It's back but do we care? NHL 2013

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by professordeb, Jan 11, 2013.

1. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Well it seems the boys will be taking to the ice soon but I would say I'm not in any hurry to see them there. After the long drawn-out affair, I'm somewhat bitter with them all and at this point don't see a lot of reason to say "yipee". More like I'm indifferent and likely to only the occassional game if nothing better is on. Not that I ever spent money on any team or attended any games but I did root for certain teams. Now it's just meh! whatever.

And Bettman -- don't get me started. I don't buy or believe his "apology" and am hoping that he leaves much sooner than later.

2. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

Well, Toronto did put a little buzz back in the building with the firing of Brian Burke, their GM. Love him or hate him, they took some attention away from the Jays! :lol:

3. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I missed hockey, and hate basketball so I imagine it will be back on our tv. :lol:

4. SandraMGfan

SandraMGfan Active Member

I hated the lockout, but this is the business part of hockey... The game is back, and I've never been so happy to have to put my alarm clock at 3 a.m. again! :)
    And there's the whole Luongo drama going on, which should be interesting to follow!

5. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Can't wait for my Leafs and Flames to hit the ice again!!

Especially my Leafs as the ABB era begins. Today's Presser has reenforced my opinion of Burkie...Buh BYE and here's hoping the door hits his butt HARD on his way out too.

The last time I was this happy over a Leafs firing was last year when they got rid of Burkie's buddy Wilson. Thank God Bell and Rogers are now the owners of the Team and not the Teachers!!!

6. AragornElessar

The Memo of Understanding has been signed by both parties. The Lockout is now OFFICIALLY OVER!!!!

2 hrs now need to pass before trades can be made. This could be an interesting night once 1am EST is reached.

7. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I'm excited. I was angry and indifferent during the lockout, but whatever. I love hockey, I love the Oilers, and I'm excited for the season to (finally) get going!

Fun note - a bunch of the Oilers players are tweeting today that they're organizing a pick-up game of shinny at a local park this afternoon. Fun!

8. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Go Oilers Go! Wish I could get down to Hawrelak today but will have to make do with coverage on the news :). So glad the season is finally starting!

9. AragornElessar

Saw that on Twitter earlier today and good for them to do it. That's one way to get the fans back.

My other team, and one of your most hated ;) , the Calgary Flames put together a bunch of players and Harvey the Hound and did a Visit the Minor League Arenas Tour today. Harvey looked exhausted in the last Tweet. :D Once again, great idea!!

Oh and last night Phil Pritchard, otherwise known as The Keeper of the Cup, tweeted a picture of the Cup in LA. It's the first time the Kings have seen it since they were added to the Cup and the reactions on their faces when pointing out their names? Priceless!! :)

10. NancyNC

NancyNC Well-Known Member

I was annoyed at both sides during the lockout and just wanted them to get it done. I never made threats of never watching hockey again, I couldn't, I love the game. I can't wait for next Tuesday and the first home game! :)

11. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

The Wings played a scrimmage with their farm team at Compuware arena yesterday. I'd have gone if I wasn't busy. It "sold out" (tickets were free) an hour before the scrimmage was supposed to start. Comments about the fans:

http://www.pressandguide.com/articl...oc50f6ba3ba7811191334283.txt?viewmode=default

12. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

Well, when you wait 23 years for your team to win the Cup, heck yeah you want the league to start back up again ASAP so you can defend!

Banner being raised at the Staples Center Saturday at noon!! Woo-Hoo :respec:

13. AragornElessar

Congratulations to Henrik Zettenburg, the new Captain of the Detroit Red Wings!!

Also the first two games at home, the Calgary Flames 50-50 draw win will be $50,000 regardless.

Nice Thank You gift.

14. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Well, barring the unexpected I'll be moving back to Montreal in a couple weeks. And that being the case I'm darned happy I'll have hockey on the TV. Slingbox feeds definitely don't cut it compared to HD. Go Habs!

15. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

The Panthers play down the street from me. I've been to one preseason game since they've existed. I'm going to their opening home game Saturday night. A bunch of fellow soccer fans are going, too. Upper deck in the corner is a $20 ticket. It should be fun.

NJL

16. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I care! Our Coyotes are back on the ice, and most probably I am going to their first game on the 20th.

17. AragornElessar

18. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I really haven't missed it and I won't really pay attention until the Canucks get to the playoffs but I'm not all that mad. I certainly don't blame the players--it's not like they are forcing the GM's to pay them those amounts. And I don't really blame any of the Canadian teams--most of them were doing fine beforehand. They're a minority to those US cities that have no business having a hockey team.

19. KHenry14

Starting with both Florida teams, the team in Phoenix, and the one in Columbus....:rolleyes:

20. NeilJLeonard

Thanks we appreciate your support...:mad:

NJL......:p

21. AragornElessar

Pure Class this...

YouTube ~ The UBC Thunderbirds Hockey Team Thanks The Vancouver Canucks

As I said, pure class and good on em!!

ETA ~ I just saw this thanks to Bob McZenzie on Twitter

That says it all right there....ROTFLOL!!!

ETAA ~ This one's for KHenry...

LA Kings News ~ My Stanley Cup Story - Matt Greene

About the tent party, due to the downpour, at his Parents......

I have a feeling they did. :D

*ahem*

Hello out there...We're on the air...IT'S HOCKEY NIGHT TONIGHT!!!!

Also....Happy 60th Anniversary Hockey Night in Canada!!!!!

One last thing, and this time I really really mean it too, for tonight/this morning....

GO LEAFS GO!!!

Thank the HockeyGods I can have the game on the laptop and Cdns in HD on the big screen in the Rec Room, so I can sort of watch both. :D

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  22. NeilJLeonard

You forgot to mention the team from LA......:p

NJL

23. meggonzo

meggonzo Well-Known Member

Hockey Day Minnesota! Can't wait to see Parise and Suter play with the Wild! :)

24. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

The team in Phoenix (Coyotes) played in the conference championship last year, and there is excitement this year. The NBA team here just fired their head coach for having the worst record in the western conference. The NFL team fired their head coach and GM just a few weeks ago. The baseball season has not started. Right now the NHL team is the only pro sports team worth watching here. I am not really into college sports. I left college long ago and although I support ASU, I have no actual ties with it (other than a minor one- teaching 2 courses for one semester).

25. KHenry14

You mean the Ducks, right?? :hat1:

26. NancyNC

NancyNC Well-Known Member

Oh goody, the season hadn't even started yet and we get slams on the unworthy, unwashed teams who "don't belong". :rolleyes:

Now I'm waiting to see if our off season pickups can make up for all those poor early season starts we have had the past few seasons...

27. NeilJLeonard

Carolina? Not at the BB&T tonight. Panthers 5-1 Hurricanes in front of a 19,688 sellout crowd. To say the joint was rockin' is an understatement. Good times, but I was freezing by games end.

NJL

28. AragornElessar

Best part of the night...Even better than hockey being back...Even better than the Leafs beating the Habs at home...

During the Opening in Montreal w/the past great Captains passing around the Torch, seeing it given to Mr. Jean Beliveau and that gentleman holding it up high and the torch not wavering a second for the time he held it.

Considering how serious the stroke he suffered last year was, and this is the first time since then that I've seen him, he looked really, really great. Yes, the one side of his face does droop a bit, but considering....That to me was the best part of the night. :)

29. NeilJLeonard

Both....:p

NJL

30. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

Cue the panic in Vancouver... :EVILLE:

meggonzo and (deleted member) like this.