It's back but do we care? NHL 2013

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by professordeb, Jan 11, 2013.

1. meggonzo

meggonzo Well-Known Member

I don't get how Buffalo sucks so much when they have the top point scorer in the league? I guess he must be the only one that scores ...

2. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why they suck so bad either. They just keep losing. Over and over again...

3. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

My BF always says that's what he likes about hockey - it takes a team, with chemistry between those in a line (and one good line alone isn't usually enough). A top scorer and solid goaltender help a lot but can't carry on their own.

4. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

NHL GameCentre ~ The Blackhawks Honour Eddie Olzcyk

Congratulations to one of the newest members of the US Hockey Hall of Fame!! :D

Also...In not so great news....Evegeny Malkin went into the boards *hard* during tonight's game. He went off under his own power, but it also looked like his head literally was whipped back into the boards and then back again. Scary to say the least.

5. AragornElessar

Well, it took me this long to find it, but it was tough to find a Leafs Opening where Scotty sang *both* Anthems.

You Tube ~ Remembrance Day Pre-Game Ceremony - Leafs vs Wild - Part 2 of 2 (HD)

He, Michael Burgess and John McDermott really are the three best out of those who do the Anthems for the Leafs. Anyway, I really wanted everyone to know exactly how Scott sounded on Opening Night at the ACC. I'm just sad it took me this long to find it.

6. meggonzo

Did anyone else watch the Detroit-Chicago game this afternoon on NBC? What a thriller! I thought Chicago was going to get their first regulation loss, but ended up winning in a shoot out. I wanted to see them finally lose but found myself rooting for them as I'm not much of a Detroit fan. My boss loves Patrick Kane so I'm sure he'll be happy since Kane got the tying goal late in the 3rd and then got the shoot out goal to win. My boss and I always like to pick the opposite teams in playoffs and tournaments just because we don't like having to root for the same team, so I was hoping for Chicago to win but not for Patrick Kane to score, haha. I live in Minnesota so we'll both be rooting for the Wild to take down Chicago on Tuesday!

7. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I don't even follow hockey, but I really needed to share this photo from the SI Vault Twitter. I believe that fur coat would have been better suited to Tarasova.

8. Alixana

Alixana Definitely NOT a sonogram

He looks like he grabbed his mom's coat! :lol:

9. AragornElessar

:( :( :(

Farewell oh Captain my Captain...Enjoy playing w/Sid and Geno in Pittsburgh!!

Which considering the direction the Flames are flaming into, I'm sure Iggy will greatly enjoy his time in Pittsburgh.

Still...Sigh!! :(

10. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Well if he had to go anywhere, I was hoping it would be Pittsburgh.

11. AragornElessar

Oh, same here, but it still hurts to see Iggy go. :(

However, it was expected. Now, if the Leafs go stupid and actually make a deal for Luongo, that will make me well and truly heart sick, because that guy is the last thing the Buds need right now. We're on a nice little streak and I think Reimer will be just fine and doesn't deserve to be a backup.

The Leafs also don't need the mill stone that is the remander of Roberto's contract either, so hopefully they don't pull the string on that rumour and turn it into fact.

12. AragornElessar

I've never started a post by quoting myself, but...

Now, what did we learn from Roberto today that we already knew?

Indeed it does, but you signed it M'dear and were getting much praise for how you were handling things this Season being pushed back to a Back up role pretty much, but you let frustration win out today and...

Anyone else still wondering why I wasn't happy about the rumours? I was doing a Hallelujah dance when the deadline came and went w/out hearing about Luongo about to wear a Leafs jersey. Do we really need that in our Dressing Room right now? Nope, nope and NOPE!!

I get why Dave Nonnis was going for a Veteran Goalie, because Reimer and Scrivens have zilch experience at the Playoffs at the NHL level and he wanted someone there to try and steer the "kids" a bit and have a steadying presence there. I get all of that and, on that level, I also understand it. However, our young Goalies aren't going to get that experience if they don't even get a chance *to* experience it.

Now maybe I'm a bit naive here, but I truly do think we'll be okay in Goal. It's our defence we *really* needed to try and work something out and considering what this kid coming from the Av's did when he was paired w/John-Michael Liles back in the day in Colorado and I'm excited to see him play and what'll happen tomorrow night.

So I'm good w/what the Leafs did and didn't do today.

My Flames OTOH...Sigh... :( Sad. Just out and out sad.

13. AragornElessar

Congratulations to our Chicago Blackhawks fans here at FSU on becoming the first team to clinch a Playoff Spot!!

And good on Jonathan Toews for what he did at the Ceremonial Face Off. It was Hockey Fights Cancer night and the little guy who did the honours is fighting Leukaemia. Not only did Captain Serious give this lil guy the puck, as all of the Ceremonial Puck Droppers get as a keepsake of the moment, but then he gives the kid his game stick too.

Now that Ladies and Gents, *that* is a Class Act and Man.

ETA ~ Here's the video of the Puck Drop!!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  14. Alixana

That little guy is adorable. J. Toews rocks.

15. professordeb

OHHHHHHH my word. The Leafs win again. Pulled a rabbit out of their -- hat? Is it actually possible? Could they? Will they?

16. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

Not likely. :p :shuffle:

17. Alixana

Yes!!!!! (please .. someday before dementia sets in and I can still understand what's happening!)

18. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I was at the game last night - the Leafs didn't have to pull anything out of a hat; they had it from middle of the first period onward. Lundqvist was definitely not himself.

19. professordeb

Now Habs :D -- you do know I was referring to the Leafs making the playoffs and nothing more, right? You are such a tease but I'll let it go cause you are named after my other fav team who also seems to be playoff bound.

20. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

;)

They certainly appear to be playoff bound.

21. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

Unlike the Panthers. They are tied for 2nd fewest points in the entire NHL (32). Only Colorado has fewer (29). Another year with no playoffs. Last season was a mistake, this season it is back to true form......:(

NJL (...POOP!...plus, the Marlins, as expected, have the worst start in MLB this year....1 win, lost 7.....:wall:...)

22. meggonzo

Neil - hopefully Florida picks up with Nick Bjugstad playing for them now. I hope he does well! I wish he would have stayed for his last year in college, but good players never stay around for 4 years.

23. meggonzo

Turned on my TV and still had it on NBC Sports Network after the Wild game last night. Devils and Bruins are playing and Bruins are already up 3-0 before the 1st period is even over. Damn, the Devils are terrible without Kovalchuk. I'm going to be really sad if they miss out on the playoffs and I don't get to see his glorious beard again. :(

24. professordeb

Those pesky guys in white and blue (aka the Maple Leafs) managed to sneak out a point from the Rangers last night in MSG. Keeps them in 5th place. Talking heads last night on TSN were suggesting that the "Buds" would probably prefer that the BBB (Big Bad Bruins) finish first in the division so the Leafs could play the Habs. They feel it would be a better match-up since both teams play a similar style of game. Hmmmm ... not sure how I feel about that pairing since I like the Leafs and the Habs.

25. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

26. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, they're probably right that the Habs would be an easier opponent. And good incentive for Montreal to get two points tonight against the Sabres.

27. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

28. AragornElessar

Congratulations to Joe Sakic, Member of the 2013 Class of Inductees to Canada's Sports Hall of Fame!!!!

I could post many videos of Joe's career from over at YouTube, but there's one moment out of all of them, that shows what a Class Act the man is....

As Captain, it was his right to lift it first, but instead....

:D :D :D

This is tied w/the Flames making Lanny McDonald a Stanley Cup Champion, as my all time favourite Stanley Cup Finals Moment.

Congratulations Joe!!! Well Deserved!!!

29. J-Ro

J-Ro Active Member

I remember this! Everybody in Boston was rooting for the Avalanche that year because everybody loved Ray Bourque and felt that after 20 incredible years with the Bruins, he deserved the Stanley Cup and that the Jacobs brothers (owners of the Bruins) could go take a hike (I'm being polite.). And Ray Bourque brought the Stanley Cup to City Hall Plaza in Boston. You'd have thought the Bruins had won the Cup by the turnout.

30. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

The Oilers are announcing this morning that they've fired GM Tambellini. While this is long overdue, at this point, it's kind of like spitting on a house fire.