It has been 20 years since one of the world's greatest album came out

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Aussie Willy, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

2. Amy L

Amy L Well-Known Member

I got this CD for Christmas when I was 11. I feel ancient. On the other hand, CDs last pretty well, mine still works!

3. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Ha Ha. I got my first alblum when I was 11, it was "Meet the Beatles". It wasn't even stereo (that came later). I still have it, and it works too.

PDilemma and (deleted member) like this.
  4. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I was confused by this thread title because I know it hasn't been 20 years since Kelly Clarkson released Breakaway. :shuffle:

Jem X and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

You haven't just said that. :lynch:

6. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

It is my favorite album. I can't help it. Kelly is insanely good. Although I will give Lauryn Hill's The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill a close 2nd place.

7. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

OT here, but you've heard the song by Maroon 5, "Moves like Jagger?" I looked up the meaning of the song and in the comments by readers section at the bottom, someone cracked me up when they asked, "Who's Jagger?" LOL!

Makes me feel old!:lol:

8. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

I was walking down the street in Manhattan on the day after John Lennon was murdered and overheard someone say, "Hey, did you know that Paul McCartney was in another band before Wings?" That made me feel old as well. :lol:

9. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

My first CD was Spice.

10. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

OMG :rofl:

I like some Nirvana songs, but greatest album? meh.

My first CD was Ace of Base. :shuffle: Every song was good - because every song sounded exactly the same.

11. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I agree, although Aussie Willy said "one of". Of the "grunge" bands I preferred Soundgarden or Pearl Jam. Vedder and Cornell could do more with their voices as well, IMO.

Cyn,

I totally agree. Love Alice in Chains!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  12. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Alice in Chains - the harmonies Layne Staley and Jerry Cantrell created were amazing (I always thought AIC was a far better band than Nirvana).

13. skateycat

skateycat Minecraft Widow

Little skateycat knows the song Sliver because it's played on a kid's music podcast he listens to. He also asks whether musicians are alive or dead. He's asked me more than a couple of times why Kurt Cobain is dead.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Louise

Louise Banned Member

Wow. I bought this CD the day it came out. Only 20 years? God, I remember albums I bought 30 years ago. I tried the grunge thing but didn't really fit. This was a great album.

15. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

I agree with both of these posts. :D

16. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Not everyone may think this is one of the world's greatest albums, but it was certainly one of the most influential of its times. It showed that heavier rock/grunge would sell just as well as more poppy songs (even though there were pretty melodic songs under the loud noise), and really changed record companies' thinking as to what was "commercial".

I didn't appreciate Nevermind at all at the time, and thought that Smells Like Teen Spirit was shrieky dreck, but now I really like it.

17. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Each generation has its own “greatest album” seems to me. For one gen., Nirvana was it. Perhaps in my antediluvian times, it was Sgt. Pepper. For those a tad younger, Dark Side of the Moon, and so on. It all depends on where your head was at. :)

AYS and (deleted member) like this.
  18. aliceanne

19. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

Yep.

And my first 45? Last Kiss I wore it out. Either that or my mom broke it :D

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Civic

Civic New Member

I'm reminded of a conversation I had with a student assistant the night after the Grammy Awards. This was the year Robert Plant and Alison Kraus won a Grammy for their "Raising Sand" album.

Student: Did you watch the Grammys last night.

Me: No, I didn't.

Student: They said that old guy who won the Grammy for best bluegrass album used to sing in a rock band called Led Zeppelin. Do you remember them?

Me: Yes, I do. And that old guy was hot stuff back in the day.

21. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

22. Civic

Civic New Member

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  23. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Mine too :D

Ironically enough, I went to karaoke this week, and a bunch of people our age decided to sing Wannabe. And then we sang 2 Become 1.

24. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

My first album was Cheap Trick's live at budakon, but the greatest album ever is Def Leppard's Hysteria.

I do remember the first time I heard "Smells Like Teen Spirit" though. I was in grad school and driving to my job when it came on the radio. I nearly blew the speakers out of my Geo Storm. :)

25. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Who?...

I still listen to the Spice Girls regularly and their reunion tour A2 concert was pretty much my favorite night ever.

I don't know what Generation Y's biggest album is. I'm a little afraid that it's probably Britney's first album but I wouldn't be surprised.

And then I went to go see what the bestselling album of 2000-2009 was... and it was The Beatle's 1 album. Huh. If 1999 was included BSB's Millennium would have topped the list, though.

I have no idea. There aren't really that many touchstone artists from my generation who have been going strong long enough. Britney, Eminem... uh, not even sure who else to list. Usher, maybe.

Guess I'll know better in a few decades...

26. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

If you're going to rank them by sales, then apparently Shania Twain is the voice of the 90s. Nevermind is all the way down at 29. Kid Rock and the Titanic Soundtrack sold better among other dreck.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/syltguides/fullview/1S0SYHCCVKIAM

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  27. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

Oh my! Do you really have to have been there to know Jagger and The Dark Side of the Moon? It's like asking: "What was that thing, Woodstock? I wasn't born yet".

(I'll admit though: I don't know by the top of my head if it's "Dark Side of the Moon" or "The Dark Side of the Moon" - I'd have to check).

28. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I went into the coffee shop today and they were playing Nevermind. I was going to groove with the barista on it, but then I realized he was probably about 5-6 when it came out :lol:

I moved to Seattle 6 months before this record came out. I was too broke to go to shows, even local bands (I remember being irritated that local shows cost $8!! :D) so I missed the opportunity to see Nirvana before they broke into the bigtime, sigh.

Love Nirvana, and love nevermind - but even Kurt freely admitted that "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was a Pixies ripoff. You want to talk one of the world's greatest albums? Try Doolittle.

29. aliceanne

You have so much more to choose from! When the Mick and the Beatles came out there were 3 or 4 television stations to choose from and 3 or 4 local radio stations. The record companies controled the airplay and the tv networks controled the news. It was easy to totally dominate the media. Barry Gordy did manage to squeeze Motown in, and there was the occasional standard (Sinatra, Martin), but that was it except for some local stations that specialized in jazz or classical music.

30. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I was more into Aerosmith and Alanis Morrissette(sp) at the time than I was Nirvana. I like some of Nirvana's songs, but I always felt they were overrated. The lyrics were along the lines of Red Hot Chili Peppers, where you're left going "ok that had a good beat/tune, but wtf did any of it mean?"

Also, first album I ever got, was a Michael Jackson Thriller Cassette :)