It's a girl!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by bobalina77, Dec 14, 2010.

1. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

We had our 3D ultrasound on Saturday and found out our peanut is a girl :biggrinbo

Watching her on the big screen was absolutely amazing! You feel them bumping around inside and you always wonder what the heck they're doing in there.. so actually seeing it was really cool! I love now that when I feel her I can kinda picture her in my head. Before all I had to go by was a fuzzy white blob that kinda looked like a baby and random movement lol! It was great for my fiance too because I get to feel her all the time, but he only gets to feel her once in a while when he puts his hand on my stomach. Watching him watch her on the screen in complete awe was priceless :) It was such a bonding experience for us. The detail is just.. wow.. and I would recommend anyone do it whether they want to find out the gender or not. The experience was worth the money even though she was stubborn about showing her face lol!

We've narrowed our names down to 4 and the plan is to choose from those 4 once she's born. I can't believe that once the holidays are over we'll only have 3 more months till her arrival day :eek:

oleada, Eden, manleywoman and 15 others like this.
  2. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

LOL@bobalina77! Congratulations and of course she will be a skating fan! Good luck and all the best for a healthy baby and a safe delivery. :cheer2: Oh yeah.... congratulations to the dad as well. :)

3. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

How thrilling! I am so happy for you! Big hugs and take great care of yourself! Sleep now, while you can! :) I only had one child, a girl, and now I am 61 and she is 38, and she is my closest, dearest friend and soul mate. I hope your little girl will be that for you, too, and bring you great joy.

4. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Mazel tov!

5. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Congrats!

Think of all the fun you'll have shopping for her... ;)

6. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

Yay! Girls are so much fun!

7. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

Congrats!

8. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Congrats! :cheer2:

9. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. As an imaging professional I can say we do not know all the long term risks of ultrasound. Doing one to assess the fetus prior to delivery and during development is one thing. Doing them just to see the fetus is another. It is unethical and unnecessary. The American Society of Sonography is opposed to the use of 3-D ultrasounds for this purpose.

agalisgv and (deleted member) like this.
  10. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Congratulations! :cheer2:

11. beepbeep

beepbeep Taking homeless Fabian home

Congratulations dear!!!! :swoon:
    A little Glamour Puss in the making!

But you gotta hand it that it's cool if you get to see it.

12. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

They are sure, though, right?

Everytime I hear people say "according to the ultrasound..." I think back to a former co-worker of mine who was 7 months pregnant when I started working with her. She had 2 boys already and she soooo wanted a girl, and she was told she was going to have one. Then, when the baby came out... it was a boy. She was so upset, she was crying about it in the delivery room, because she was counting on having a daughter.

13. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

I've heard that. I've only had one u/s this pregnancy and we have one more at 28 weeks because they couldn't get a good shot of the spine at the first one. I've known women who have had a whole lot more than that for various reasons. Obviously you need to use your best judgment, but it was a 20 min u/s. We weren't in there for an hour like at our anatomy scan.

Anyway I don't want to turn this thread into a debate about the evils of ultrasounds.

14. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

Yep she was pretty confident. There wasn't much doubt lol. That's funny.. I honestly don't know anyone who has found out the gender at an u/s just to have it be wrong.. but I do hear stories elsewhere lol!

15. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

My cousin's first baby was a girl according to three ultrasounds.

The story of his birth goes like this:

Doctor: It's a boy!

His mother and grandmother in unison: WHAT?

16. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I think ultrasound forecasts are more precise now than they were years ago, but I also remember a story like that. My oldest is 20, so this was probably around 15 years ago.

A friend's sister was expecting twins, and the parents asked to know the gender(s). The tech said they were having boy/girl twins and my friend's huge family was ecstatic! My friend was one of six siblings, and the baby's father had four brothers & sisters, all doting aunts and uncles waiting for their first niece and nephew. Everyone bought matching brother:sister outfits with vests/pants and matching dresses. The Christening suit and gown were pulled from the attic.

Needless to say, the twins turned out to be two boys. The dresses all went back to the store for exchange, and they had to borrow a Christening suit for Twin Boy B, hahaha.

Congratulations! Enjoy this special time of waiting and anticipation. Advent is a nice season to plan and reflect. Good health to you all!

17. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

Hearing this kind of makes me :confused:. Why are people so concerned with the gender? Especially when there are couples out there who try for years and can't conceive...I'm sure they'd be grateful for just one child, regardless of the sex.

18. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

How about we don't derail this particular thread with the tangential topics like criticism of wanting to know the sex of the baby and stories of how ultrasound fails.
    (it happens but most of the time it's correct these days, so don't worry!)

Again, congrats to you! Hope what's left of your pregnancy and delivery is easy and hope you have a happy and healthy baby! :)

cholla and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

Congrats! I had them for 3 of my 4, and they were never wrong on the gender. (if that makes you feel any better)

You had to pay? :confused: Why? My provincial insurance covered all mine. Of course, that was years ago but my daughter in law's was covered too come to think of it, and her last was only 6 years ago.

20. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

Stefanie I don't really get it either. We just wanted to know because we're both planners. If it turns out to be wrong then we'll deal with it but we would be happy either way.

Norlite they cover regular u/s but the 3D ones aren't covered because they aren't medical u/s.

Thank you IceAlisa :)

21. Gil-Galad

Gil-Galad Well-Known Member

Because people are not robots and don't always see everything rationally and logically. Yes, from a rational standpoint one should just be thankful to be able to have a child. Yes, there are really no major advantages to having a girl over a boy or the other way around. Yes, people should be thinking of others, who are less fortunate - instead of getting upset over the gender.

But having children and other family issues have generally not a lot to do with logic or rationality. I know a woman who has five daughters and just found out her sixth child will be a boy. She was not really upset, but feels very nervous and insecure about it - and from time to time thinks that she would be happier / more relaxed if this child was a girl, too. Which, in my opinion, is perfectly understandable. And it doesn't make her selfish or ungrateful, just human.

Congrats bobalina on your girl!

22. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Great news and glad you're doing well with the pregnancy! :)

Now comes the fun part - decorating and buying clothes, and picking out paint colors and names. :biggrinbo

23. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Congratulations!!

You had the option of this ultrasound? My understanding is that it is practically mandatory for expecting mothers. I'm also surprised you had to pay for it?

24. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

Congratulations!!!!! Please keep us updated as the big day approaches!

25. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

This wasn't our anatomy scan.. which is covered by medical. It was a 3D one done at a private clinic that isn't used for anything diagnostic. The anatomy scan is just the regular u/s with the white fuzzy blob that kinda has the outline of a baby lol. They wouldn't tell us the gender at the anatomy scan because it's their policy not to tell. They aren't allowed.

26. quarkiki2

quarkiki2 New Member

I had two ultrasounds with each of my first two kids. As much as I wanted to see them more, healthy pregnancy = fewer ultrasounds. I was OK with only seeing them twice because it meant that both baby and mama were healthy.

This time around, I've already had three ultrasounds. I'll have one in two weeks and one two weeks after that, then monthly growth scans. Sure is a difference expecting twins vs. singletons! According to the last ultrasound, they are both girls. I'm hoping that the tech will double-check at next week's before I buy fabric to make window treatments and crib bedding.

Conrats!!!

27. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I'll bet I can guess the 4 names: Michelle Kwan, Alissa Czisny, Dorothy Hamill, & Mirai Nagusu. (I even included middle names.) Well these would be my four.

Bobalina, March or April is a great birthday for a child. She will have her birthday during the school year & not around any holiday, and she will be 5 1/2 when she start kindergarten so she'll be more mature than the younger kids.

Congratulations to both of you.

28. ryanbfan

ryanbfan Active Member

Congratulations! How exciting for you :)... good luck with your baby! Can't wait to hear the name choice :)

29. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

There's a reason 3D aren't medically necessary. You can choose what to do to your unborn child. Just don't encourage others to do the same.

30. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

Congratulations bobalina!!