Italian Judge Walter Toigo Receives Two Year Suspension

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Jenna, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

The ISU has banned Toigo from judging any ISU sanctioned competitions for two full years. In addition, he has been banned from judging national competitions, in Italy, during this time period. For those who may have forgotten or never realized, Toigo was the subject of a judging controversy back in late August. At the JGP in Courchevel, France, Togio was accused of directly copying the marks of the judge seated next to him, Wendy Enzmann of the United States, during the mens' free skating competition. Videos surfaced on youtube showing awfully suspicious behavior on the part of Toigo, but to my knowledge, he never publicly admitted to any cheating. Interesting, to say the least.

Credit goes to Tony Wheeler for reporting this news. :)

http://www.flutzingaround.com/2011/02/first-things-first-remember-walter.html

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  2. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I guess Tony Wheeler IS responsible!

3. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Toigo's 2 year suspension is now official:

4. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

Hopefully he spends these next two years brushing up on whatever part of the judging system that was confusing him that day. :rolleyes: And he should have to prove he actually knows what the heck he's doing if he ever does try to judge again. I mean, a bunch of people on this board could assign appropriate GOE for elements without copying off our neighbor... A trained judge really shouldn't be confused. Maybe he just zoned out and missed a couple elements (which of course would mean he wouldn't know how to score them)? It just seems really hard to believe that he would need to copy off another judge.

5. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

ITA. Toigo has been around for a longggg time, too. Who knows how many times he has done this before he was caught on video!