It's an Artist's season for Denis Ten

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by reut, Oct 28, 2012.

1. reut

reut Active Member

My interview with Denis Ten:
    http://www.absoluteskating.com/interviews/2012denisten.html

We talked about changes in his training routine since Frank moved to Palm Springs, about his work with with Lambiel this summer in Oberstdorf, about the situation with sport in Kazakhstan.
    And we talked a lot about his programs and the concept behind them. Since I saw some people (not here) reacting to them with: "Why is he using the same music in both programs? Did he just spread his short for the long? Is his exhibition to the same music too?" etc I thought I should try to "spread the word" giving him a chance to explain himself. :)

Nan and (deleted member) like this.
  2. lulu

lulu New Member

Thank you :) What an excellent interview, I love the idea of Ten's SP & LP forming a coherent whole-very interesting concept. It's always great to hear from Lambiel as well.

3. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Many thanks for the interview!

4. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Wonderful interview! I have always wondered whether you could portray a story throughout the Short and Long Program. :)

5. lulu

lulu New Member

It really is a creative idea, I think Candeloro did something similar in 1994 for his "Godfather" programs-portraying the young Vito Corleone in the SP and continue the same theme in the LP by playing the role of the older version of Vito.
    :)

6. Nan

Nan Just me

Great read. Thanks! :)

7. Eyre

Eyre New Member

Thank you very much for the interview! Love it!

8. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Bumping this thread up with a new article: Denis Ten shared his tricks of the trade with young skaters of Astana
    Excerpt:
    Related article from late November 2012: Samruk-Kazyna will support Kazakhstan’s Denis Ten
    Excerpt:

9. Sylvia

Thought it was a fortuitous time to bump up this old thread! ;)

Re-posting this May 2012 interview with Denis Ten at the end of the 2011-12 season: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120521&content_id=31888288&vkey=ice_news

Relevant excerpt from Phil Hersh's article:
    :lol: at the quote I bolded above.

British Eurosport's Worlds videos:
    SP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXqbfzY5HHk
    FS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZppBu-yeihM

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  10. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Congrats to Ten. Way to go. Kazakhstan must be so proud.

11. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Congrats to Denis on his silver medal @ Worlds. As much as I like Patrick, Denis should have won the title. Glad he won the free skate!

12. Triple Axel

Triple Axel New Member

It should have been "A World Champion's Season for Dennis Ten!!" So sorry this kid didn't win, when it was clear to everyone watching (except the judges) that he should have!! But a World Silver is nothing to be ashamed of. He should be Uber proud...gave me chills just watching him skate his programs..(and I'm a Gachinski fan!!) LOVE HIM!!

13. reut

reut Active Member

And an exhibition program:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIVAJGjGv_8

+ message on IG
    http://instagram.com/p/XG1U2bu465/
    "I was pretty nervous (but happy) performing it in front of Kurt. [I also hope @slambiel was satisfied with his student]"

About not getting the gold (or almost getting the gold) Denis had a very nice, wise and diplomatic interview (Russian) where he among other things he answered to the question if he wuz robbed:

14. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Denis Ten has always come across as a mensch.

15. shine

shine Well-Known Member

I love me some Denis Ten :swoon:

16. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

It is ridiculous how many time's I've seen both his short and long programs. :swoon:

His long IMO was the best piece of choreography I saw this season for the men. :respec: I'm not the biggest fan of playful programs because I often find that skater's can come across as contrived or cheesy, but IMO Denis struck the perfect note with his long program. The choreography, jumps and interpretation were just seamless.

Congratulations to Denis Ten and here's hoping he continues the momentum and growth heading into next season :cheer2:

17. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Very happy for Denis that he could finally skate his full potential and went home with a world medal at the end of three seasons where event skating decently seemed to be quite a big problem for him most of the time. Truly hoping this unexpected silver was not a fluke and I will see him with more medals round his neck in the years to come. Go Denis.:kickass:

18. Sylvia

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  19. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting these articles, Sylvia. Denis was THE story at these Worlds and he seems like such a mature and gracious guy (especially for a 19-year-old).

20. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

I add my congratulations to Denis, and kudos also to his team of coaches/ choreographers/ mentors!

This season I have been in love with the concept behind Denis' programs and how they were put together for him so beautifully. I've always enjoyed Denis' skating. I so wished he'd be able to skate these two programs to the full effect of their beauty, and he did above and beyond my expectations. :)

As I mentioned in another thread:

Fabulous performances by Denis! Love his programs, love the concept, love D10's personal victory!!! I also love Denis' enthusiasm and the joy and patriotism he exudes, as well as the gratitude he extends to all those congratulating him. Continue taking the high road in high style Denis ...

Always remember your true self and the power, passion and precision that abide within.

21. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

Post Worlds TV interview with Denis after his arrival in Kazakhstan (in Russian): http://bnews.kz/ru/videonews/post/130108/
    He talks about how important it is for him to show the world where Kazakhstan is, comments on how his former coaches (Elena Buianova, Tatiana Tarasova), other athletes (including Evan Lysacek, Evgeni Plushenko) congratulated him.
    He said that probably this was his best performance to date but there is no limit for perfection and he has a lot of work ahead of him. He mentioned a new fitness trainer in Calgary. He talks about how Frank Carroll motivated him for Worlds after the tough start of the season and how upset he was to hear at one event that he is "a skater from a country that doesn't exist". Then he promised to himself that he would make Kazakhstan known to the world. Well done, Denis!

22. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Belated congratulations to this wonderful young skater! This medal came sooner than probably anyone expected, but it was no fluke. This intense, beautiful, and determined young man has, to appropriate a line of Scott Hamilton's that Scott often applied to the wrong skaters, "everything you want to see in a [men's] skater" -- including a noble spirit. He is one of those who makes the IJS look good.

I wonder if he and Yu Na are friends (given his Korean heritage).

23. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Fingers crossed!!! :) He just needs to take the confidence gained and not let this medal weigh him down with expectations.

24. Sylvia

25. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ Nice close-up shot of Denis' expressive hands, while he's just sitting there being interviewed. I also love Denis' dimple in his right cheek. :-,)

Another look at D10's 2013 Worlds programs:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXqbfzY5HHk The Artist sp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=ZppBu-yeihM&feature=fvwp The Artist fp I don't think the commentators actually realize that some of the fist-pumping and celebrating is actually part of the character and theme of the program :D

-- No truer words were said tho' by one of the BBC commentators: "For that performance, he deserved to win." Well, Denis CoPped the small medal gold for the fp and no matter judges' assessments or overall placements, Worlds 2013 is definitely a victory for Denis Ten. To me, the point is that Denis matured, he grew in personal stature this season and he put it altogether because something clicked inside him. Ultimately, that is the prize and that's what Denis needs to build upon ... all the rest is just chatter and endless fs controversy and blather. Skaters have no control over the way the sport is structured -- they never have and apparently never will. The thing is in order to truly win, a champion needs to rise above their own self-defeating thoughts on the inside and preconceived limitations imposed by the exterior world including the dismissive notions of others. Denis succeeded in doing that, not completely perfectly but definitely in an amazingly superb and inspiring fashion. He put the two best programs together in the men's event.

And Denis' talent is not a fluke:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOvelp8iG5A sp Torino Worlds 2010 (Look at the top poster's comment... prophetic: "Pretty awesome! And he's only 16, it's like wow. He is going to kick some ass in the future!")
    The talent and potential is just oozing out of Denis' pores in this performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNI829724Iw fp Torino Worlds 2010 (Even with the miscues, it's obvious what Denis needed was to mature and to learn how to harness his tremendous talent and to pace himself -- it took awhile longer. After all, he was only 16 at this point. Few skaters with talent have the opportunity to mature on the World stage.)

Here is Denis at age 15 on the World stage, under Tarasova:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHhAhgD25HY 2009 Worlds sp (If not A Star Is Born, he certainly threw his hat in the ring as someone to watch)

Denis certainly announced himself even more in the fp at 2009 Worlds:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzVJ7QtrDag

^^ But again he was only 15. Not unlike Michelle Kwan at 1995 Worlds, it wasn't Denis' time to make the podium. And then what with growth spurts, coaching changes, the maturity that was necessary, it took awhile longer for Denis to put it together and to harness more mature control of his talent. Amazing to think that Denis is still only 19 and he achieved what he did at Worlds in London. I hope and pray it is a good omen for more sparkling, refreshing and transcendent moments for Denis and for fs fans.

I'm compelled to say that the way IJS/ CoP is structured, it's made even more difficult for skaters to combine artistry with athleticism. An example of one of the ridiculous inane effects of IJS/ CoP, is the tuck spin automatically tacked on at the end of some spin sequences. Show me a skater who can effectively maintain speed on that crappy-looking point-gathering, must tack on spin element. How much more amazing could programs be if skaters were allowed to truly be free of limiting regulations in the fp.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  26. Sylvia