else doing their turkey today?

This year, for the first time, I'm roasting my turkey "the American way". (At least, that's what my family calls it.)

Normally, we do our turkeys in a covered roaster with the lid ALWAYS on, and some water in the bottom to keep the bird moist. But last year (or was it the year before?) on these very boards I learned that wasn't really "roasting" -- that was "pot roasting". I learned that since roasting is a dry cooking method, the only way to truly roast a bird is to do it in an open pan. So that's what I'm doing this year! I have a frozen stuffed butterball sitting on an open roasting pan in my convection oven right now.

I'm already off to a rocky start though. I followed all the directions and put it in the oven with foil pieces lightly covering the breast at one end and the stuffing at the tail end. But when I checked on it an hour later, the foil had blown off the tail end and the skin was already dark brown. Grr! So I've now used a larger piece of foil to cover the whole bird, and it seems to be staying in place. I'm worried though, 'cause I always have trouble with foil sticking to the skin and pulling it off when I remove it. Good thing it tastes just as good, no matter how it looks!

Anyway, happy turkey day!

L.

halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Canadians! :cheer2:

3. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

4. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Best things about being an expat - celebrating all of the holidays :cheer2: Happy Thanksgiving, Canadians and everyone else who wants to celebrate!!

5. Anemone

Anemone Active Member

Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow Canadians!

6. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

My Canadian husband forgot all about it. Thankfully I made him a special dinner without even knowing about it myself. (Boneless pork country ribs, baked beans, & baked potatoes.) Then I saw this thread & went and wished him a Happy Thanksgiving. He had no idea what I was talking about. :lol:

7. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

I was invited to join friends today for turkey, pumpkin pie, etc. Tomorrow I get to do it all over again at someone else's house. Tomorrow I'm even promised some leftovers (for sandwiches).

Giving thanks and counting blessings :cheer: :cheer2:

8. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

Some folks in the US celebrate Columbus Day tomorrow. It is on the same day as Canadian Thanksgiving Day. Churches tend to celebrate the "harvest thanksgiving" on the Sunday of the long weekend.

9. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

We've had perfect fall weather all weekend in Vancouver, and I've been taking advantage of it. Yesterday did a round of some local wineries, breweries, and farm markets with a couple of friends. Today was family T-dinner out in Fort Langley -- but at lunchtime, so we had a nice long walk afterward in the fall sunshine, with the dogs. Bliss.

I made a new recipe for me this year for my turkey substitute: tofu-mushroom-pecan loaf, from the latest Moosewood cookbook. Very yummy, I'll definitely be trying that one again.

10. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Happy Thanksgiving to all! We had the full deal today at my daughter's place. The only bad part about me not cooking is the lack of leftovers!

I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

11. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Happy Thanksgiving to all Canadians! (Sooooo craving turkey right now...)

12. KatieC

KatieC Well-Known Member

Turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, roasted carrots and parsnips, baked potato and apple/pear crisp. I love Thanksgiving. Favourites were the carrots and parsnips, and the crisp. I am so full. :(

13. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Pot roasting pretty much steams the meat, rather than roasts it. But I've certainly never thought of it as the "American way". I'm sure there are many Canadians other than myself who roast rather than steam/pot roast.

I use a broth bath (half chicken stock/half white wine) rather than water at the bottom of my roaster, and always brine the bird first. After trying that method a few years ago, I don't want turkey any other way - so incredibly moist!!

Hope your foil didn't stick to the skin lurvylurker. I always tent the foil loosely, and also rub the bird with olive oil - though that's mostly for colour.

We're having our turkey on Tuesday, as Mr. Japanfan works over the long week-end. It is just the two of us, not a family affair. And that's fine because there is more for us :p- plus, I love having the leftovers and the brined turkey freezes beautifully.

14. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

Happy Thanksgiving :) I'm spending the day on an adventure with my niece and then going for dinner at my parents. No turkey this year though, we're having prime rib :swoon:

15. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Happy Thanksgiving to all the Canadians here! :encore:

16. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

LOL!
    I would have loved your dinner.

17. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

18. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

Happy Thanksgiving my fellow Canadians! Mr. DaveRocks will be busy preparing the big meal all day while I'm at school teaching. Wheeeee! :)

19. liv

liv Well-Known Member

Never heard of it called the American way either... no matter, it's ALL GOOD!!! Yum! Had one turkey on Saturday, leftovers yesterday, another turkey dinner later today... I"m already one full turkey myself!!

Enjoy the day everyone!!

20. halffull

halffull Let the decorating begin :)

Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Canadians :) What a beautiful weekend it was here and we enjoyed a lovely Turkey dinner with all the trimmings yesterday. Gladly enjoying all the leftovers today (and for the next few days lol). Turkey is one of my favourite foods and pumpkin pie too. So much to be Thankful for in my life :). Blessings to all!

Really and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Happy Thanksgiving to my Canadian friends on fsu. I am grateful that I know you (sort of :) )

22. lurvylurker

lurvylurker Active Member

Just popped back in to say: Wow. Most successful turkey I've ever done! :cheer: It was delicious - moist inside with a crispy skin (finally I got a crispy skin! :D) and an added bonus - without a lid on it, it took a lot less time to cook!

Wow Japanfan, that broth bath sounds delicious:swoon:! I'm gonna try that next time (but I won't do the brining part, 'cause Mr. L and I can't have a lot of salt). I did rub the skin with an oil/melted butter/pepper combo, and I made sure to keep the foil loose, so it didn't stick this time.

And yes, I know there are a lot of Canadians who dry roast their birds -- it's just that I've never encountered any of them. In my and Mr. L's extended family and friends circles, everyone always pot roasts. So we all call dry roasting "the American way", as inaccurate as that may be :shuffle: .

Now to the leftovers! I like to make turkey tetrazzini and freeze it for later. And I make stock with the carcass, of course. (Mmm, the house smells so good after a day of simmering stock!) :biggrinbo

L.

23. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Happy Thanksgiving!!
    Ok so here's the problem: I loooove Canada (as some of you may have noticed hehehe), and I would like to cook something for Thanksgiving the next year, something simple because I doubt that my family would care that much about celebrating Thanksgiving (therefore, no big turkeys). Do you know where I could find some recipes?

24. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

allrecipes.com -- amazing place!

25. Braulio

Braulio Well-Known Member

Happy thanksgiving to our fellow canadian fsuers!

26. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I don't where you live, pingu? It is Italy? (I seem to recall you spent time here some years ago and posted about, or did I mix you up with someone else?)

Can you get turkey where you are? You don't have to celebrate Thanksgiving specifically to cook a turkey.

27. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Yep that was me, I live near Milan in Italy :)
    We have turkey here but it's not very common to cook it like you guys do in North America, and my family is pretty "conservative" about food so I am not sure that they would love to eat turkey on Sunday instead of pasta with rag├╣ :)
    I'll look at the website that Really wrote, thanks!!