Italian skating/skaters news

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by pingu, May 30, 2011.

1. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

RAIsport2 showed the interviews made by Arianna Secondini (journalist commentator for RAI) in Detroit and Novi, here is a quick summary:

BH: we are not thinking of the medal anymore now. You think of it for, like, two weeks, then you move on and set new goals. It's nice, thinking back, to know that we have earned it, but now we are focusing on Worlds.
    Stefania: (showing her engagement ring) yeah Rockne asked me to marry him in front of his whole family, I dind't expect it at all but I want to sped the rest of my life with him.

CL: winning the bronze was just the beginning, they are very satisfied with how Euros went and it's the first big goal they have accomplished, but there are many more now. As we have no chances at making the podium here, we just want to do our best without having to worry about placements.

Marchei: my goal of course is to qualify for Sochi. the French team asked me when I came here to get accustomed to the time zone and I said: two years ago!! Detroit is home for me now.

GF: we are excited for our second world championships.
    Charlene: it's gonna be cool to skate in a sold out arena, I loves when the public supports you, it means a lot to me when the public is cheering a lot.

Della Monica/Guarise now in the commentating booth (is that how it is called?), I am taking some notes on what they say and I will post them later.

By the way guys, if you have any question for a Team Italy's athlete, feel free to post them here or send a PM to Eleonorad or me, as the off season is almost there and we are going to make again the off season interviews :)

2. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Ok guys as I am getting many messages from people about Anna and Luca's performance, and yesterday on Stefania and Ondrej's performance, I thought it would be better if anyone who wants to tell something/congratulate/cheer up any italian athlete, you can send me a PM or post it here and I'll give to the skater. :) I am sure they're all gonna appreciate them

3. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

4. reut

reut Active Member

5. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Let's see: last year's Nebelhorn was Sept 27, .2012 till Sept 29, 2012

This year's is the 25th to the 28th. Sadly, he misses out on the qualifier by a couple of days, provided, of course, Russia releases him.

However, if he competes after Nebelhorn for Italy in some senior Bs ,couldn't he compete for Italy in the team event? Italy has Carolina, Berton & Hotarek, and Capellini & Lanotte, and surely will be in the top 10 countries, and so will qualify for the team event?

6. reut

reut Active Member

Apparently he also competed at Cup of Nice, so the schedule of Nebelhorn next season doesn't really matter.

7. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Cup of Nice was in October, so wouldn't he still be OK for the team event at Olympics then?

In fact, does he need to have even competed for Italy (except of course at the Italian championships) to qualify for the team event? The article said his dad was Italian; I'm presuming he has dual citizenship with Italy already.

In any case, there are always Senior B's between October and the end of January, if he had to compete as an Italian.

8. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

I hope it works out for Ivan Bariev, he probably would have more opportunities to compete for Italy than he has for Russia. I am not sure about his waiting period, though. His last (international) competition for Russia indeed was the Coupe de Nice in October 2012. The relevant ISU rule states that in case you switch countries you need to wait 12 months for international competitions and 18 months for ISU Championships, counted from July 1 of the season you want to compete for your new country (which would be July 1, 2013).
    Rule 109:

2.b ii) before July 1st immediately prior to his first International Competition as a member of the Member, he has not
    competed in any International Competition or ISU Championship for another Member during the twelve (12) preceding months;
    2.b iii) before July 1st immediately prior to his first ISU Championship as a member of the Member, he has not competed in any International Competition or ISU Championship for another Member during the eighteen (18) preceding months

Rule 109 2b ii and iii refer to skaters who want to represent a country they are not citizens of, however, below it is stated that the waiting periods are the same for anyone who represented another country before:

If a Skater, who has already represented one Member in an International Competition or ISU Championship, intends to compete in
    the future for another Member, regardless of the grounds on which the possibility of such change is based, such Skater shall be subject to the waiting periods set forth in subparagraphs 2. b) ii) and iii) above.

If this is the case, Ivan would need to wait even though he has Italian citizenship, if I am understanding these rules correctly. The waiting periods are shorter for pairs and ice dancers.

9. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

By those rules he'd have to wait until 2014-15, where he wouldn't have competed for another country within 12 months of 1 July 2014 for international competitions and within 18 months of 1 July 2014 for ISU championships.

10. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

IFS Magazine just shared this photo on FB - Federica Faiella got married this past weekend (and here's the album link). Congratulations to the newlyweds :)

11. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Congratulations to Faiella and her lucky husband :cheer2:

12. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I saw that about Frederica. Congrats to her. She looked lovely.

13. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the info and the link.

Congrats to the Happy Couple!

14. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

There was a press conference about the official switch of two-time World Roller Skating Champion Dario Betti, 21, to figure skating. He will train in Milan under Lucia Civardi. Apparently he has landed the triple Axel on rollers and according to a well connected source can do "all triples" on ice.
    Article (in Italian): http://www.artonice.it/?q=it/node/13769

15. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting it :) The English translation is going to be online soon

16. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

17. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

The schedule for the next season's Italian national competitions is now out: Italian Nationals are going to be held in Merano (Alto Adige) from December 19th to 21st.
    It will be an interesting competition, especially for the battle for the third spot at Euros in ice dance, the second spot at the Olympics for the same discipline and the men's spot at the Olympics, if Italy gets one.

18. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

19. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

ups, double post

20. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

The Italian entries for the 2013 Grand Prix:

Skate America:
    Valentina Marchei
    Stefania Berton/Ondrej Hotarek
    Anna Cappellini/Luca Lanotte

Skate Canada:
    Stefania Berton/Ondrej Hotarek
    Charlène Guignard/Marco Fabbri

Cup Of China:
    Carolina Kostner

NHK Trophy:
    Valentina Marchei
    Cappellini/Lanotte

Trophée Bompard:
    Nicole Della Monica/Matteo Guarise

Rostelecom Cup:
    Carolina Kostner

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  21. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

http://www.laprovinciadicomo.it/sto...a-in-pista-obiettivo-le-olimpiadi_1008554_11/
    A little article of a local newspaper (La Provincia di Como) about Cappellini/Lanotte.
    Translation:

22. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

I forgot to add that in a couple of weeks I'll probably interview Della Monica/Guarise as we are going to start with our summer interviews, so if you have any question for them feel free to post them here :) Grazie!!

23. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Thanks!

Another interview with Dario Betti: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130619&content_id=51105672&vkey=ice_news
    Excerpt:
    Berton/Hotarek are currently training at Detroit Skating Club - photo link here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...t-Detroit-SC&p=3941469&viewfull=1#post3941469

24. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link! It's always great to read articles about Italian skaters from international websites :D
    Regarding Berton/Hotarek, they are going to train in Detroit until the end of August.

25. rosewood

rosewood Wheeee! Wonder babies!

With Google translater, the article says Mishin refused Carolina Koster. Did Carolina ask him to be her coach till Sochi Oly or she just wanted to join his camp in Italy? Does anyone have any information? :confused:
    http://www.sovsport.ru/news/text-item/619475

26. reut

reut Active Member

From the context he refused her to join his summer camp which is held in Italy now stating that it's not because of Sochi, but because they learned that when she comes back "she tells everything to her coach" LOL

I don't know if in this specific case there was any request from Carolina, maybe there was indeed. But I also know that Prof. Mishin loves to tell stories about refusing some elite foreign skaters. Before Vancouver he loved to mention that he repeatedly refused Lambiel to train with him. Stéphane was very surprised to learn that. :D

27. jiggs

jiggs Well-Known Member

I also doubt she asked him to join the training camp - it has been a while that she joined him there ... also, she only just got back from Canada where she got her programs done and is now joining the IceDome camps in Oberstdorf. And the fact that she would talk to her coach about her trainings with Mishin is only natural ... who would not update his own coach about what you have been doing in other training camps? Weird news ...

28. reut

reut Active Member

Not so weird if you're used to Mishin's interviews. Sometimes professor is a bit delusional.:rolleyes:

29. rosewood

rosewood Wheeee! Wonder babies!

Thanks for explaining the context of the article, reut! That's a relief to know it's just about the summer camp, 'cause Carolina doesn't need to change her coaches at all. As for Mishin's big mouse, I know when he talks cynically about someone, it means he thinks he/she is a very good skater. ;)

30. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

http://vimeo.com/62681417
    This is a video about Valentina Marchei, where she explains how she started skating and why she loves so much this sport. It's a short video, but very well done in my opinion. It was done right after the European Championships :)
    I'll post a translation of it as soon as I have time, but even if you don't understand Italian it's worth to watch it because it shows so pics of a very young Valentina :)