Italian skating/skaters news

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by pingu, May 30, 2011.

1. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Very crappy translation:
    Anna: we are very happy to deserve this Final, and we want to show our best.

"Anna Cappellini and Luca Lanotte are among the six best ice dancers in the world. Thanks to the two silver medals gained in Canada and in Paris, they will comepte in Sochi at the second Grand Prix Final in their career.
    In Russia the Battle of the Carmens will happen again: the Olympic champions' Carmen and the Azzurri's"

Luca: we really want to give our best, very have worked so hard, and I hope to do justice to our Carmen.

Anna: when we started to talk about using Carmen we had doubts about it being an overused music, but as soon as we listened to it on the ice, I knew I wanted to be a Carmen! A lot of people have skated to it, there are so many different interpretations of it. The key is how you intepret it, because everyone knows its story, how it ends. It has been an honour for me, it was like being the ballerina that, among all the others ballerinas of the dance company, has been chosen to interpret Carmen. I like it and when I skate I try to communicate that feeling as much as I can.

2. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Does Italy have a competitive Men's skater? How will things set up come World Team Trophy and the team event at the Olympics?
    Oh how I miss Carolina. Loveliest young lady and super speedy skater.

3. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

I think it depends on what you do mean with "competitive" :shuffle: At Italian Nationals the battle for the first place will be between Paolo Bacchini and Paul Parkinson. I guess we will see what they will be able to do at the European and World Chamipionships.

4. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

5. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

My very crappy translation:

[GPF in Sochi this weekend...other important competition in Dortmund...Olympic champion Yu Na Kim competing...Berton/Hotarek willing to continue the positive trend they had in the Grand Prix series]

Stefania: we are happy with the results we have achieved so far. last year we gained one (GP medal). This year we improved our programs, our personal bests, our elements, and therefore our results.

"They gained two bronze medals at the Grand Prix in Canada and Paris, and they are substitutes for the GPF in Sochi. Stefania Berton and Ondrej Hotarek's career is improving quickly. They have two special programs, Paint It Black and Poeat En El Viento, and precise goals."

Stefania: we try to get on the podium whenever it is possible. Obviously it's difficult, there are a lot of factors that have to happen, luck and so on, but who knows, we keep on working hard, those podiums will come sooner or later.
    Ondrej: people watch us, they are happy with our results and improvements. We understood that because after the competitions we attended this year we also had to do an exhibition, so people do not only want to watch us compete, but perform in a show as well, and this makes us different and unique from everyone else.

6. eleonorad

eleonorad New Member

7. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Who knew selecting a second or third men's spot for this year's Euros would provide so much drama this year? So, Parkinson is going to Euros anyway, but Zandron was replaced by Bacchini? I have to say overruling your own council seems a little strange but Speedy already set a fine example when it comes to getting drunk on your own power.

8. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

9. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

^Thank you for sharing. Anna and Luca are so sweet, love this team and of course their costumes!

10. reut

reut Active Member

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  11. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Uups I forgot to repy to Reut's post! I love that interview, and I like when skaters talk about their own view on figure skating, IMO it's interesting to see how every of them has a different opinion on this sport :)

Talking about the European Championships, Eleonorad and I are publishing the interviews we did in Zagreb. The first one is about Anna and Luca, we asked them about their first European medal, how they lived the competition and their goals for the World Championships :)

http://www.artonice.it/?q=en/node/13281

As always any comment, critic, suggestion is welcome!

12. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

My suggestion: Can you start a new thread with your C/L interview so that more people will likely see/open/read it? :)

13. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Ok! We are going to publish many interviews so I didn't want to open too many threads...but maybe it's better to do it? :)

14. Sylvia

I think the 2013 European medalists deserve their own interview/article threads in GSD. :) Maybe for the rest you could create a new "Art On Ice interviews" thread for this season's remaining competitions?

15. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Ok :)

Talking about Italian skaters news, Anna and Luca are performing at Art On Ice in Zurich, Lausanne and Davos. AbsoluteSkating posted a couple of pictures about them on Facebook:

Picture 1

Picture 2

16. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

17. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

18. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I see Stefania Berton has had a pretty great time not just on the ice but also in her personal life... congratulations to the couple :)

19. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

20. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

21. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  22. eleonorad

eleonorad New Member

Looks like another world champion of roller skating will switch tothe ice and try to enter the national team. His name is Dario Betti, and the italian magazine Doppio Axel announced his decision today on its facebook page. He is now training in the Agorà ice rink in Milan with Civardi who also helped Guarise in his transition to ice skating. There's also a link to a video of one of his roller skating performances http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgfZHeqTP7Y. I assume that since he competed in the men's singles he will stick to this discipline. Apparently he has trained for a while already and the results are encouraging.

23. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

I wish him good luck! It's sad that roller skaters feel the need to cross over, I assume they wouldn't feel so tempted if roller was an olympic sport... they need new challenges I guess.

(and he is good-looking too, yay! ;))

24. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Well, Italian men were definitely under-whelming at this year's Europeans so additional competition at home would be welcome. Hope this works out for him.

25. Sylvia

26. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

27. Tanja90

Tanja90 New Member

This is a great news! I saw him live just a couple of months ago and he is gorgeous! He skated in a small exhibition organized by the local club and he landed a perfect 3lz3t...and I mean PERFECT! usually in roller skating you see a lot of bad landings and underrotated jumps but in his case his jumps are so clean and smooth! and it wad in an exhibition!!! I know that on the ice everything is different but he really has a good chance and he is young! Good luck to him!

28. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Ah, that was really impressive! Loved the music choice, choreography, presentation, etc.

I'm always amazed that the roller skaters can do such huge triple jumps with those big, heavy looking roller skates attached to their feet too. :kickass:

29. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Yes, that was nice. First I watched it without music on, and then it even looked a bit funny to me (first time watching roller skating :)), but with the music on it was quite different. Can't say that I like his posture (quite wooden), but his musicality is really good (can't be said of many ice skaters).

30. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Skate America! Go!

I liked him too, very nice interpretation.

I was wondering about a couple of things when watching:

It seemed to me that he did a lot of cross overs before the jumps - is this because you need the bigger speed for jumping on surface with much more friction, or do some roller skaters do steps into jumps like figure skaters?
    I assume there is no concept of edges in roller skating? Is this a challenge to learn for roller skaters transitioning to ice (for instance flip/lutz difference, variety of edges in footwork)

crossovers always look so short and 'funny' to me for roller skaters, must be because they need shorter glides to not loose speed on a surface with such high friction.

Good luck to him - with how the Italian team is doing otherwise, some guy could probably get a ticket to the team event in Sochi at the least!