It's Holiday Specials Time Again!!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by AragornElessar, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Would you believe I've never seen A Christmas Story? That sour-faced Santa in the commercials kind of freaked me out when I was a kid, and I've never had much of a desire to see it since!

On the other hand, I've seen It's a Wonderful Life about 100,000 times. Well, 100,001, counting tonight.

2. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

Doesn't TBS usually run A Christmas Story on a constant loop for 24 hours Christmas Eve?

3. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

I've never seen it either. Never really wanted to. Five minutes here and there but it never really appealed to me.

4. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I've never seen Miracle on 34th Street, or It's a Wonderful Life. I'm not sure how I've lived for 54 years without seeing them, but I haven't.

Maybe this will be the year that I watch both of them! :)

5. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Once "It's a Wonderful Life" is finished I will watch "Love Actually." I love the mix of old and new but both with wonderful holiday messages.

6. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

If you've got the Seattle stations available to you, The Best of Andy Williams Christmas Special is about to start on Seattle's PBS channel.

7. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I was forced to watch about 30 minutes of the Jeff Dunham Christmas special last night. Talk about epically un-funny. I had to wonder about the huge theatre packed with people laughing uproariously -- were they drugged?

8. AragornElessar

Well, my Mom's happy. Ever since it was first shown about ten years ago on CBS, she needs to see the Roma Downey and Eric McCormack movie Borrowed Hearts every Christmas and I stumbled onto it while Guide Surfing earlier tonight. Mind you, it was half done, but it'll be back on again at 11 right after the showing of It's A Wonderful Life. So she says she's going to stay up to watch "her movie".

I teased her I didn't want to hear a thing over the next two weeks when I talk about how I've *got* to see The Grinch...And Rudolph...And Prep and Landing....And Charlie Brown (again)...And the Alistair Sims version of A Christmas Carol...

:D

For my fellow Canadians, it's our Bravo channel it's on.

And as they were going off the air last night at 11pm, our Telethon was hoping to reach it's goal of $275 Thousand.

It didn't reach it.

We *exceeded* it!!!

As of 11pm last night, the total was at $294 Thousand and a bit and still counting!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

We didn't see our 6pm local news as we were watching the Men's Final at the Canada Cup of Curling, so no idea of what the final tally is, but it was looking good for them make $300 Thousand for the very first time in the History of the Telethon.

W/the price of things these days, they'll need it for those toys.

9. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Watched "It's a Wonderful Life" this afternoon and cried. Such a baby. But really - what a perfectly told story. And I have my favourite lines I wait for each time. And Mr. Accordion especially likes it when George gets punched out in the bar for being mean to the teacher. (I am a teacher so he can relate!)
    Anyhow - I now feel like the Christmas season has begun!

10. Artemis@BC

And only 19 more sleeps til Doctor Who: The Snowmen. :cheer:

Thanks to the fact that my uncle always does Christmas luncheon rather than dinner, I should get home in time to see it same-day.

11. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

It's "Fra-geel_a"!

12. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

OMG y'all, Lifetime's Holiday High School Reunion was brilliant. Watch it. Live it.

13. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I had never watched the original Walton's movie with Patricia Neal and saw it recently. I was moved by the love in that family and John-boy's Christmas gift and the humor as well ( the recipe!) I wonder if young folks today (who have so much) could relate to a story of folks who live frugally out of necessity and do so happily.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  14. A.H.Black

Miracle on 34th Street. The original Tonight. It just started here. My only complaint is it's the colorized version.

15. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

So we watched the Hallmark Hall of Fame premier tonight (Christmas with Holly): Generally these romantic Christmas movies are more miss than hit with me but I enjoyed this film. Maybe it was the three men and little lady theme coupled with the setting--nothing earth shattering just a nice way to spend a couple of hours.

16. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

Christmas in Connecticut just came on after Miracle on 34th St. It's late but CiC is one of the mlp essential holiday films. Christmas doesnt happen if I dont see it.

17. AragornElessar

AACK!! I adore that movie mlp and can't believe I missed it!!!

Heads up fellow Canadians...Grinchy Pooh*** and Max are on tonight at 8pm on the CBC and they're followed by Frosty and his friends trying to get him back to the North Pole before he melts. :D

***Don't ask. I allegedly called him that when I was three or four and it's stuck ever since in this house. :0 :D

18. Artemis@BC

Did anyone catch the new Bublé special last night? I thought the first one from a year or two ago was only so-so: pretty good music but lame in-between stuff. I recorded the new one last night but don't know when I'll get a chance to watch.

19. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

tomorrow (wed) night on tcm they are showing "remember the night" at 9:45 est

Simone411 and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Thanks for the info. I set the autotune for "Remember the Night"! :) AMC is showing "A Christmas Carol" December 16th from 7 - 9:30 p.m. (central), 8 - 10:30 p.m. (eastern).

21. A.H.Black

Which version? Please tell me it's the 1951 Alistair Sim version. Probably not. AMC usually shows the Reginald Owen version.

22. AragornElessar