Italian skating/skaters news

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by pingu, May 30, 2011.

1. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Uups I forgot to repy to Reut's post! I love that interview, and I like when skaters talk about their own view on figure skating, IMO it's interesting to see how every of them has a different opinion on this sport :)

Talking about the European Championships, Eleonorad and I are publishing the interviews we did in Zagreb. The first one is about Anna and Luca, we asked them about their first European medal, how they lived the competition and their goals for the World Championships :)

http://www.artonice.it/?q=en/node/13281

As always any comment, critic, suggestion is welcome!
  2. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

My suggestion: Can you start a new thread with your C/L interview so that more people will likely see/open/read it? :)
  3. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Ok! We are going to publish many interviews so I didn't want to open too many threads...but maybe it's better to do it? :)
  4. Sylvia

I think the 2013 European medalists deserve their own interview/article threads in GSD. :) Maybe for the rest you could create a new "Art On Ice interviews" thread for this season's remaining competitions?
  5. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Ok :)

Talking about Italian skaters news, Anna and Luca are performing at Art On Ice in Zurich, Lausanne and Davos. AbsoluteSkating posted a couple of pictures about them on Facebook:

Picture 1

Picture 2
  6. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

7. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

8. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I see Stefania Berton has had a pretty great time not just on the ice but also in her personal life... congratulations to the couple :)
  9. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

10. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

11. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. eleonorad

eleonorad New Member

Looks like another world champion of roller skating will switch tothe ice and try to enter the national team. His name is Dario Betti, and the italian magazine Doppio Axel announced his decision today on its facebook page. He is now training in the Agorà ice rink in Milan with Civardi who also helped Guarise in his transition to ice skating. There's also a link to a video of one of his roller skating performances http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgfZHeqTP7Y. I assume that since he competed in the men's singles he will stick to this discipline. Apparently he has trained for a while already and the results are encouraging.
  13. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

I wish him good luck! It's sad that roller skaters feel the need to cross over, I assume they wouldn't feel so tempted if roller was an olympic sport... they need new challenges I guess.

(and he is good-looking too, yay! ;))
  14. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Well, Italian men were definitely under-whelming at this year's Europeans so additional competition at home would be welcome. Hope this works out for him.
  15. Sylvia

16. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

17. Tanja90

Tanja90 New Member

This is a great news! I saw him live just a couple of months ago and he is gorgeous! He skated in a small exhibition organized by the local club and he landed a perfect 3lz3t...and I mean PERFECT! usually in roller skating you see a lot of bad landings and underrotated jumps but in his case his jumps are so clean and smooth! and it wad in an exhibition!!! I know that on the ice everything is different but he really has a good chance and he is young! Good luck to him!
  18. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Ah, that was really impressive! Loved the music choice, choreography, presentation, etc.

I'm always amazed that the roller skaters can do such huge triple jumps with those big, heavy looking roller skates attached to their feet too. :kickass:
  19. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Yes, that was nice. First I watched it without music on, and then it even looked a bit funny to me (first time watching roller skating :)), but with the music on it was quite different. Can't say that I like his posture (quite wooden), but his musicality is really good (can't be said of many ice skaters).
  20. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Well-Known Member

I liked him too, very nice interpretation.

I was wondering about a couple of things when watching:

It seemed to me that he did a lot of cross overs before the jumps - is this because you need the bigger speed for jumping on surface with much more friction, or do some roller skaters do steps into jumps like figure skaters?
    I assume there is no concept of edges in roller skating? Is this a challenge to learn for roller skaters transitioning to ice (for instance flip/lutz difference, variety of edges in footwork)

crossovers always look so short and 'funny' to me for roller skaters, must be because they need shorter glides to not loose speed on a surface with such high friction.

Good luck to him - with how the Italian team is doing otherwise, some guy could probably get a ticket to the team event in Sochi at the least!
  21. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Thank you so much for posting this -- she's delightful!
  22. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

It will be interesting to see his edge quality and axel technique.
  23. Sk8swan

Sk8swan Well-Known Member

I can tell you there are EDGES in roller skating too! Rollers are fixed in a way that when you push on the outside, the outside rollers get closer together therefore you can "curve" same if you push on the inside part of the skate (dunno how to explain it better!). They need much more effort to achieve than with ice skates though!
  24. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Well-Known Member

interesting! I am so impressed with roller skates at that level, I don't understand how they keep up the speed like this guy did in his foot work sequence.
  25. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Wow, he is awesome!

Great posture and lines, skated to the music very well and his timing on the jumps is great.

I hope he can transition to the ice successfully. :)
  26. amesic

amesic Member

27. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member

i.e., when you go for an right forward inside edge, the axis of the two pairs of wheel do not stay parallel (||) but bend (/\) so 'your skate goes left'. it amplifies the motion, which is quite tricky when coming from inline skates (and having forgotten the roller skating from many years ago ^^)
  28. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Now that Contesti has retired, is there another competitive man that can help form the Italian team to contend for the Olympic Team Event? Perhaps they can count on this roller guy?
  29. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

30. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

That was fun to watch. He gets some great height on those jumps. I hope there will be some articles or interviews talking about transition to the ice for him. Cool!
  31. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

They have two hopelessly inconsistent skaters at the moment with very slim chances of qualifying to the Olympics.
  32. jiggs

jiggs New Member

^ They have Paul Parkinson Bonifacio who is Italian Champion and who has a pretty decent 3a but he totally bombed at Europeans and as far as I remember didn't qualify for the FP there. And then there is Paolo Bacchini who just makes me :yikes: whenever I see his horizontal jumps. I don't think there is anyone else and the chances of one of them qualifying for the Olympics are very slim, as Ziggy already said. It is a shame because the Italian Team is really strong in all other disciplines right now ...
  33. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

They both have jumps up to 3axel, just fall apart totally in competition most of the time.

Their SPs are Euros were just :yikes:.
  34. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

35. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Interesting that they are giving Francesca Rio a chance. She's a lovely skater and strong in the SP and actually hast got the Min Score multiple times in that portion but tends to completely fall apart in the LP. Challenge Cup is her last chance.
  36. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

it's maybe why she got the spot. being able to get to the free is more important than doing great fs when you don't get the chance to get there
  37. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Unfortunately Francesca Rio's TES at the Challenge Cup was 37.99, she hasn't achieved the 46 points required as a minimum score and therefore Carol Bressanutti will go to Fake London.
  38. Tony Wheeler

Tony Wheeler Well-Known Member

Bressanutti for sure, or is it between her and Roberta Rodeghiero, who also has the minimum and is listed as another substitute?
  39. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Carol is listed as the first substitute so I guess she will go to Worlds.
  40. Tony Wheeler

Tony Wheeler Well-Known Member

:lol: It's alphabetic order for substitutes.