It's Holiday Specials Time Again!!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by AragornElessar, Nov 29, 2012.

1. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

I know we have a thread like this every year, so thought I'd start this year's.

Tonight we have...

NBC ~ 8pm ~ A Rockefeller Christmas and the lighting of the NYC Christmas Tree w/various singers and guests.

9pm ~ A Saturday Night Live Christmas ~ A bunch of their Classic Christmas/Holiday skits from over the years.

ABC ~ 8pm ~ A Charlie Brown Christmas

That's right peoples!! The one special that for many of us means that it's well and truly Christmas time when it's shown.

And not only is there snow on the ground out here, but Mom picked up Candy Canes yesterday and we still have some Land O Lakes Hot Chocolate mix left from what friends from the States brought us last year.

So I'm going to curl up w/a big ol' mug of Cocoa and my Candy Cane stirring stick and watch Snoopy out spread eagle Brian Boitano. :D

2. Lynn226

Lynn226 Well-Known Member

I'm watching Charlie Brown tonight. I love the Peanuts gang.

3. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

Just as a heads up - "It's a Wonderful life" is on this Saturday, Dec 1st and again on Christmas Eve.

Also, the Rockefeller Christmas tree lighting is supposed to be repeated on Friday.

4. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I'm not watching anything that's broadcast before December 1. Because the last time I checked, Christmas was in December, not in November.

5. suep1963

suep1963 Well-Known Member

Christmas music and specials are fair game after Thanksgiving (US) for me!

6. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I always watch my vintage Andy Williams Christmas specials from the 60's/70's at this time of year. I loved his specials when I was growing up, and it was always fun each year to see his children and ol' Claudine... :D The commercials are fun, too (Kodak, and a really gross-looking-Miracle Whip-jello salad-type-thing...)

Heck, even my 21 year-old daughter likes Andy! So sad that he has now passed on.

7. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

As long as it's after Thanksgiving, I don't care when they start airing the Christmas specials. I watched Charlie Brown Christmas tonight and it still makes me smile just like it always did when I was growing up. I just love that special! :biggrinbo

8. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

9. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

A Charlie Brown Christmas is my all-time favorite Christmas special ever. It just doesn't feel like the holiday season until I see it.

10. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Being a Canadian, the Christmas season for me starts Dec 1, not after Thanksgiving. But I have Charlie Brown and The Grinch on DVD, so I don't have to be at the behest of the network schedules. :D

Here's the schedule for CBC's holiday programs, beginning on Sunday. (PDF) Looking forward to CSOI on Dec 3 (even if it's only an hour!) and Holiday Festival on Ice on Dec 12 (even if it's gotten pretty cheezy). The 22 Minutes holiday special is usually pretty great too.

11. Nan

Nan Just me

I saw the Grinch the other night....let Christmas begin! :lol:

12. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Being American I wish we had a few Canadian shows in regular rotation: Specifically I love the For Better or For Worse holiday cartoons (The Bestest Present and The Christmas Angel.) I gave up any notion of ever seeing them on tv again and bought the dvd's.

13. Artemis@BC

Lucky you! I haven't seen that one broadcast for years. I haven't seen the DVD anywhere either -- tho I see that my library has seasons 1 and 2 of the tv series, so maybe they're there. Thanks for the heads up!

I was, though, able to finally track down a DVD of another perennial favourite of mine, the Welsh-Canadian co-production of A Child's Christmas in Wales (with Denholm Elliot). They do broadcast that one every year on Knowledge Network (BC's public television), but the quality sucks. Alas, the DVD is only slightly better quality. But it doesn't matter, it's still fabulous.

14. duane

duane New Member

I get teary-eyed whenever I hear "Christmas time is here..." sung at the beginning. It SO takes me back to my 1960's childhood.

15. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

One of my all time favorites is "It's A Wonderful Life". I checked the schedule, it's airing December 1st on NBC from 7 - 10 p.m. (central) - 8 - 11 p.m. (eastern)

16. Artemis@BC

I used to watch that one every year too but haven't for a while. A local theatre company has been doing a stage version every December for the past few years, and since I'm a subscriber I've seen it 3 times. (I know, hard to imagine a stage version ... but it's actually excellent. They use some multimedia and incorporate a few shots from the film.) But I gave my tickets away for this year, so I'll probably watch the movie instead.

The same theatre company also does White Christmas every year -- also excellent. And for the first time this year, their 3rd, smaller stage is showing The Santaland Diaries (David Sedaris). Freakin' hilarious.

17. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I have Seasons 1 and 2 and they have their own Christmas episodes....do you know if there were more seasons? I have not found any. And I better correct myself on those two episodes---they are on vhs---I wish they would put them on dvd.

One show I finally found on dvd was Jim Henson's The Christmas Toy.
    I LOVE this mini-musical and love the original characters and the story. I know it was nominated for Emmy Awards but it never seem to catch on in the popular imagination. Too bad...

18. Artemis@BC

I don't think there were more than 2 -- I'm surprised to here there was more than 1 season actually.

So the Christmas episodes you have as part of season 1 and 2 are not "The Bestest Present" and "The Christmas Angel"? Regardless, I'm going to check out the DVDs when I'm at the library tomorrow.

19. AragornElessar

Artemis, check out YTV's sked for the For Better or For Worse specials. They used to be played there every year. One of my favourites I'm so happy to see starting to make a comeback is The Little Drummer Boy. I love that one and it's such a lovely telling of the Christmas Story. It' s become a tradition here to watch it at some point on Christmas Eve ever since I found the DVD about six or seven years ago.

20. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Well if you find something let me know---my vcr is on the fritz. The Disney channel had broadcast them along with a number of other episodes (I remember one Halloween episode where Farley saves the day!)

21. Artemis@BC

Will do, thanks. Just tried a Zap2It search: "For Better or For Worse" brought up Tyler Perry's show :eek:, no results for "Bestest Present," and "Christmas Angel" brough up 2 movies that I needed an insulin shot just reading the descriptions. :eek::eek: But I'll try again in another week or two.

22. JeffClair1979

JeffClair1979 Scissoring Cizeron!

I may be a little overemotional, but the 2004 musical move of A Christmas Carol (music by the incomparable Alan Menken and lyrics by Lynn Ahrens (Ragtime, Once on this Island, et al) is my FAVORITE of the season!

But I'm jaded- I directed a stage version in 2007, a very poignant year/Christmas for me... Still, the movie does a great job capturing the moment and the emotion. It's worth a viewing!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  23. AragornElessar

You know what makes me bawl *every* single time? At the end of Rudohph, when Santa wishes us all a Merry Christmas. Does it to me every single time!!

In about ten minutes it will be December 1st and as it's the first Saturday in December, in Northeastern Ontario that means it's Telethon Day!! The CTV Lions Annual Christmas Telethon to raise money to buy toys for needy children in the area starts at 2pm EST tomorrow afternoon. Thanks to the magic of Satellite TV, all of Canada and where ever in the States you have access to Canadian digital access, can also now watch Telethon and help out. Many Families in the area will be putting up their Trees tomorrow and many kids also go out Carolling to raise money for the Cheer Pot. I did it both as a kid and then as an Adult w/my Brownie Pack I was one of three Leaders of.

For many people, the best part of Telethon is watching the little ones at the Cheer Pot. Some are just too adorable for their own good and others...Well, kids will be kids. One year when asked how they raised the money, this one kid about eight years old looked straight into the Reporter in charge of it that year, crossed his arms and told her in a very obvious tone of voice, "We got it Caroling of course!!" She was so shocked, she didn't know what to say for a couple of seconds...LOL!!

For us however, it's a chance to see Family and Friends either perform, man the phones or bring in donations. One of my cousins is the Manager of one of the Tim Hortons and always brings in that franchise's donation from the Smile cookies. It's basically a smiling face in icing on their Chocolate Chip Cookies, but they certainly bring in the money for Telethon. The last few years, he's brought along his two little ones and w/how busy both he and his wife is, sometimes it's the only time of the year we get a chance to see them, so...Yeah. :)

Anyway, I know not everyone here will see it, but it's part of our Christmas viewing. They had a website last year. Pretty basic, but still a website. I'll have to see if there's been any upgrading of it for this year.

Also...After sharing the link to the Les Mis Wedding Flash Mob link at YouTube in the thread for it, I looked at some of the other Flash Mobs linked on the right side menu and...

YouTube ~ Air Canada Vancouver Christmas Flash Mob

One thing I wasn't sure of the other night was if this was the Charlie Brown that also showed the Prep and Landing Secret Santa short. So happy to see it for the first time this year and very much looking forward to the two specials being shown next week. That's become Must See Holiday Viewing in our house on the list of the old Favourites that have to be seen every year. :)

24. A.H.Black

If anyone sees a broadcast of Handal's Messiah listed anywhere I would appreciate knowing. I know there are tons of performances this time of year, but I never see any that make it to TV.

25. AragornElessar

Doesn't your PBS show it A.H.? The two that we get, Detroit and Seattle, usually do at some point Christmas week.

26. AragornElessar

Forgive the double post, but this calls for it...

Telethon is being streamed live on the CTV Northern Ontario web site this year. Plus they're on Twitter and Facebook too.

Colour me impressed considering how downhill the quality of the station's been going lately...

CTV Northern Ontario Home Page

And follow the links if it doesn't come up right away.

Also, here's the website for the Telethon and it explains the History far better than I could do. :)

The Annual CTV Lions Christmas Telethon

27. A.H.Black

Nope. We get lots of Christmas concerts - nice ones too. Just not the Messiah.

28. A.H.Black

Here's the schedule for Miracle on 34th street - the Edmund Gwenn version

Sun. Dec. 9 10:15 PM AMC
    Mon. Dec. 10 8:00 PM AMC
    Mon. Dec. 10 10:15 PM AMC
    Tue. Dec. 11 8:00 PM AMC
    Tue. Dec. 11 10:15 PM AMC
    Wed. Dec. 12 8:00 PM AMC
    Wed. Dec. 12 10:15 PM AMC
    Thur. Dec. 13 8:00 PM AMC
    Thur. Dec. 13 10:15 PM AMC

White Christmas

AMC Fri, Dec 14, 7:00 PM White Christmas
    AMC Fri, Dec 14, 9:45 PM White Christmas

29. A.H.Black

Just as a reminder - It's a Wonderful Life is on right now.

30. AragornElessar

No A Christmas Story on there this year?

Now all together...

'

:D