It's back but do we care? NHL 2013

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by professordeb, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I am going to the Phoenix Coyotes home opener tonight. I am excited.

meggonzo and (deleted member) like this.
  2. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

3. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

Quoting myself.... the Canucks are now 0-2, and I'm thrilled. :saint:
    Go Oilers!

4. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

The Coyotes are also 0-2 and I am not thrilled.

The Coyotes have a good front office and a good coach. Hopefully they will figure out soon how to fix the problems. This year the Coyotes don't seem to play defense like they used to. They are getting away from what made them successful last 3 years.

5. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

ITA! :cheer2::cheer2:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  6. AragornElessar

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  7. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

I saw the opening and to my surprise the "puck drop" began in outer space with Canada's man in space -- who happens to be not only a big Maple Leafs fan but from my home town where our dinky airport is named after him -- Chris Hadfield!!! I was so excited. Then to see the puck passed off to retired Maple Leafs -- Sittler being my fav -- and ending with Jonny Bower taking the puck out to centre ice. WOW!!! Colour me impressed. As I watched it, I made the comment to my son that it reminded me of the opening ceremonies for the 2012 Olympics in London where HRM got that started. Just totally cool -- at least from my perspective.

8. AragornElessar

For those who didn't see it...

Leafs.com ~ The Puck Drop From Space

Too. Freaking. AWESOME!!!! :D :D :D :D

ETA ~ More from tonight at the ACC...

Leafs.com ~ Opening Ceremonies of the 2013 Leafs Home Opener

However, it's not the complete Ceremony. It ends after the introduction of the team to the fans. Still looking for 2nd Lieut Scotty Newlands and the Anthems. He really is one of the best Anthem singers in the entire NHL IMO.

And HOLY CRAP!!! What a game the Red Wings and Blue Jackets put on tonight for the fans. Wow oh wow!!!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  9. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I guess you are kidding? The LA Kings have been a team since the 67-68 season, coming in at the same time as Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and St. Louis. I think the city has proven itself worthy of a team in 45 years, no?

Besides, I'm sure half the ticketholders are ex pat Canadians anyway. :)

10. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

The Kings front office did a lot of great work last season to try and drum up fan support. Their Twitter account took off and they really got some good buzz going around the team. Of course, winning the Stanley Cup didn't hurt. ;)
    I hope the lockout didn't hurt their momentum.

11. AragornElessar

They are the team I felt sorry for the most w/the lockout. A team that's not in a traditional market, they finally get the buzz going and the building filled for every home game, then win the Stanley Cup and then....

As w/you, I really hope the lockout did kill not all the good of last Season.

12. AragornElessar

Class move by the Avs...

Remembering and Honouring Jessica Redfield Ghawi

Jessica was one of the victims of the Aurora Theatre shooting last summer. She was an up and coming Sports Reporter and was a huge Hockey fan. She was in the planning stages of putting together a drive of some sorts to collect used, but still in good shape, hockey equipment for the kids who lost everything in the wildfires last summer.

She really had a bright future ahead of her. Good on the Avs doing this.

13. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

What's hurt the momentum is the lousy play of Penner, Gagne, Richards and Carter. :(

Kings Mgmt did about the least amount of giveaways after the lockout than any team, because of the goodwill in town and of course the great feeling winning the Cup brought. And yes, their Twitter account is quite something. A great follow!

Kings at the Oilers tonight. Gotta beat this young team.

14. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I was at the game last night... it was the strangest, most bizarre game I've ever seen in my life.

15. AragornElessar

16. AragornElessar

Major OUCH here...

CBC Sports ~ Hockey Night In Canada ~ Did you see that? ~ Avs' Gabriel Landeskog gets crunched

Congrats to my other team, the Calgary Flames, on their first win of the season!!!

Did anyone else watch the Wild/Blues game that just ended about ten minutes ago? Wow!! Really great game w/a bit of everything. Great saves, great goals and OT to boot!! Which the Blues won at home. Can't ask for much more.

Especially when neither team are the ones I cheer for. ;) :D

17. meggonzo

meggonzo Well-Known Member

I watched the Wild/Blues game, but as a Wild fan, I was hoping for a different result! At least they got one point for OT ...

18. AragornElessar

meggonzo, been there and done that myself far too many times. Which is why I was able to enjoy the game so much. I didn't have any stake in it other an enjoyable time of watching great hockey. :)

Did anyone else see the LA Kings' Stanley Cup Rings today? They were made by Tiffany, so the running joke's been, "Did they come in the pretty blue boxes?" :)

They are very blingy and sparkly and Oooooh la la!!! :D

19. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

With apologies to Vash, I have no idea why the NHL insists on keeping a team in Phoenix. The arena is more than half empty tonight. Where is the fan support that we saw during the playoffs?

20. meggonzo

Sorry bout that, Chicago! :D

21. AragornElessar

22. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Way to blow a lead Habs. :wall: Four minute penalty (resulting in PP Sabres goal) seriously? And then let the Sabres tie in the last two seconds?

I hope there's a better backup to Price than Budaj.

23. meggonzo

Wild just can't seem to catch a break lately :(

24. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Not an uber hockey fan here, but I'm glad the lockout is over. I'm very happy for our CA cousins who are diehard LA Kings fans.

25. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

Thanks, 6/11/12 was the ending of 23 years of agony for this Kings fan.. :respec:

26. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

^ Then I'm happy for you too! :cheer:

Our cousins got engaged @ a Kings game with the bride to be's parents in attendance. The proposal was shown on the jumbotron. Their "save the date" card was done in the form of a King's game ticket.

My brother in law, born in Philly but lives in Albany, NY must also be thrilled for the season to be back. He's a diehard Flyers' fan (also for the Phillies and Eagles).

We did visit the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto, CA. Cool place, and it was fun to pose with the Stanley Cup (even though it may have been a replica).

27. AragornElessar

28. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Looks like I was overly harsh on Budaj. Nice job the last two games with Price out! Glad to see the Habs downward slide ended at least for now.

29. AragornElessar

And I can say the same about Scrivens Lara. Or as he's become known on the Twitter feed for the Leafs fans, Big Ben. :D Two shutouts in a row is pretty darned impressive.

It also shuts up the Luongo talk too. Seeing him in a Leafs jersey is not something I'd like to see. If he can't take the pressure in Vancouver, then he certainly won't be able to handle it one of the two most important Hockey Cities in Canada.

Anyway...I just saw this and thought I'd share. They say there's a first time for everything and this is certainly that for me...

NHL GameCentre ~ Florida Panthers player gets glove caught in glass

30. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member