It's Poppy season again!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Buzz, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

So for those of you in Canada, go get your poppies! The old warriors are out there standing all day hoping we will buy one so give them a sale. It is for a good cause.

http://www.legion.ca/Poppy/campaign_e.cfm

2. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I just hope I find one with a clip-back this year. Last year I set a new record, losing my (first) stick-pin poppy within 30 minutes of buying it! When I bought a second one I secured it with a clip-back Canada flag pin -- but someone was telling me that you could actually get a poppy with with a clip-back centre.

3. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

That brings back memories -- poppies were part of Veteran's Day (or Memorial Day?) when I was growing up back east, but I don't think I ever saw them in California or out here, at least not in the context of Veterans. Glad to hear Canada is keeping the tradition.

4. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Veterans Day; it's a tradition.

The plot of one of my favorite Dorothy L. Sayers mysteries,The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club, revolves around a veteran who is not wearing a poppy on Veterans Day.

5. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I usually put a piece of tape on the back of mine and it stays forever. I have become a bit of an expert at making these things stay. hehehe

6. KatieC

KatieC Well-Known Member

I usually buy two, and after losing those, go back to the one from last year I managed to keep. But I also have an enamel one from the legion. It's really nice and my Dad got it for me.

7. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

It's a Super-Remembrance Day. The moment of silence comes at 11:11:11:11.

It's almost bad etiquette here (Maritimes, Canada) to not have a poppy on your lapel this week.

8. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

I always pin mine on by using my Guardian Angel of Canada pin. A Vet saw that once and told me I couldn't have found a more approriate pin to use. I consider that to be a great compliment. :)

One more thing...I saw earlier tonight an ad for the Scholarship Fund that's been set up for the Children of those who have Fallen. It's called The 11 for 11 Campaign and plays on the donation of $11 dollars w/the date of Remembrance Day, November 11th.

Seeing the ad was made extra poignant as the song that was inspired by the people who turn out on The Highway of Heroes plays during it, it's probally the music video come to think of it, and knowing all of those people will be gathering to pay tribute again tomorrow. We lost a Soldier in Afghanistan a few days ago who was part of the group who are still there and part of the troops training the Afghans. IIRC the news said the Repatriation Ceremony will be happening at 10am at CFB Trenton.

As I said to Mom when the news broke, just when we all thought we wouldn't be hearing that sad news anymore w/the withdrawl during the Summer, it's a horrible reminder that not all of the Canadian Forces serving in Afghanistan have made it home safe and sound as of yet. :(

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  9. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

I'll have my poppy when I fly to Florida later this week.

10. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I didn't take a poppy, but I donated at the hotel when I was there for Skate Canada.

KatieC and (deleted member) like this.
  11. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

I always end up with a ton of poppies because even if I already have one, I feel guilty walking past people selling them without getting one.

12. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

That's how it is in the US on Memorial Day. There is no way I'm walking by a 90 year old war veteran and not putting something in his collection tin.

13. AragornElessar

While looking for something else on CTV Toronto's website last night, I found this...

CTV Toronto ~ Virtual poppy field to help Canadians remember

First I've heard of this website, but what an amazing idea.

Also...I don't know if the US site is doing this as well, but up here Ancestry.ca will be opening up their Canadian Military Records for free all this weekend. I took advantage of the offer from last year and was able to find my Great Uncle's, what we would now know as Enlistment, Records when he joined up for WWI. I'd love to do more digging this year to see if I can't find more of his and also the Records of my two Uncles who served in WWII.

What I'd really love to be able to do though, is find more about my Great Uncle's service record. Obviously I know about my Uncle Elwood, as he made it home, and my Uncle Les who was sadly killed in a training accident in England, but would still love to have copies of those records just for the Family Records. My Great Uncle Hugh though, is a different story.

I do know he fought and survivied the Battle of Vimy Ridge, but I only know that thanks Dad saying that to me when we were watching something about Vimy in the leadup to the 90th Anniversary on our History Channel a few years ago. It was the one on the carvings in the caves underneath the Ridge where the Troops had taken refuge in before the Battle. Some of those carvings are just jawdroppingly exquisite. Especially the Regimental Badges.

Anyway...At the end as the listing of the names of those who had either signed their work or had just carved their names is running past, Dad goes, "I wonder if my Uncle Hugh left his name there?" I replied w/, "Well, you never know Dad. There's got to be a way to find out if..." That's when my brain caught up w/what my ears had just heard, I did a doubletake at Dad and screeched, "WHAT did you just say!?!" :D

If we hadn't been watching that documentary though and Dad hadn't casually mentioned it, I would never have known I had a Great Uncle who fought in WWI, let alone at Vimy. That's how the Family Heritage can end up being lost so easily though.

Anyway...I just thought I'd mention about Ancestry.ca doing another Free Weekend to snoop through their site (what Mom calls it :D ), as it's a great chance to look up any records to add to anyone's Family Archives.

And I know this is the last place I need to say this, but...

Tomorrow morning at the 11th minute, of the 11th hour of the 11th day...Take those two minutes and not only remember, but say Thank You too.

14. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

15. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

I love watching Canadian TV online this time of year since all the anchors, commentators etc. wear poppies. Sometimes it's the little things you miss most being away.

Interesting also how the British poppies are different - I think CTV had a report from London and you could really tell.

16. AragornElessar

I know Lara. Their Poppies have more of a paper look to them and are flat instead of how ours look w/the raised petals and that velour/felt like on them. The British ones also have a leaf as well, which I always think looks nice. Or at least IMO.

17. venja

venja New Member

I don't know what to think about the blinged-out poppies in the UK. The Canadian poppies look so plain compared to these ones (but I do appreciate the simplicity of them).

18. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

It is officially Rememberance Day here is Canada and most english speaking members of the Commonwealth. On the 11-11-11 of every year we pause to remember those who fought in wars past and present for our country. Here is a cute video of two Dieppe survivors and former POWs who were recently reunited after almost 70 years.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...nadian-wwii-pows-reunited-70-years-later?bn=1

And here is a rendition of "The Band Played Waltzing Matilda" according to the CBC it is an appropriate song for Rememberance Day so here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psoTEzpHIbI&feature=related

19. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Lest we forget.

20. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Poppies are sold and worn on Memorial Day in the US. Ours look more the British version.

21. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

22. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I haven't seen them for years here. As a child, in a small town, I used to "sell" them for the American Legion Junior Auxilliary. I don't understand where they've gone. I commented on that on Facebook and the fact that Americans tend not to acknowledge those lost in wars on Veterans Day and am being chewed out mostly via private message now...I don't get it. :(

KatieC and (deleted member) like this.
  23. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

Interestingly, I noticed that Regis Philbin was wearing what appeared to be a Canadian poppy on the show this morning. I remember a conversation another year on the show about us wearing poppies up here on Remembrance Day.

In Ottawa this morning, as has become the custom, after the formal ceremonies had been completed at the National War Memorial and veterans had participated in their march past the Governor General and the Silver Cross Mother, those in the crowd pushed forward to leave their poppies on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier which is situated in front of the War Memorial. This began spontaneously after the ceremonies when the body of an unknown Canadian soldier killed in the First World War was repatriated from Europe and placed in the newly built tomb. Since then it has happened every year on November 11th.

For those who don't know, mothers of those killed while serving in the Canadian Forces, are awarded a special silver cross medal (engraved with the name of their child). Each year, one of the mothers is chosen to represent all of them and comes to Ottawa to lay a wreath on their behalf at the National War Memorial. Hers is the second wreath laid, after that laid for the people of Canada by the Governor General.

24. AragornElessar

victorskid, is it true the flag flying on the Peace Tower today is also given to the Silver Cross Mother? I heard or read that somewhere the last couple of days and kept meaning to come in here and ask about that, but forgot. That would be lovely if true.

Regis has always worn a Poppy on November 11th. Sad to think this is the final time he'll do that.

PDilemma, all I can is that I'm sorry you're getting that flack and (((HUGS))).

25. milanessa

I don't know what kind of chewing out you're getting but poppies have always been a Memorial Day thing in the US, not Veterans Day.

26. Civic

Civic New Member

I'm American but this is the first I've heard of this tradition. I assume Flanders Field poppies are the flower in question so I do understand the association.

27. milanessa

You're not the first American to say they know nothing of poppies. I don't know what to say to that. I see them for sale on the counter in convenience stores, outside grocery and department stores, on street corners...all in May, though, not November. It's almost always the American Legion and VFW selling them.

http://www.cal-mum.com/poppy.htm

28. victorskid

The red "remembrance poppy" has become a familiar emblem of Remembrance Day due to the poem "In Flanders Fields". These poppies bloomed across some of the worst battlefields of Flanders in the First World War, their brilliant red colour an appropriate symbol for the blood spilled in the war. In season, poppies now grow and bloom on the roof of the Canadian War Museum in Ottawa.

Canadian physician and Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae wrote "In Flanders Fields" on 3 May 1915, after he witnessed the death of his friend, Lieutenant Alexis Helmer, 22 years old, the day before. The poem was first published on 8December of that year in the London-based magazine Punch.

I have visited the location, near Ypres, where Col. McCrae wrote the poem in a field medical station. It is located beside one of the many Commonwealth War Grave cemeteries in the area.

Here's the poem:

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
    We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
    In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
    To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
    We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
    In Flanders fields.

29. victorskid

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that and I haven't been able to find anything online about it.

30. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of my grandfather, (1879-1972), today.
    He served as an ambulance driver in France, during the Great War.